Is plugin market going down?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's your opinion on that? For example, Voxengo web site visits have increased considerably, like by 20-30% in the last year yet there was no similar impact on sales. Moreover, "sales per visitor" generally have decreased in the course of the last 2 to 3 years. Some big restructurization of the market has happened for sure and I can't grasp its meaning, and where it goes.

Musicmaking does not attract people anymore? People do not need more plugins?

Better plugins included in DAWs and better freeware invade your territory from below, big names offering relatively affordable plugins invade from above, plus there are more and more competitors at your level. The potential number of clients is surely growing, but the youngest segment will probably expect to get it all for free or very little, while the old guard who were used to paying lots of money have probably reached saturation.

And no offence, but your website looks a bit 2005, and your GUIs could also be more 'contemporary'. Those of us who have been around for a while associate Voxengo with great freeware and quality at a good price, but newcomers are likely to be more attracted to shinier-looking toys. You seem to have gone off the radar a bit, despite regular updates.

Some of your increase is probably due to the plugin that was included with Cubase a version or so ago, no? I know that I was surprised that it was there and had to check to figure out where it came from. Took me a minute to realize that it came with Cubase.

ghettosynth wrote:Some of your increase is probably due to the plugin that was included with Cubase a version or so ago, no? I know that I was surprised that it was there and had to check to figure out where it came from. Took me a minute to realize that it came with Cubase.
No. CurveEQ inclusion in Cubase had no much impact, we are actually doing very well on our own as far as online presence is considered. The problem is the reduction of conversion rates.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Some of your increase is probably due to the plugin that was included with Cubase a version or so ago, no? I know that I was surprised that it was there and had to check to figure out where it came from. Took me a minute to realize that it came with Cubase.
No. CurveEQ inclusion in Cubase had no much impact, we are actually doing very well on our own as far as online presence is considered. The problem is the reduction of conversion rates.
Sure, of course I wouldn't know, just a thought. I know that the plugin caused me to spend some time on your site. I was simply hypothesizing that some of your traffic increase might be due to that. It's really the only reason that I've visited your site in the last year or two.

I think it's a few factors that all combine. Firstly the plug-in market is saturated. There are a lot of good tools out there, and the number of developers is increasing. This is obviously going to lead to a smaller market share all around.

Secondly with increased living costs globally seaming to be getting worse constantly, coupled with the ease of piracy now days - I'd say generally people are more likely to pirate software than pay for it now than ever before.
Feed The Paw

Perhaps it should have gone down a long time ago. An EQ is just an EQ but there are a zillion EQ plugins in the market. A reasonable person wouldn't buy several different ones unless s/he has a lot of disposable income for inessential things but for a long time they had been doing exactly that. Looks like a first world problem:) iPhone, iPad, iWatch, iDontKnow, and iEndOfNonsense will follow. One cannot hide bad investment decisions forever.

There is another situation. There are newer midi keyboards on the market with incredible aftertouch capabilities and if they were available 20 years ago electronic music would take a different direction. They are available now. Are musicians responding? No. Phat bass from an ancient toy (analog or not) is more interesting to them, as well as shiny plugin GUI's on retina displays.
~stratum~

TheCatBurglar wrote:I'd say generally people are more likely to pirate software than pay for it now than ever before.
Whether that's true in general, or not, I wouldn't know. What I do know, from my own buying habits is that what I'm willing to pay per plugin is really quite low for the most part. This is especially true for effects.

There are really a lot of great choices that become available on promotions at great prices.

stratum wrote:Perhaps it should have gone down a long time ago. An EQ is just an EQ but there are a zillion EQ plugins in the market. A reasonable person wouldn't buy several different ones unless s/he has a lot of disposable income for inessential things but for a long time they had been doing exactly that. Looks like a first world problem:) iPhone, iPad, iWatch, iDontKnow, and iEndOfNonsense will follow. One cannot hide bad investment decisions forever.

There is another situation. There are newer midi keyboards on the market with incredible aftertouch capabilities and if they were available 20 years ago electronic music would take a different direction. They are available now. Are musicians responding? No. Phat bass from an ancient toy (analog or not) is more interesting to them, as well as shiny plugin GUI's on retina displays.
Thanks for the virtue signaling, Gandhi. I think the OP was looking for useful feedback. Lol.

. I think the OP was looking for useful feedback. Lol.
:lol: ignore it then, lets not further clutter his thread.
~stratum~

Voxengo's site could definitely use an overhaul (more high-res photos, more videos/tutorials, etc.), and I'm sorry to say that. (As a web developer, I know site overhauls are not fun.)

The good thing about Voxengo--is just that: good things. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone say anything negative about your products or company. So you have that going for you--and that's saying a lot.

The problem is, it's difficult to distinguish what makes Voxengo's plug-ins "better" than anyone else's. You have to differentiate yourself--especially when all your plug-ins look very similar. What I'm saying here is that your plug-ins don't visually differentiate themselves from each other, and overall, they don't differentiate themselves from the competition.

I'm not suggesting you start using fancy, modeled GUIs that look like their hardware counterparts, no. But I don't think the word is getting out about what makes Voxengo's stuff better than the competition. Your website needs to tell that story--through interview videos and articles, tutorials, audio samples, endorsements from famous (or soon-to-be famous) producers and engineers, and even everyday musos like us slobs on KVR. :wink:

There are just too many plug-ins out there that already do what we need. We don't need one more LA-2A clone. What we need is to know how to use what we have better and more efficiently. I know you were going to post articles, but I don't know if that got off the ground. And while a generic article on how to use a compressor is nice, a specific article/video about why we should be using Voxengo's Marquis Compressor (for example) is much better. Especially when you tell us what it can do that the others can't (or can't do as well), and how to get the most out of it. Your Marquis Compressor offers several things most others don't, but I didn't know that until I read a bit about it to answer your question here.

You have several great plug-ins at great price points. You could probably get a bit more market share (taken from the other developers who also offer at this price point) if people knew what made your effects as good as (if not better than) others in their class. You don't need to mention the competition by name, and you don't need to be "aggressive" with any of this. But showing us that your effects offer more than we thought they did (or did things easier or faster) for the price we were already considering paying will convert demo users into buyers.

And we need new "pro-level" reviews of your products. Articles on your site from the last decade won't impress too many people, I'm afraid. Frankly, it just looks like no one wants to review your stuff anymore. And as good as Voxengo's stuff is, I find that hard to believe.

There are other things you could do to convert traffic into sales, but I think you'll find many people here suggesting some form of what I've offered. I hope you find something that helps! :)

If you'd like a more detailed response, feel free to PM me. We've chatted before (via e-mail) about your articles, and I'm always interested in helping.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Many many factors ..1.Musicians that bought your plugins are older now ...2. The entitlement generation/Musicians may not purchase plugins or are happy with included DAW plugins .3. in your case outdated website and plugin GUIs , very Window 95 ish most millennials Musicians are probably WTFing and are turned off.4. Better included DAW plugins bundled .

Cheap hardware must surly be cutting in on plugin sales ?
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

No one can ignore the importance of gui. If you have two different equal good EQ people will prefer to buy the one with the best looking gui. That's a fact. Period. If you want to sell anything, plugins or whatever, you have to market the product to appeal to people's emotions. Add the usual bs like warmth and how good and professional your mix will be with the dev's plugins or how cool your lifestyle will be among friends with the new pants, shoes etc etc.

Daimonicon wrote:No one can ignore the importance of gui. If you have two different equal good EQ people will prefer to buy the one with the best looking gui. That's a fact. Period. If you want to sell anything, plugins or whatever, you have to market the product to appeal to people's emotions. Add the usual bs like warmth and how good and professional your mix will be with the dev's plugins or how cool your lifestyle will be among friends with the new pants, shoes etc etc.
EQ GUIs are basically similar except thin lines of controls on the top and bottom of the interface.

"Cool lifestyle" marketing is mainly for teenagers I think. Voxengo's visitors are 30-50 y.o. people in average.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”