Spire vs Predator 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These days i'm trying Predator 2 it's a nice synth but have some doubts about every new vst synth on the market - is it well made,will it be usable long enough to worth the money ,so on...
Rob Papen is a serious name and i like what P2 show me so far,especially the morphing stuff but still i have non expiring demo of Spire,it's proven for popular music, i do some experiments and like it more and more every day - at some point this year may need another vst synth for commercial stuff so please share what are you thinking about these two.Thanks :)
P.S:Free bass preset for Spire made in two minutes - is it Ok?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VELLISLAV on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I can't comment on Predator 2, but, Spire is my main workhorse for VA purposes, simply sounds awesome. It may fall a bit short for sound design, i prefer other synths for that, because, simply, the concept is not quite as well thought out than on other synths, and you do realize that they added a lot of stuff, and some stuff appears to be a bit unfinished/messy. It's absolutely usable nonetheless, and also allows for some quick programming, especially with the copy/paste functions for the oscillators, and quick access to all sections. What has been especially a nice addition are the macro knobs, which allow several assignments in the mod matrix, and make things like controlling the detune of all oscillators simultaneously possible.

BTW, IF you opt for Spire, i'd be quick. The current 30 % off sale runs until the 8th of January.

There is an 'a' missing in Predtor2 in the thread title 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote:There is an 'a' missing in Predtor2 in the thread title 8)
hahaha fixed :):):)

chk071 wrote:I can't comment on Predator 2, but, Spire is my main workhorse for VA purposes, simply sounds awesome. It may fall a bit short for sound design, i prefer other synths for that, because, simply, the concept is not quite as well thought out than on other synths, and you do realize that they added a lot of stuff, and some stuff appears to be a bit unfinished/messy. It's absolutely usable nonetheless, and also allows for some quick programming, especially with the copy/paste functions for the oscillators, and quick access to all sections. What has been especially a nice addition are the macro knobs, which allow several assignments in the mod matrix, and make things like controlling the detune of all oscillators simultaneously possible.

BTW, IF you opt for Spire, i'd be quick. The current 30 % off sale runs until the 8th of January.
u read my mind :)Spire is sure bet so many people use it,but you know as sound designer everybody want to discover new territories :)The price isn't so important to hurry now,its about to take the right synth - i bought Sylenth1 v.3 last year at a normal price and already made 1000+ will see what will people say about the set when i release it ,but the question is the new synth to makes you feel creative as designer or user :)

What genre are you doing sounds for? May also help in the decision making. :) If you do EDM, i'd definitely go for Spire, it's simply perfect for that. Although the problem then might be that the market is quite saturated, because everyone is doing EDM soundsets for it. ;)

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:They're both great. They both cover the same kind of sonic territory, so it's all down to preference, taste and so on.

I think I prefer Spire's UI which is just beautiful. But I'm happy with Predator 2 at the moment, unless Spire goes down considerably in price. :hihi:
Actually, i got my 2nd license for the price of the Beat magazine's subscription, 69 € for the year's subscription, plus Spire as a gift. :) Sold my former license then, and still had a bit of money left after that. Still, i think 139 is an okay price for it. But, for price, i don't know if i'd really get it. For a professional surely not a problem to shell out the full price for it, but, as a hobbyist, i have to consider.

Yeah both probably will be most used EDM synths in 2017 u know everybody want to make super cool signature sound set but ... if people don't like it, it's like Christmas wish which Santa forget hahahhaa :):):)i still work on Synthmaster and Sylenth sets to be released and then depending on results i will invest the money in some vst or hardware... will see what happens and what will be the challenge next few months :):):)

i prefer spire but it is unstable as compared to predator which i have yet to have a problem with...

As far as sound is concerned (I know, I know...), for me Spire is million miles ahead from Predator 2. Maybe they do not even share the same galaxy.

Spire is far from being my favourite synth ever simply because it's not the most powerful I own, but it's one of the very, very best sounding ones for sure !!!

Try to make a similar patch from scratch with different synths. I've made it. For me, the best sound engines of all the synths I know are Spire and Rapid (Synthmaster and Mux also are great). A matter of tastes, soundcard, hears, monitors and headphones of course. But Predator 2 is nowhere near the best sound engines for me.

I won't comment on the workflow or design, it depends on too many things. The workflow I prefer is Falcon... And here imho Spire still wins both categories against Predator 2.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

I recently tried the Spire demo and wasn't terribly impressed. I'd probably buy it at some point at the $99 mark just to add it to my collection but I have better alternatives so Spire is nothing I really need. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

inkwarp wrote:i prefer spire but it is unstable as compared to predator which i have yet to have a problem with...
Yup, I'm in the same boat. I've had Spire since beta and I've never used it in tracks as it's very unstale on my system :( Great synth, but rather scary to use imo (for ref Win7 x64 running FL Studio x32 and x64)
Eternitysound VST Banks

Unstable in which way?

Crashes constantly... which is really sad. I've figured out one of the triggers on my system has something to do with the delay module (tweaking time etc = crash, not always, but more often than not), BUT, it's not only the delay module, often it'll crash without having fiddled or even activated delay.

BTW, I do have the latest version in stalled (always retry it when a new version drops).

EDIT: I think spire and pred2 are different beasts. On paper, maybe comparable, but in reality [I have P1 and P2 as well, both solid as a rock stable], the workflow is totally different. @OP, only one that can decide is you, demo both, see which one works for your personal workflow.
Last edited by GeorgeZ on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eternitysound VST Banks

Return to “Instruments”