U-he Research Project - Physical Modelling Drum Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello KVR Friends

Here is a late SuperBooth 2016 video about a future product of U-he. It's a physical modelling drum Synthesizer but announced as research project. Some users ask Urs about a future drum machine and maybe this is the beginning :) I opened a new topic here because I don't find really a big video about this development and I think it could be interesting for a lot users here what Uhe is currently cooking in their synth labs ;)

Cheers
Tom
Synth Anatomy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usD7mWWWmoE
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Oh okay yes, it's from youtube friend Non-Eric ;) But not all the users understand german ;)
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

I think the most important post in that thread is from Urs:
That's an old video with a bunch of preliminary information on something that is neither a drum machine nor an actual product. It's just a testbed for some acoustic drum modeling technology we're developing.
I imagine their top priority right now is getting RePro ready for release before the end of the year.

this is very, very interesting

I'm wondering at this degree of modeling's accuracy, if it make sense to emulated drum workstations, similar to BFD2, Superior Drummer or Addictive Drums, but only trough physical modeling ?

:idea:

Could it be in a future accurate enough to emulate one kind of drums or another, as Pianoteq does with different models of piano (Bluether, Yamaha) ?

:idea:

...or does it currently stays pure utopias ?

extremely ambitious.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Interesting! I've been working with drum sounds (synthesis, not samples) for all of my recent projects, some huge projects I can not divulge, but any mention of Physical Modeling drums has me crawl out of my hole and dance to the beat!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I'm interested and I hope they follow through with it. I think they might have more success with percussion than purely acoustic drum kits. The kit market is saturated and many people can tell when a kit sounds fake. Most people aren't as familiar with percussion, so even if it isn't 100% accurate I imagine you could use a modeled cajon, taiko, shaker, etc and nobody would bat an eye.

Ohh, look, Reaper. :hihi:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

What's up for such an ambitious project ?

OMG...Take my money now!

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:Meanwhile, Zebra 3 lies resting peacefully on the shelf.
Lol, nope. We are actually putting the exciters, resonators and bodies of the drum modeling project into Zebra to improve on it's physical modeling capabilities. For Z3.

Urs wrote:
Lol, nope. We are actually putting the exciters, resonators and bodies of the drum modeling project into Zebra to improve on it's physical modeling capabilities. For Z3.
Damn it Urs, TAKE MY MONEY. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wagtunes wrote:
Urs wrote:
Damn it Urs, TAKE MY MONEY. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Agreed... after years of downsizing my plugins, I wanted to add back in a new synth and despite all the new/fairly recent releases (Rapid, Avenger, Icarus, Serum and more), I realize that all I want is Zebra 3.

I'm going to be picking up Z2 and the DZ again very soon (because I miss those guys) and will look forward to jumping into Z3 once released (whenever that is)!

Return to “Instruments”