Reactable ROTOR iPad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So i waited the whole summer for this App, it was released last week i think, and i finally got my hands on it.

I really like it. The undeniable strongpoint is the user interface, it is an absolute joy to work with. Despite the modules latching to other modules they´re not supposed to, but i´ll figure that out eventually. I´m not planning on getting the tangible controllers, since i don´t see the point at all. Experimenting, jamming is unparalleled for such a powerful app.

With 4 simultaneous loop tracks, plus the synth, sample instrument, and external sound source (AudioBus) it should be powerful enough for most live perfomances and jams.

It supports Wave Files in .ogg format, and SoundFont2 sample libraries. I haven´t gotten around to import multi samples onto the ROTOR yet, but the amazing manual suggests this is possible. Still, you have to import your sounds via iTunes, that kills the workflow a little if you want to sample other iOS Synths for the use with ROTOR.

Edit: Upon playing around more with the modular synthesizer, i must say it does sound really good. It is streamlined towards live performance / jamming, so it has some limitations. Here´s what i don´t like about it:
  • The LFOs don´t work great with the oscillators, a slow pitch drift isn´t possible since even the minimal LFO amplitude modulates Pitch way too much. Also, i´m not too happy that there aren´t other modulation options for the quite powerful oscillators, just pitch.
    The software keyboard is very hard to use and does weird things with envelope triggering. I must say it is the worst software keyboard!
    iPad Air 2 gets very hot and battery drains fast with complex patches
    The sustain of the oscillators is buggy, it vanishes as soon as you open the settings of a totally different module (e.g. sampleplay)
I hope Reactable can fix these issues with an update, i have no problem with the battery drain on such a powerful app though.

Still, i love the app and absolutely recommend it. A unique "live" experience, comparable to Korg Kaossilator, but so much more powerful!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”