Recording unquantized midi - PPQ question

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

From my understanding if your sequencer's PPQ is set to 384 and you record live midi, the feel will be different compared to a PPQ setting of 960? I remember years ago Emagic's Logic boasted a PPQ of 1536 or something like that which was considered to account for Logic having a better feel than Cubase at the time.
Anyone care to comment? Is all this still relevant nowadays?
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Well, that's the resolution you are recording at, so, yes, it is relevant.

The american sequencers always had a resolution of 480 PPQN (pulses per quarter note). Cubase, for some reason I ignore (and also C-Lab Notatior, presumably) used a slowe resolution of 384 PPQN (they were Atari based, so, perhaps that's the reason, since the Atari is less powerful than the Macintoh, where Vision, Performer and Master Tracks Pro used to run.

When C-Lab (later Emagic) launched Logic (which was the first sequencer they created that also did run on the Macintosh), they created it with a base PPQN of 960 PPQN (doubled than the amercian sequencers).

Personally, I'm used to record without stick to the metronome at a PPQN of 480, and never felt any problem. But I guess the trick resides in using really fast tempos, like at least 120 BPM, and using bars based on quarter note, like 4/4 and 3/4. Later, you can quantize and even rebar your music.

Anyway, nowadays, 480 seems to be kind of a standard, even in Cubase, although Digital Performer can go up to 2 trillion PPQN, if you so want it to. But this is just an exercize of futility, IMO.
Fernando (FMR)

Very interesting info thanks!!
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”