Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

Ahh I misinterpreted crossgraded license....
ok.
don't really use REason, I keep it around for older projects compatibility when I did use to use Reason..So then doesn't make sense to get the RE version for me.
never the less a fair and generous offer.
rsp

EnGee wrote:
zvenx wrote:Wasn't criticizing, just being complete :-)
So as a vst licensee, if I get the REason RE the RE becomes NFR but the vst/au remains as is correct?
what email address should I send my ph username.
hint. you already have it right here :-)

thanks,
rsp

Richard_Synapse wrote:
zvenx wrote:and for completeness someone mentioned NFR's status?
Another Richard :-)
Yes, you cannot resell the crossgraded license. Otherwise someone could purchase one license, crossgrade, then resell just the other one, which is not the idea of the free crossgrade ;) It's really just intended for people who need it, i.e. people who use both Reason+VST hosts.

Richard
I think Richard means that both will be NFR if you make a crossgrade.
sound sculptist

sounds great. in the comparison video I can only hear some differences in the FM patches, and they are minor. so well done Synapse!
love that it is has ADSR, usable poly and resizable GUI . not sure whether to jump on it as I have Monark which is already spot on IMO, though the Legend's resonance does seem to have a bit more detail and musicality when transitioning towards self osc.
I would have extended the feature set to include essentials like Pitch ENV modulation, SYNC and a dedicated LFO (with sample & hold etc). maybe as back panel mods or maybe they can be included in a future Legend XL release.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned it, but when played with Roland/Boss controllers patches with a default mod wheel position other than 0 are unfortunate as the mod lever returns to zero due to the spring.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Not sure if someone has already mentioned it, but when played with Roland/Boss controllers patches with a default mod wheel position other than 0 are unfortunate as the mod lever returns to zero due to the spring.
I never really though that the pitch/Mod stick by Roland is a really clever design, also when compared to dedicated pitch/mod wheels or the 2 ribbon controllers (with LEDs for the position) in my Komplete Kontrol S61.

ANyway do you also have a problem when a patch is just loaded or after you moved the stick in teh Roland controller? If this happens after you moved the stick it should be normal.
If i load a patch and move the move the modwheel it changes the default MW value of the patch too. I have to re-load the patch to get the default value.
If i do not move the modwheel in the controller the default value in the patch is not changed. This is similar with my NI Komplete Kontrol S61, Novation UltraNova and Novation Bass Station II when used as a controller for The Legend.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

fluffy_little_something wrote:Not sure if someone has already mentioned it, but when played with Roland/Boss controllers patches with a default mod wheel position other than 0 are unfortunate as the mod lever returns to zero due to the spring.
I asked for a switch to bypass Mod Wheel or CC#1 to the Mod Wheel Slider on a per patch basis for just this reason. Patches that use LFO to Filter for rhythmic sounds for example will not sound the same if the MW Slider is moved to Zero Position. Alas the request did not make it into the release.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
I asked for a switch to bypass Mod Wheel or CC#1 to the Mod Wheel Slider on a per patch basis for just this reason. Patches that use LFO to Filter for rhythmic sounds for example will not sound the same if the MW Slider is moved to Zero Position. Alas the request did not make it into the release.
OK, so this seems to a specific problem with those Roland controllers with the pitch/mod stick. I was not able to reproduce this as i do not have one of those Roland controllers here.
I did never really understand why they built that pitch/mod stick in a way that the mod amount automatically goes back to 0. Last Roland keyboard i owned must have been a JV-90 back in 2005.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

I've just tested this and it sounds great, one of the most inspiring soft synth I've tried, mainly because it didn't need much tweaking to sound good. Very present and atmospheric.

Ingonator wrote:
I never really though that the pitch/Mod stick by Roland is a really clever design, also when compared to dedicated pitch/mod wheels or the 2 ribbon controllers (with LEDs for the position) in my Komplete Kontrol S61.

ANyway do you also have a problem when a patch is just loaded or after you moved the stick in teh Roland controller? If this happens after you moved the stick it should be normal.
If i load a patch and move the move the modwheel it changes the default MW value of the patch too. I have to re-load the patch to get the default value.
If i do not move the modwheel in the controller the default value in the patch is not changed. This is similar with my NI Komplete Kontrol S61, Novation UltraNova and Novation Bass Station II when used as a controller for The Legend.
Yes, the problem occurs as soon as I move the pitch bender slightly north, which can easily happen even when one only wants to use the horizontal, i.e. pitch bend function.
Patches load correctly with the patch-specific modulation setting as long as I don't use the lever.

Didn't the Jupiter 8, which I think you used to have, already have that combined lever? With separate wheels I think the mod wheel stays wherever one leaves it.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Didn't the Jupiter 8, which I think you used to have, already have that combined lever? With separate wheels I think the mod wheel stays wherever one leaves it.
The Jupiter was sold in 2004. Anyway the stick only seemed to do pitch bend there while for additional LFO modulation there was a button (similar in the GUI of the Arturia Jupiter 8 ).
Also had other Roland keyboards like e.g. D-50 and JV-90 around taht time but i did not really like that pitch/mod stick. The JV-90 around 2005 was the last Roladnd keyboard i owned.

At the moment i got e.g. The Novation UltraNova and NBass Station II that both got wheels for pitch and modulation and my main controller is a NI Komplete Kontrol S61 that has ribbon controllers for pitch and modulation (with LED indicators). One cool thing with those ribbons is that you could just tip at the value you want (for the modulation) while with a mod wheel you first have to move it to that position either frm the previous or the 0 position.

FWIW i still got a Korg Wavestation EX which is one of teh few Korg synths with dedicated Pitch and Mod wheels (afew other like e.g. Korg Prophecy and Z1 and later MicroKorg seemed to have it too).
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner

Be happy, I will never get a Roland controller again, either, poor build quality. What is useful in Legend is that the pitch bend control on the GUI shows clearly that my pitch bender does not reach its upper limit, even when I push it to very right. As I said, crappy build quality.

I suppose they came up with that combined thingy because it is difficult to operate two wheels simultaneously.

After i thought about it again a switch in the GUI to lock the MW setting of the current patch could actually make sense, independent of the controller used.
Ingo Weidner

Ingonator wrote: OK, so this seems to a specific problem with those Roland controllers with the pitch/mod stick. I was not able to reproduce this as i do not have one of those Roland controllers here.
I did never really understand why they built that pitch/mod stick in a way that the mod amount automatically goes back to 0. Last Roland keyboard i owned must have been a JV-90 back in 2005.
No you're missing the point. If you move the Mod Wheel on any controller it will effect the way a patch sounds if it uses the LFO to add modulation to the Filter for example. Any patch with a default MW setting more than Zero can be changed adversely by moving the MW even accidentally . That's why those patches need a switch to bypass MW input so they sound as intended no matter what value the MW sends.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Here's an example. This patch uses LFO to Filter. Change the MW Slider value to zero and it destroys the patch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There are also a couple of patches like that in the factory presets of the demo version.

fluffy_little_something wrote:There are also a couple of patches like that in the factory presets of the demo version.
Exactly. If The Legend had another assignable LFO this wouldn't be an issue but having the MW hard wired makes it too easy to "destroy" the way a patch was intended to sound. Not many patches use the LFO in such a way but also if you just want to add a little Pitch Modulation to a patch and leave the MW Slider at say 2% any movement of a physical Mod Wheel will change that modulation amount to an unintended level. It's certainly not the most important feature request for Legend but a switch to bypass MW to MW Slider on a per patch basis would solve the problem.

Return to “Instruments”