TERRIBLE Experience with ADK Computer and Support

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ADK is trying to charge me $790 to return a week-old computer that won’t turn on.

I ordered a $4,400 “Extreme WS” ADK computer, and I received it about a week ago. Ever since then I’ve had nothing but problems with it.

The first weird thing I noticed was that it takes about 25 seconds after turning the computer on before ANYTHING – even the BIOS screen – shows up.

The first time I used the computer, I got the blue screen of death. Second time, a BIOS “overclocking failed” message that required me to force a restart. On that restart, Windows froze on startup. Restarted again – and things worked intermittently for the next day, but not without numerous freezes on Windows startup and shutdown.

(side note: all I had done on this computer was install the typical software used by composers/producers: UAD, Cubase, NI Komplete, Zebra, etc. The computer was never connected to the internet so there was no possibility of a virus.)

I emailed both Chris and Dave four days ago, explaining the issues I’ve been having, and asking him some questions about potentially restoring the system. To this day, neither of them has responded to or acknowledged that email in any way.

The next day, the computer just wouldn’t boot into Windows. Windows startup would freeze every single time (in the over ten times that I tried), and Windows startup repair wouldn’t even launch.

I called ADK and got Dave, who I told about my issues. He walked me through what he said was the first step toward fixing the computer – making sure the BIOS settings are correct. So I followed his instructions – loading the ADK preset in BIOS – and after I did that, the computer won’t even boot. I mean it won’t even show a BIOS screen or anything – the monitor doesn’t even light up whatsoever when the computer is running. This all happened while I was on the phone with Dave, and he admitted that this is not normal.

I told Dave that at this point, I’ve spent $4,400 on a computer that won’t start up, and that the only logical course from here is a return. He said that ADK’s policy is that a 15% restocking fee is charged for returns, and shipping is not refunded.

15% of $4,400 is $660, and with shipping both ways, it’ll be $790. I told Dave that is totally unreasonable given that this is a non-functioning machine, and furthermore that clearly something is seriously wrong with this computer, and its parts obviously cannot all be restocked.

Dave wasn't receptive to what I was saying at all, and he stonewalled me with “I can’t change the policy.” He said that only the owner, Scott, has the power to issue me a full refund.

I sent Scott an email explaining everything and asking him to give me a call. After two days of trying to get in touch with Scott through the ADK office, and being repeatedly told by Dave that Scott would call me back (though he still hasn’t), Scott finally responded to my email.

His response is that he’s completely unwilling to compromise on the 15% restocking fee + shipping policy, regardless of the fact that I have been shipped a nonfunctional computer.

I have given ADK plenty of chances to make this right. I’ve reached out to their customer support every day for the past 4 days, and I had Dave walk me through troubleshooting the computer to get it working again – and that only made matters worse.

I am in a position where I either keep a $4,400 computer that won’t turn on, or I send it back and pay $790 for the privilege of having had a non-functioning computer for a few days. Not to mention the amount of time, effort, and aggravation I’ve gone through because of all of this (or of the difficulties I may have with the licenses for software that I activated on that computer, which I of course now cannot deactivate - so I may have lost licenses).

ADK trying to charge me $790 for having sent me a defective computer is flat-out unethical. You could buy a computer for $790! And instead I’ll have nothing. I paid $4,400 for a powerful and working machine, and ADK still has not delivered that to me.

And if ADK does actually restock these parts, which is the fee they’re charging me for, that is irresponsible and unethical too – and I sure feel bad for whoever buys the computer made out of those restocked parts.

I am startled at the lack of concern or empathy for my situation that the people at ADK have shown. This is the worst “support” I have ever experienced from a company – and clearly they have no interest in ensuring that I actually have a positive experience as a customer.

ADK still has a chance to do the only reasonable thing here – to offer me a full refund and cover the return shipping costs, so that I will have lost nothing more than my time and effort and stress over this. Let’s see what happens.

WHere are you and where is ADK? Could you contact a consumer protection authority in your country?
dedication to flying

Either they fix it or accept the return as their fuckup or parts failure.

A few here could offer you a heap of reasons as to why it isn't working but that's all beside the point.

ADK and more importantly the owner Scott are purported to have close relationships with Intel and other hardware manufacturers, all the while personally validating parts and systems.

They also make clear that if they send you a heap of shit they will cover all costs to repair it:

https://www.adkproaudio.com/conditionsofuse

the 30 day money back guarantee should only apply to a customer that has changed their mind, not being sold a piece of shit.

Maybe Scott should forego the restaurant for a bit to ensure his staff aren't just taking the piss.
I play guitar

rod_zero, thanks for your suggestion, I will look into that. We are both in the US.

Chickenman, I absolutely agree. As you mentioned they do say they would repair it IF they determine over the phone with me that there is a hardware issue (which they presently don't - so if a computer that won't turn on isn't enough to get them to take it in for repair, I don't know what is). And if I did that, I'd blow past the 30 return window, and risk getting stuck with a $4,400 useless machine. Also, it would have to be shipped twice more in that case, and ADK takes no responsibility for shipping damage...

Clearly ADK does not want to be financially responsible for any bad systems they send out, and want to put the associated costs on me, just for ordering it.

This discussion is also taking place here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... pport.html

ADK has responded there too. So perhaps that will help people follow along.

Wow, that's the first I've heard. Funnily, here I am having BSODs left and right and have made up my mind that my next system will be an ADK because of their stellar reputation for support. I've even done dummy configs in their site.

If I've understood correctly ADK has an obligation to issue a full refund for a lemon DAW. EVEN if they offered to fix it for free (which is the least I"d expect) you should have the option to return, no questions, given the troubles faced. One pays the premium for the peace of mind afterall.

I'll be very surprised given ADK's past reputation, if they don't do right by this customer. $4400 is more than what my first car cost. :lol:

n/m
Last edited by incubus on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

I just briefly skimmed the first lines of your post OP, and the $790 fee for an RMA is unheard of. The people at ADK read these forums so I know they will see this and try to help you with whatever problem your rig experienced. It's important to consider that there are a few factors that could have caused problems that are in no way the fault of ADK, so keep an open mind.

As others have said most likely you should have right to return it free of charge under warranty or your local consumer protections laws. Of course except if you live in US where consumers have no right.

From the description of your problem it might be something simple like a RAM stick not properly seated in its socket or bad BIOS settings. First thing I would try is to check if RAM sticks are fully inserted in their sockets. You could remove them and then insert them again.

Also as you said that there's a custom BIOS profile made by the company. It's likely that they have overclocked your computer and pushed the settings too far. You should reset your BIOS fully to motherboard makers default settings. There's a switch for that on the back of the case or on the motherboard itself (Clear CMOS). You should be able to locate it with the help of the motherboard's manual. After resetting the BIOS load a default settings profile (or fault safe settings profile) and not the one made by the computer company.

If the problems still persist then you most likely have a lemon. Or if the machine was overclocked too far then maybe voltages were pushed too far and something is now failed.
No signature here!

Reminds me on the issue i had with my Intel DX79SI board.
2012,i tried to overclock it manually but failed miserably :hihi: ,that wasn't funny at all,freezes after freezes but then i accidentally found some automatic overclocking presets provided by Intel in the Bios ,enabled the middle one and since then the board is working perfectly.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

This is why you should build your own. If you can put a stereo together, you can build a computer. Its that easy. no help but give that a go.

According to the thread OP also started over at the Gearslutz forum, he's been issued a refund by ADK, problem solved :clap:

I had recommended ADK to a good friend who was in the market for a professionally built music PC. He bought an ADK system a few months back, and so far is happy with it, as well as ADK's support.

Unfortunately, the OP's experience wasn't so good for him. But things can happen of course, and did, in which buyer & seller were in a dispute over how things were being handled. There was a major communication breakdown and a lack of cooperation. I understand and can sympathize with both sides.

If I was the buyer in this situation of an expensive music PC that was faulty upon arrival, I would have given ADK every fair chance possible to get my system working, whether they needed to talk me through something, or needed to ship it back for repair. The OP was apparently non-receptive to this, and simply wanted a full refund without giving ADK the opportunity to fully work with him in a support role. ADK felt this was unfair to them, OP felt if he received the system in a non fully working state, that's it. Reading the very long thread at Gaerslutz, it's obvious that feathered were ruffled. At that point, their relationship soured quickly.
I totally understand & sympathize with the OP, but it seems to me that he didn't give ADK a fair chance to rectify things. Apparently, ADK didn't respond quick enough for him. But within only days OP started plastering his experience on at least two separate forums blowing the whistle. I personally thought OP was too quick on the trigger.

At least OP was given the ok to ship the apparent faulty system back for a refund. Now it's time to move on :tu:

On a moving on note, I've always built my own music PC's. But this last time I had discovered I could buy a super powerful 64 bit Work Station type system from an off-lease seller...for FAR less money than I could build for myself, even with USED parts! It came with Win 7 64 bit pro (with install disk), two 6 core Xeon CPU's (12 cores physical total/24 threads) and 48 GB of DDR3 ram. It came with (2) 1TB HDD's. All this for under $600. I bought & installed an SSD as my OS/Programs drive. The 2 HDD's it came are now my Projects/Audio & Samples drives. :phones:

At least ZapAxe knows everything.

I dont know why anyone would buy 4K system now when we expect new processors and new motherboards to be released by the end of this year. May be even next month. Was it Brodwell E system or some Xeon? Anybody who dares to use custom built DAW should be able to build his/her system independently and have good understanding of what inside and outside. Don't matter who builds it- individual or small company- custom computers tend to have issues. It is ongoing process. Custom DAW is a piece of art in itself. It has life of its own and requires constant maintenance. Actually the same applies to any computer. Back in 2004 I spent $4k+ on Dell Precision workstation. After that... everything I know about computers now I learned from fixing that Dell. I had to reinstall Windows, change memory, change 3 drives out of 4 and then change motherboard and rebuild it. About 10 systems later I know much more and I learned that computer is never steady formed item. It always evolving, it is alive, it interacts with you and responds to your actions. I also learned on my personal mistake that $4K computer does not make it future proofed. Next month or before the end of this year- the computer technology will change forever. The new motherboards will support new Intel 3D SSDs and memory. Buying computer today is to be left behind and watching new technology growing and remaining unavailable to you because you just bought already outdated computer. I can't believe ADK even sold him $4k computer today, knowing what is about to be released (amusing it was not Brodwell E). I would expect they would recommend to wait for the new processors. In fact- they should recommend not to spend $4k. Anybody who has any idea of how to make DAW would tell that there is no need for $4k parts. How do you justify that much money? And who overclocks DAW? The standard processor speed is more than enough for any music software. Was it some kind of 10 cores monster extream edition?

AstralV: you also don't know the full story. And neither do I. But I read somewhere a UAD Apollo was included in the deal as well. Don't know how much of $4K that would account for :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Astralv wrote: Next month or before the end of this year- the computer technology will change forever. The new motherboards will support new Intel 3D SSDs and memory.
Intel bumped all it's dates a few months back, and I've not seen another update since then.

If you're on about Kabylake, we're talking next July now. Skylake - E (S or whatever they've decided to call it), last I saw anything, they were pushing the date back to Q2 2017 as well.

Of course that could have all changed, but AFAIK Intel has no more releases incoming this year, at this point. If you've seen something more recent do fire it over.

X-point based drives are now also looking to land at a higher price point than first mooted too, which means the other competing tech is in danger of eclipsing it ahead of it making it into the mainstream. At this point we're not even sure if the enthusiast class boards are going to see X-point next year, as it's still being punted at the mid-range Kabylake initially, although hopefully that changes prior to launch!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”