Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

AFAIC, Monark is heavier than Diva on CPU, and Diva is heavier than Legend on CPU. Totally unscientific, and it has been a while since i last demo'd Diva. But Monark was definitely a heavyweight, especially for its monophonic spec. I don't recall Diva eating up so much CPU. Legend is pretty light on CPU though, i didn't even have to change my Windows energy plan for it. ;)

After playing around with The Legend i like it alot. I just apreciate the sound of it. Its not a nescesery tool for me because i already have Monark & Diva for these type of sounds + alot of other subtractive synthesizers, also i am not looking for Moog emulation. But what i like is how easy on eyes it is and how fast GUI loads, synth does not feel clunky or sluggish, also has Poly option. And when there MSEGs and LFOs are added it gets even more fun.

Might get this in a future just for fun.

Has anyone noticed that these forums are now being overtaken by the same half a dozen or so posters who just spend their time trolling and arguing with each other over minute insignificant crap, trying to prove I assume to the rest of us how informed and smart they are. If you are one of those , wake up , it doesn't work, you come across as idiots.

We are lucky here to have contact with developers who do engage with us, if it continues like this they won't, look at VI Control if want an example.

As for the Legend it is the closest to a MM I have yet used, and yes I had an original . Well worth it if you are after that sound specifically. If you ever used an original you had to reprogram by sight onstage so the layout of the Legend really nails it, instantly I could get to grips with reprogramming it and does sound remarkably close. I have Monark and the Arturia one, Diva is a different beast altogether with a much bigger feature set and never set out to be a MM clone but the ultimate analog emu, which it arguably is.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Not scientific. I loaded one instance of each in studio one v2, sent the same midi note to each (since monark is monophonic only was the fairest way to do it) simple bass tone without effects...tried it a few times and this was about what I saw.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

woodsdenis wrote:Has anyone noticed that these forums are now being overtaken by the same half a dozen or so posters who just spend their time trolling and arguing with each other over minute insignificant crap, trying to prove I assume to the rest of us how informed and smart they are. If you are one of those , wake up , it doesn't work, you come across as idiots.
Dunno if you meant me, but how about "stating an opinion on the synth"? If that's forbidden now, and you only have to chime in on the base flatteries about a product, then forgive me. I said more than once now though that it is a nice synth. What i have done though is to compare it with what i consider the flag ship product in Minimoog modelling, and that's Monark for me. And i did notice that there are certain differences. I believe that these things are quite important, to be able to judge something objectively. If it was like some people in this thread claim, and an emulation is good enough when the people are working on it confirmed that it's good and close enough, then why do they all sound a bit different? Seems like someones good enough wasn't another someones good enough, or, the models sounded a bit different in the first place. Or, the perception and interpretations have been different. Of course, no developer will start at zero, but will always take the one or the other algorithm from his other synths, so that will explain a bit of difference too (and a certain amount of "sounds-like-synth-XY-from-same-company"). With all that in mind, i think it's just fair to compare, and to try to do it objectively.
Last edited by chk071 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Which quality mode did you use in Diva?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Which quality mode did you use in Diva?
Great, which is the one I always use and Multicore is on.

I did four screenshots as the sequence played...in all diva was lowest, in a two Reaktor was a bit higher than Legend, and I think in one Legend was higher than Reaktor 5.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sound sculptist

Just playing around with it and think that I finally found "The One" for Minimoog emulation. I own Diva and Mini V3 and like those as well, but for Minimoog authenticity it's The Legend. It has the charisma, the balls and the punch with the right "feel", that's a hard combination. One emulation has the punch but I didn't like the overall feel of it and the other has the charisma but lacking that meaty low-end. The Legend is just so musical and addicting to play, especially when looking at the CPU meter. This is the first time that I feel satisfied even with just a one oscillator Moog, but with three and other features it's just a blast. Also glad that the delay and reverb are of a great quality, not just some cheesy additional multifx. I will have Monark soon and will make further comparisons, but judging from the demos I know that The Legend is more of my type. Have played the Minimonsta a long time ago, while also good but imho The Legend is like the next gen version of it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

zvenx wrote:Not scientific. I loaded one instance of each in studio one v2, sent the same midi note to each (since monark is monophonic only was the fairest way to do it) simple bass tone without effects...tried it a few times and this was about what I saw.

rsp
Well, due to the "vectorized core" The Legend with 4 voices (Poly or Unison mode) uses only the double amount or less than for a single voice which i call quite efficient (even with long release, FXs etc. i dd not get it beyond 2 times CPU use of a single voice).

With the Legend on my quite old CPU i could play 32 voices at once without audio dropout while the same with Diva is only possible with the lowest quality setting (= "draft").
Last edited by Ingonator on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

zvenx wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Which quality mode did you use in Diva?
Great, which is the one I always use and Multicore is on.

I did a four screenshots as the sequence played...in all diva was lowest, in a few Reaktor was a bit higher than Legend, and I think in one Legend was higher than Reaktor 5.
rsp
To do a fair comparison, use the "divine" option, which is the default option on the other 2 plugins. ;)

zvenx wrote:Not scientific. I loaded one instance of each in studio one v2, sent the same midi note to each (since monark is monophonic only was the fairest way to do it) simple bass tone without effects...tried it a few times and this was about what I saw.

rsp
As scientific as it gets for a comparison, I use S1 for the same purpose on all new plugs :D
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

chk071 wrote:To do a fair comparison, use the "divine" option, which is the default option on the other 2 plugins. ;)
To do a fair comparison we need to know on what mathematical principle Diva, Legend and Monark compute their best quality setting. But we don't (I know for Diva, but that doesn't help here, does it?)

Yes, but for a real life test, you can just compare how the plugins perform, when setting equal conditions for each plugin, and see how the host can handle them. I don't think the mathematical principle behind it is very relevant for the performance on the user's computer.

On the SA site it says for instance that The Legend is 8x oversampled. No idea about the other two...

Urs wrote:
chk071 wrote:To do a fair comparison, use the "divine" option, which is the default option on the other 2 plugins. ;)
To do a fair comparison we need to know on what mathematical principle Diva, Legend and Monark compute their best quality setting. But we don't (I know for Diva, but that doesn't help here, does it?)
True.
Either way I just did and did 3 screenshots.

Diva 8, 10, 10
Legend 14, 14, 14
Reaktor 12, 15, 13

with Divine and Multicore on.
next will you ask me to take off multicore ;)

Like I said this isn't a scientific test but for me clearly at the very least strongly suggests that compared to these two, Diva isn't a cpu hog... quite the opposite..
Btw how did you know the oversample rate of Legend?

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”