MKS-50 vs ReDominator (mp3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My MKS-50 has been struggling the last few years, so I've been considering getting ReDominator as a replacement. The MKS-50 is currently in a good mood, so I downloaded the demo of ReDominator, loaded the same patch in each, matched the levels, used the exact same effects settings in the DAW for each, and alternated playing a sequence to each.

The first is the MKS-50, the second is ReDominator:

https://soundcloud.com/sayer-seely/mks- ... edominator

I like the MKS 50 better. Is that a hardware synth?

the redominator appears to have less filter cutoff. not a good sysex interpretation on the redominator's part.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

wagtunes wrote:I like the MKS 50 better. Is that a hardware synth?
Yes, it is an old rack mount version of the Roland Alpha Juno synths.

layzer wrote:the redominator appears to have less filter cutoff. not a good sysex interpretation on the redominator's part.
Right, I was really surprised by the difference... when I looked at the parameters in the editors they seemed to be lined up properly between the two, but sound-wise very different.

To my ears ReDominator does not have that special Alpha Juno sound. I plan to do more comparisons, but ReDominator is not off to a good start.

SayersWeb wrote:
layzer wrote:the redominator appears to have less filter cutoff. not a good sysex interpretation on the redominator's part.
Right, I was really surprised by the difference... when I looked at the parameters in the editors they seemed to be lined up properly between the two, but sound-wise very different.

To my ears ReDominator does not have that special Alpha Juno sound. I plan to do more comparisons, but ReDominator is not off to a good start.
i have both Juno2 and an MKS50 they do indeed have a special sound i can only get close with a vst.
you will find many people refuse to let go of theirs, including me. I would let go of the juno2
but i like the simpler patch handling of the keyboard than the module...AND the Alpha dial on the kb *sigh*
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

For some reason Audiorealism chose not to model the Alpha Juno filter which is a strange and disappointing choice.

RobGee wrote:For some reason Audiorealism chose not to model the Alpha Juno filter which is a strange and disappointing choice.
They did with the RE Version for Reason.
It's weird that they haven't updated the vst version with the Original Alpha Filter since that filter option has been availible for a long time in Reason.

It's weird that they haven't updated the vst version with the Original Alpha Filter since that filter option has been availible for a long time in Reason.
In fact they did! (silently)
the "original" filter is now also included on the VST version, strange they didn't announced it, i found it by chance!, It's in the preset menu

does it make it sound better / closer? I've been thinking about buying hardware alpha juno for a while ..
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

That certainly doesn't sound like the same settings. Maybe the control values on redominator don't match up.
Can't you get the sound closer by ear?

Turn off the built-in chorus and use the TAL version and it sounds a bit closer. Really brings ReDominator to life.

SayersWeb wrote:To my ears ReDominator does not have that special Alpha Juno sound.
Hi Sayer, just curious which filter type was being used on the demo?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Went to the Redominator page and liked what I heard there.

commuter wrote:
In fact they did! (silently)
the "original" filter is now also included on the VST version, strange they didn't announced it, i found it by chance!, It's in the preset menu

I just downloaded it from the website and mine doesn't have this in there. Sure you are not running a beta?

Return to “Instruments”