Two major software announcements from PreSonus: Notion 6 & Studio One 3.3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Notion Studio One Professional

Not true for me on Win 7 or 8. I'm using a huge orchestral VI template with everything assigned and disabled by default and it's not happening for me.

I can't speak to what might be happening on Win 10 or OSX though, no idea. If you think it might be an issue for you, try it in the demo or Prime.

LawrenceF wrote:Not true for me on Win 7 or 8. I'm using a huge orchestral VI template with everything assigned and disabled by default and it's not happening for me.

I can't speak to what might be happening on Win 10 or OSX though, no idea. If you think it might be an issue for you, try it in the demo or Prime.
That's Great !

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Would you advise updating from 3.2 to 3.3 ? I'm on Windows 8.1 , no major issues ?

woodsdenis wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:The difference in CPU usage with heavier VSTs is quite considerable. Kontakt especially, world of CPU difference between S1 and, say, Reaper.
What he said :D
Yes it's true. S1 has the worst CPU performance when it comes to Kontakt and Reaktor. Not only that, but with some heavy plugs. I repeat, some plugs! LuSH 101 has bad performance in S1 as well while u-he synths run fine!
So, I agree with most here that S1 has the worst CPU performance compared with other hosts. For me, with my Window 10 i5 system (the same with Win10/i7 laptop) the order for CPU performance from best to worst is: Reaper, Live, Bitwig, S1.
But for workflow/Comfort: Bitwig, S1, Live, Reaper. Now for general stability with my plugins, Reaper and Live are the best (less crashes and bugs). There is no perfect host and the CPU performance is not the only main factor to choose a DAW.
Let's not forget that OS updates and also host/plugins updates bring additional burdens from new bugs and instabilities :(

Muziksculp wrote:Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Would you advise updating from 3.2 to 3.3 ? I'm on Windows 8.1 , no major issues ?
I looked into that more and it's not "inputs", it bus assignments, and only for instrument tracks. It's a bug, easily worked around until a 3.3.1 maintenance release though, which I hope is not far away.

As to advising to update... I'll say what I always say, try it (install it in a different folder to not overwrite 3.23) and make up your own mind. I never assume just because I'm comfortable with something everyone else will be. Try it. It might suck for you, or not, there's only one way to find out.

EnGee wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:The difference in CPU usage with heavier VSTs is quite considerable. Kontakt especially, world of CPU difference between S1 and, say, Reaper.
What he said :D
Yes it's true. S1 has the worst CPU performance when it comes to Kontakt and Reaktor. Not only that, but with some heavy plugs. I repeat, some plugs! LuSH 101 has bad performance in S1 as well while u-he synths run fine!
So, I agree with most here that S1 has the worst CPU performance compared with other hosts. For me, with my Window 10 i5 system (the same with Win10/i7 laptop) the order for CPU performance from best to worst is: Reaper, Live, Bitwig, S1.
But for workflow/Comfort: Bitwig, S1, Live, Reaper. Now for general stability with my plugins, Reaper and Live are the best (less crashes and bugs). There is no perfect host and the CPU performance is not the only main factor to choose a DAW.
Let's not forget that OS updates and also host/plugins updates bring additional burdens from new bugs and instabilities :(
I find it doesn't like NI plugins much, there's a lagginess when I try and automate stuff. But in many respects I've come to like the completeness of S1, for one thing it's the only DAW I have that fully supports so many different plugin formats and does a proper job of it. Apart from the CPU overhead the only thing I miss is decent automation curves - automation editing is fiddly compared to hosts that support beziers like Reaper

aMUSEd wrote: automation editing is fiddly compared to hosts that support beziers like Reaper
I find the automation editing better than in Logic X.
S1 has some usefull tools Logic don't have : transfom, shape (sine, square, saw...), you can stretch-schrink the curve with snap to grid.

Get a proper CPU and stop crying. Stop using shitty laptops to make music, they just sucks and you alredy know.

You can get a good and affordable i7-4790k for only 300$, trasform feature and now disable track can make wonder when it comes to save CPU.

No One pointed a big feature when it comes to mixing. Bypass all effect plugin button wich is now in 3.3 I saw a lot of people requesting many times this feature but now they seems don't care that much. :hihi:

Scottex wrote:Get a proper CPU and stop crying. Stop using shitty laptops to make music, they just sucks and you alredy know.
No matter what your CPU is, S1 seems to perform much worse on many systems.

You can chase hardware benchmarks all you want, but it's annoying to know that you could easily get a large improvement in performance by simply switching to another DAW.

Robert Randolph wrote:
Scottex wrote:Get a proper CPU and stop crying. Stop using shitty laptops to make music, they just sucks and you alredy know.
No matter what your CPU is, S1 seems to perform much worse on many systems.

You can chase hardware benchmarks all you want, but it's annoying to know that you could easily get a large improvement in performance by simply switching to another DAW.
Exactly!

Hi,

Reading all these posts makes me think that sticking with Cubase Pro 8.5.20 (PC) , which is my primary DAW for now is a wise thing to do.

Although I really love the workflow in S1v3 , I have not yet updated to v3.3 , I was just starting to use S1v3, learning to use it, but after reading this thread, and multiple topics related to complaints from users, I'm not too encouraged to use it for any serious projects at this time. (or should I ?)

I hope to revisit S1V3 and update it to version 3.3x when I read a bit more positive feedback from users. Hopefully Presonus will improve the current issues, and add more features in the near future.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

I have a i7-5820k and agree about high CPU comments. Shame, because I like S1 more and more as the new updates come out (I'm still on Cubase). Hopefully they'll sort it out in the near future.

Monster machine here. CPU is worst out of all my daws but I won't use anything else to track others. even its built in melodyne will cause stutters w 5 or so instances. Gotta bounce or raise buffers. NI instruments are def spikey here as well. I prefer live if I'm gonna do a lot of playing w vi. As a tracking, mixing daw I love s1.

If they ever lower cpu I will never leave the studio again, except to panhandle.

Muziksculp wrote:

(or should I ?)
Well, if you like Studio One, like the workflow, like working in it, the environment etc etc, and you aren't having any issues that prevent you from using it and doing everything you need, why not?

I have updated to 3.3, and I can't say that I have any issues that bother me, it's business as usual with some extra features to use or not. I didn't have an issue with Melodyne, it works perfectly, but then I have Melodyne 4 Studio. As I said out of the 4 DAW's I have installed, I find the best performance comes from REAPER, then Studio One, then SONAR Platinum then a few lengths behind them comes Mixbus 3 limping along.

Out of those 4 I much prefer to use Studio One, that would be followed by REAPER then SONAR Platinum then a few lengths behind them comes Mixbus 3 limping along. I have no performance issues with Studio One, I can do all I need to do comfortably in an environment I like and prefer.

Don't worry to much about what other people say, or what is said in various threads, by all means read it and take it on board, but at the end of the day if you like working in Studio One and your experience differs from that of those people and the issues talked about in various threads etc, ie you don't suffer from those problems it would be foolish to not keep using it.

Find out for yourself first hand, not everything affects everyone, there could be problems that because of the way you work you will never run into because you simply don't have need to use a certain part or feature of the program. Someone who watches the performance meters more than they make music might be bothered by how high the meters are reading more so than someone who doesn't care about the performance meters and only notices a performance issue when there is pops and crackles and drop outs etc.

Only you can tell if you should be using it, have you had any serious problems?, any loss of projects or data? Only you know how things work for YOU
Last edited by jinotsuh on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Say NO to CLAP!

e@rs wrote:

You can get a good and affordable i7-4790k for only 300$, trasform feature and now disable track can make wonder when it comes to save CPU.

No One pointed a big feature when it comes to mixing. Bypass all effect plugin button wich is now in 3.3 I saw a lot of people requesting many times this feature but now they seems don't care that much. :hihi:
Exactly!

Just send me the $300...
If you don't have money then you need to trasform tracks or bounce them. I had a shitty i3 before the i7 i know how much sucks.
Last edited by Scottex on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

After a lot of trial and error I reverted back to v2.5
and compare performance from there over latest v3 updates.

Tested today, a project is about 10% in v2.5 and about 55% in v3.3.

Oddly enough,
innocent creatures like D16 Drumazon are causing heavy load in v3.

If some owns v2 and v3 and feels in the mood to compare a song as well,
I`d be eager to know the findings.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”