Mastering Compressor Recommendation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Neo DynaMaster Vintage Neo MasterTool

I'm all about Tokyo Dawn Labs, u-he Presswerk and NI compressors.

what do you think about fabfilter pro-c?

" Whether you need subtle mastering compression, an upfront lead vocal, that magic drum glue or deep EDM pumping"

its from fabfilter's website. so i think it could work as a mastering compressor.

kvruser1000 wrote:what do you think about fabfilter pro-c?

" Whether you need subtle mastering compression, an upfront lead vocal, that magic drum glue or deep EDM pumping"

its from fabfilter's website. so i think it could work as a mastering compressor.
Pro-C 2 CERTAINLY works well as a mastering compressor.

In reality it works well doing basically any type of compression, which is a nice bonus. :tu:

get the 30 day fully functional demo, nothing to lose.

Plugin Alliance elysia alpha mastering compressor. Once that went on my master buss, it never left.

I like to use DC8C, Kotelnikov and / or Waves Linear Multiband, but I am far from being a good mastering engineer and especially DC8C is hard to handle if you don't know what you are exactly doing. Still I slowly progress by going trial and error, to actually find out how to NOT use them and get a feeling how to use them properly instead.

If you'd like something that does not fail when it comes to electronic music, go for Cytomic The Glue as TheoM said, can't go wrong with that one - I've rarely heard anything bad about it at all, it's quite THE go-to for many producers and engineers.

Kotelnikov, Presswerk and ReaComp (this one not for mastering though, only for quick and dirty mixing) do the trick for me.

LVC Limited Max had a very good review and is affordable
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/ ... max-622665

And Pressed Max

http://lvcaudio.com/plugins/

You can get 25% off with code facebook25
Amazon: why not use an alternative

/* static noise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

THe Glue is great it's included in Ableton live 9 standard and suite. I also like Fg-Red.

Weird that the Slate digital compressors haven't been cited. Their reputation is well deserved, but I hate that iLok.

lolilol1975 wrote:Weird that the Slate digital compressors haven't been cited. Their reputation is well deserved, but I hate that iLok.
Agreed Slate VBC is great
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I like the Slate FG-Red a lot, very nice bus / master compression.

I tend not to use the FG-Grey (SSL / VCA inspired one) as I have hardware and The Glue for that sound.

The FG-MU sounds awful to my ears due to the upper mid bump. It's a shame they didn't add a control to switch between its current response and a flat (or more flattering) one.

On most of the material I mix and master it sounds ugly, cold and harsh out of the gate :( YMMV etc.

My favourite master/bus compressors are Kotelnikov GE, Waves API2500, DMG Audio Compassion, FG-Red and The Glue :)

I do however want another hardware comp, namely the Foote Control Systems P3S ME :)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Plugin Alliance Alpha Compressor and FabFilter Pro-C 2 in Mastering style.

Yep, I gotta say the Alpha is amoung my favs, I think the hardware is worth around $10,000, so I doubt I will ever get to own the real thing.

I'm also a fan of the T-Racks Opto Compressor, the Vertigo VSC-2, or the Millenia TCL-2, but there are really quite a few that can work really well in this context.

I would say bus compressor from toneboosters. Latest version is absolutely killer!

Return to “Effects”