XSRDO Patchwork modular

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kirsty roland wrote:Strictly speaking, Patchwork doesn't have a GUI. The DSP engine is VSTSDK 2.4 compatible code with
dedicated call back functions to a custom GUI layer using embedded and/or imported graphics (*.BMPs)
animated in response to Windows WM_MOUSE messages. Thats why its a Windows only plugin. If it works on Receptor I'll be gobsmacked :!: Kirsty
It does load, but with a few errors. The Receptor OS is really just Linux (Red Hat) with Wine, but it has a really old implementation, so most of the newer plugins fail.

XSRDO actually passes the sanity test though, and once I get past the "Can't load GUI" error, and "Can't load Arp" (and a few others) I can actually scroll through the presets. However, there is no sound, so there are more problems obviously.

Sometimes, an older version of a plugin will work (I think Synthedit changed something a few years back that broke compatibility), so I was willing to try one of your early experiments just to be able to play some of the patches.

Very nice work btw. I was playing around with SoftTubes Modular thingy, and I immediately thought about how easy your interface was in comparison :)

I would love for you to be "gobsmacked", so I will try an older version if you can swing it. But, don't waste too much time digging around, uploading, etc. It's not that important, but it would be nice.

Hey thanks, OP. I'll definitely have to check this out later.
VST PRESETS ---> http://xenossoundworks.com
Bazille, NI Massive, Z3ta, PPG Wave, TAL-J8, RePro, Diva, Spire and more

Hi Des

I spent some time looking at the Seq Stage module code only to realize that I'm using a new version
of Patchwork and probably already sorted it out :roll:
des wrote:WRT the values used for the Sequencer controls - what's the best way to generate standard 12 note scales?
When applied to pitch a value of 1 increases it by 1 octave, so to get 12 note scale simply divide 1 by 12 = 0.083
Put your pitch signal through a Quantizer with value set to 0.083
Value and Value Set provide 0.083 directly or you can use a Knob or Value Knob manually.

Kirsty

I'm not familiar with Patchwork - is that the programming environment you use? Any possibility of the 'fix' filtering it's way to us soon? :) As an FYI I also experienced a similar issue with the Knob module - the course knob was going to 100, the middle was 10 and the bottom was 1. Something I did try was adding a second Knob module - the numbers and output seemed ok (using the scope to check it's output). So I deleted the affected module and put the new one in place...the numbers displayed ok however the values it was sending were like the original afflicted one... :(

Thanks for the confirmation on the quantizer...I had inserted it into layout shortly after writing my last message.
Dave

des wrote:I'm not familiar with Patchwork ...
He he, you use it, you report bugs for it, but you're not familiar with it :ud:

lol I just realized I guess thats the actual name of the synth. :hihi: For some reason I just thought it was XSRDO. Wow. :dog:

ok, moving on.... :wink:
Dave

johnrule wrote:
kirsty roland wrote:Strictly speaking, Patchwork doesn't have a GUI. The DSP engine is VSTSDK 2.4 compatible code with
dedicated call back functions to a custom GUI layer using embedded and/or imported graphics (*.BMPs)
animated in response to Windows WM_MOUSE messages. Thats why its a Windows only plugin. If it works on Receptor I'll be gobsmacked :!: Kirsty
It does load, but with a few errors. The Receptor OS is really just Linux (Red Hat) with Wine, but it has a really old implementation, so most of the newer plugins fail.

XSRDO actually passes the sanity test though, and once I get past the "Can't load GUI" error, and "Can't load Arp" (and a few others) I can actually scroll through the presets. However, there is no sound, so there are more problems obviously.

Sometimes, an older version of a plugin will work (I think Synthedit changed something a few years back that broke compatibility), so I was willing to try one of your early experiments just to be able to play some of the patches.
Forget the whole thing Kirsty. It's just not worth my time.

des wrote:...Any possibility of the 'fix' filtering it's way to us soon? :)
XSRDO Patchwork Modular System Updated to v1.08

- Various small bug fixes (mainly GUI not displaying the correct values).
- Some new modules:-
- AD Sin Osc. A simple phase modulation oscillator.
- Low Shelf and High Shelf filters. I quite like these. :)
- New Sequencer segment. Seq Stage N. A 12 semitone quantized version of Seq Stage V.
- Level Osc Pitch. Purpose built module specifically to control any oscillators pitch.

...and a face lift :lol:

Download http://xsrdo.blogspot.co.uk/

Kirsty

Wow thanks! :hyper: :tu:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

Well done, Kristy! :love:

Thank you 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Wow VERY nice! :D Having a lot of fun with PATCHWORK running in Savihost right now. (even better now that I know the proper name... :hihi:)

THANK YOU!
Dave

I've made some modifications to the GUI to allow real time visual feedback. LED's that count, LED lights on the sequencer modules that show current position etc... but it's a lot of extra programming for me to integrate this with the ability to use 3rd party (user) skins.

How do you all feel if I removed the ability to skin Patchwork in future versions :?:

Kirsty

Hi Kirsty!

I'm not really speaking for myself, because for me skinning is not really a top priority and usually I just use VSTs as they are.
But for what I can tell when following several threads here at KVR skinning capabilities are often seen as the icing on the cake. This seems to make a perfect VST (sound- and usability-wise) an even more perfect one. And if a GUI is not skinnable very often people beg for changes to the GUI in the forums - all with more or less different ideas how it should look like. I imagine that this can be quite annoying and maybe even frustrating for the developers. Thus maybe to avoid endless discussions about the GUI in the future you may see it as an challenge to now - before it is more or less to late - think about a very good concept about how to implement a system/framework where combining enhanced GUI capabilities like visual feedback and 3rd party skinning would be relatively easy in the future. Me as much more a developer than a musician really like those kind of challenges. In short - I think the extra effort may be worth the time (if you are not completely out of it!) at the end.

By the way: Thanks a LOT for the last version. Really enjoying it!
Cheers, Patrik

I think Patrik makes some good points. As for me, I'm not a coder and absolutely hate creating skins for any app. I do appreciate the work others do though. I would be ok with what you're suggesting though it might be an idea to have two versions...one for low-light situations and the other for daylight type use. That might buy some time till you get around to figuring out how to enable 3rd party skinning.
Dave

Thanks guys

I guess you're right. I'll retain the ability to use a custom skin but I'm going to reduce the functionality to just
replacing graphics and not the full dermatology ethos currently in use.

Kirsty :)

Return to “Modular Synthesis”