The days of the LP where more then just a piece of vinyl

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aloysius wrote:Keep your old CDs. Every remastered CD I've heard is totally slammed to the wall (and beyond in some cases). Instead of the sound improving, it's all just getting worse. It's hard to believe that people actually get paid for destroying art.
I guess it really depends on the music, or the viewpoint. I didn't really hear many remastered albums, but the ones i heard where so much tighter, that it wasn't funny anymore listening to the original material after that. But then, i'm not exactly a big supporter of the criticism of the "loudness war" thing either, so, that figures, i guess. I think there is some great, "loud" music nowadays.

Sorry if i'm being weird, you know... disliking vinyl, AND liking the productions nowadays. :P

Oh it depends on the music. Listening to some 50s record pinned to the wall is not exactly pleasurable. 70s Rock doesn't benefit from hyper-compression and limiting either imho. I can't think of a single recording I'd be interested in buying these days. Even Bands I might like just f*ck up their records because it's the trend.

When I was a lad ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I was glad to see the back of vinyl in the '80s, and have no wish to see it's return - too high maintenence. Also, most, if not all, record players/amps-with-phono-inputs had pre-amps specially designed to enhance the sound. These were not found on the line/tape/radio inputs. I still use a Mission Cyrus amp I bought in the '80s and it goes so far as to put an empty notch on the program selector to separate the phono circuitry from the rest. It did sound wonderful, compared to CD - but that was all down to the design of the phono circuits, not the "magic", so called, of vinyl.

I do miss the sleeves, though, especially double albums. Remember Thick As A Brick? Or Ogdens Nut Gone Flake? Ahh, where's me cocoa...

Ayorinde wrote:... Remember Thick As A Brick? Or Ogdens Nut Gone Flake?
Single albums, I know. :D

chaosWyrM wrote: i never understood the "magic" people feel vinyl specifically held.
i get tired of this conversation/topic and the fact that people seem to have such difficulty creating objectivity and perspective in their thoughts with almost any subject so that they are unable to detach from the particularities they are accustomed to and seek more generalised orders.

but - part of the reason vinyl was special (as touted in many forum posts across the internet readable even now) is because you can clean all the seeds out of your brick weed on double albums with the fold out. slope, tap, seeds roll down. kids today and their grinders and "dispensary bud".

you can easily transform the decor of your punk living space by leaning albums against things. less effective with cds.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Once upon a time there was something I liked. Something I miss today.

I find it very nice to read about other peoples memories , thoughts and feelings about the same thing.

I It's a very delightful human activity.

I see no reason for anyone to be sarcastic about that.

So Synth heads,

Has nobody else here heard the Pentateuch double album. I listened to it again (after 30 years) folllowing the appearance of this thread. Totally synthtastic. Better than I remembered. I would go to say better than any Tangerine Dream that I have listened to.

Quote from the Wiki....The story and artwork within 'Pentateuch' concerns the discovery of an abandoned spacecraft in orbit around Jupiter, and the project to decipher the ideograms in the pentateuch 'document' discovered within. Most of the book is a retelling of the document, in much the same way as a modern translator might retell the contents of a Babylonian tablet or Egyptian papyrus scroll. Particularly remarkable is the combinatorial ideographic script created by Woodroffe and used throughout the artwork.

Greenslade contributes the 74 minutes of music as his second solo project, enlisting Phil Collins amongst others to help.

Go on have a go...

I always loved Greenslade, Time and Tide and bedside Manners are 2 of my favourite albums from that era (Time and Tide also has one of the bets album covers ever). Highly underrated band (and one that got me into synths in the first place).

Hi

I heard of Greenslade through the artist Roger Dean. He did their cover art as well as Yes, Budgie and such like. I got into synths via David Bowie - Low and Heros, Tubeway Army and John Foxx. Did not get a synth until i got Cubase VST5 - Neon!
aMUSEd wrote:I always loved Greenslade, Time and Tide and bedside Manners are 2 of my favourite albums from that era (Time and Tide also has one of the bets album covers ever). Highly underrated band (and one that got me into synths in the first place).

sfd wrote:Once upon a time there was something I liked. Something I miss today.
i know exactly what you mean, once there was something i liked, but they built a bloody record factory on it, which poisoned all of west papua.

hail hail industry eh. you know, it was here at kvr i was the one to call it "in dust real" (documented) but you all thought i was being clever and pissing on your sacred record monitoring rituals instead of being unhappy that you shit all over the universe and murdered people.

oh, screw the west papuans, i need my glossy big pictures and fairy stories about scary guitar players singing me to sleep with pure absolute bullshit huh. i'm fakkin iron man. has he thoughts within his head? as long as he has monkey in his pocket oh i love records,, to hell with living things, records are by experts like gary numan. he's a pilot you know.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I hear the sound of breaking glass. Oh look somebody throwing stones in glass house.

@xoxos - "to hell with living things." When you take responsibility for the living things that you kill then I may listen and reflect on what you have to say. Why single out humans?

Who are you anyway? 1:1 is new estimated ratio of bacterial to human cells. The estimation that bacterial cells in and on the body outnumber human cells by a ratio of ten to one has been widely cited in both popular media articles and scientific literature.

I wonder what you must be like at a party. Have fun. If you listen to Socrates you are going to die.

Laters

When there are fewer options, things tend to be more 'special'.

Once in a while I imagine some ancestor of mine in Italy wishing he had enough money to go hear Verdi's newest Opera. Those who couldn't afford it or lived too far away still had music, though...

For some of us Lp's will always bring back great memories (and what about our stack of 45's?), but making music and enjoying listening to it is still what really matters.

stonestreet wrote:Hi

I heard of Greenslade through the artist Roger Dean. He did their cover art as well as Yes, Budgie and such like. I got into synths via David Bowie - Low and Heros, Tubeway Army and John Foxx. Did not get a synth until i got Cubase VST5 - Neon!
aMUSEd wrote:I always loved Greenslade, Time and Tide and bedside Manners are 2 of my favourite albums from that era (Time and Tide also has one of the bets album covers ever). Highly underrated band (and one that got me into synths in the first place).
Roger Dean did their Bedside Manners Are Extra cover. Patrick Woodroffe did the Time and Tide cover.
That's the thing that's missing from CDs -- listening with a 12" artwork on one's knee really helped set the scene.
Back in the day, Dean released a brilliant 12" book with loads of his work called 'Views'. Woodroffe has a great website: http://www.patrickwoodroffe-world.com/ as does Dean: http://www.rogerdean.com/
Last edited by Pytchblend on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonestreet wrote: I wonder what you must be like at a party.
somewhere else. oh no the party scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4tIgt4HWXE

Aloysius wrote:Keep your old CDs. Every remastered CD I've heard is totally slammed to the wall (and beyond in some cases). Instead of the sound improving, it's all just getting worse. It's hard to believe that people actually get paid for destroying art.
You can't generalise like that. There's bad remasters and good remasters. It depends upon the intention of the remaster. Is it to correct something for diehard fans? Is it make improvements for diehard fans? Is it to revive interest (so, not for existing fans)?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”