Line 6 Helix

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm going to watch it later (weird internet issues) but that's the guy that made me think twice about my GT-100.

Ok. So, with that one unless I'm missing something, it's a guy playing AC/DC. Sounds good.

But let's face it, many of the examples are TERRIBLE! :lol:

Hope I can try one someday. Neither sac nor rosehell has EVER had one. Not ever. In fact, I haven't even noticed one in the bay area/central valley (my search does chico, SF, SM, etc. )

I find most of his Helix patch demos to be from good to excellent, other than he talks to much at the beginning. All of those sounds will translate live and many are almost recording ready. Obviously they don't sound as good as sitting in the room with tube amps. But I don't know that any of them are "terrible". Again, if live simplicity is your goal, this is a killer box. I'm not even sure, if I were to somehow magically get the mojo with emulations, that I couldn't get these sounding virtually indistinguishable from a miced amp for recording purposes. So far I don't have the mojo. But, for gigging I would use it without hesitation.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Still, not a one on the lot. Not anywhere in the bay area or my area.

The reason I'm bumping this is mostly because it's very curious to me that the market doesn't scream for them. Clearly they are not backordered places like once was the time.

The market is still guitarists on a fixed budget. And guitarists are...guitarists. Which means many are still technophobes. Adrian Belew.... still doesn't use the variax technology in his Parker Variax guitar. The big name guitarists who are pushing midi technology... are in their 60's and beyond. Holdsworth, Metheney, McLaughlin.

I've had tube amps that sounded great, I've had other tube amps that I could never adapt to. Same thing with transistor amps.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Ok, when I take the Sterling back (again with the MM troll :lol: ) I'm ordering a Helix. Whether I keep it or not is a mystery that can only be known by Gallifrey :hihi:

incubus wrote:Ok, when I take the Sterling back (again with the MM troll :lol: ) I'm ordering a Helix. Whether I keep it or not is a mystery that can only be known by Gallifrey :hihi:
Spend some quality time with Helix.
Go beyond the presets.

Load some cab IRs... and create a few amp patches of your own.
I'd be surprised if you didn't like the Helix.
The UI is amazing, the I/O is super flexible, and the sound is great.

When you get the Helix, hit me up and I'll send a link to a collection of Friedman 2x12 (Vintage 30s) Cab IRs I created. Various mics/positions...
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Thanks, will do! It will be a week at least for them to get it.

I bogged and thought twice about it.......then pulled the trigger! :hyper:

Will be next week for certain before I get it, but had to try it. Actually, the local GC shops can't get them. You have to be a "real" platinum store. Wish I'd have known before and not wasted time :roll:

I'll never learn :dog:

ALWAYS pay the 4.95 extra for shipping or they make you wait forever extra! :x

Bought Tuesday, Shipped on Friday :roll:

Updating the really out-dated firmware was an experience in patience! :lol:

Wow, terrible. But the device seems to be ok now (after scouring through other people with the same problem)

Ok, I'll give a review in a few days.

Hmm, my update took 5 minutes and a sum total of 2 mouse clicks. The extra click was worth it to get snapshots.

a couple of default things to do ... at least this is how it worked best for me.

Make sure you never use "auto-impedence" at the input for your patches. On existing patches turn it off and set it to work best with the type of guitar you have plugged in, or stomp that is in front.

Set the global EQ for high cut and low cut. I have mine at 125000 and 65hz. Although it's obviously a taste thing, you will find that using the global helps when creating patches. They don't sound as shitty from the start. So the general impression won't prejudice you right off the get go as much.

I have a lot of ownhammer and pretty much all redwirez IR's. Although I do think most people think they sound better than the default provided IR's, I'm not sure that is actually true. All IR's can have gain and eq curves applied. The default Ownhammer and RedWirez IR's are much louder when loaded and they have not been eqed. If you go back to the cab IR's provided and turn off the eq and bump the gain, you will get similar results. I still prefer RedWirez, but probably because I know them fairly well. I also don't do high gain very often, so YMMV.

Thanks for the tips :)

I had the same problem as MANY others with the update. First, this is a pretty old factory model since it was version 1.065. Second many people "brick" the unit with the update even if they follow instructions. I had to bring my laptop in, go through all that setup, and then put it into "update mode" and then try two more times with the download of 2.01. Finally it worked. Why some people have to use a completely different computer (all of mine are win 10) is beyond me, but it's what some people have had to do.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”