Concerning Composers and VST Libraries.... Opinions appreciated

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I have been a lurker here for quite a while, and it has been a while since i have posted. I have come quite a ways in my own music production since I joined here and was wondering what some of the community recommendations might be towards some of the instruments that they can't simply live without.

Money is really no object here, but there are several libraries that I don't wish to part with as they have been very good to me. I am more interested in Niche VST instruments that embellish rather than bulk suites such as symphobia, Symphony strings series, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, I own and use

Project SAM Lumina ( useful for lighter compositions, though I rarely use it alone.)
Spitfire Albion one
Komplete 10 ultimate
Project sam Orchestral brass classic
Soundiron Requiem Light
Shevannai voices of elves
Forest Kingdom 2
Era 2
Embertone solo strings collection
Several other embertone solo instruments such as Ocarina, flutes etc.

I mainly compose fantasy or scifi themed music. I am currently creating a demo because I hope to one day do it as a job, at least on the side or for fun.

Thanks for reading. What are some of your favorites?

I think Spitfire's Earth EDNA is a great library to fill in the gaps or even as a main instrument. It has a massive amount of content and even though I'm not a fan of a lot of the presets, the raw material that is included to make you're own sounds is extensive and impressive.

Hollowsun and Rhythmic Robot make some great smaller libraries for scifi stuff. Though they have more of a retro sound.

For fantasy stuff, it looks like you're pretty well stocked.

Get a good granular synth like The Mangle. You can do a lot with it that would fit into your music.

I would recommend symphobia one and then something devoted to strings. I use LASS and LASS LS and those cover me for most string arrangements. Symphobia will give you ensemble versions of every section of the orchestra along with lots of good effects. A good all around orchestral percussion library would be good too. Cineperc is nice as is spitfire percussion.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

wagtunes wrote:Get a good granular synth like The Mangle. You can do a lot with it that would fit into your music.

Wow, the mangle sounds amazing. This is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. Thanks man!

deathmetalmaster wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Get a good granular synth like The Mangle. You can do a lot with it that would fit into your music.

Wow, the mangle sounds amazing. This is exactly the type of answer i was looking for. Thanks man!
Yeah, you really don't need anymore libraries with what you have. Take your existing sounds and just run them through this and you'll come up with more than enough new material for your music.

deathmetalmaster wrote:
I would avoid 'Mangle' as its developer seems to mostly avoid its own customers.
There are some good granular engines for Kontakt that might be better to explore now.

BBFG# wrote:
deathmetalmaster wrote:
I would avoid 'Mangle' as its developer seems to mostly avoid its own customers.
There are some good granular engines for Kontakt that might be better to explore now.
Just for balance, I have had the exact opposite experience. He is super into his new fm modular synth so hasn't been as responsive lately, but he does as well or better than most one man operations. Also the mangle just works so other than requesting new features there isn't much to talk to the guy about.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

We have Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE plus some expansion libraries for it and SampleTank 3 like Cinematic Percussion and the new Orchestral Percussion that might interest you.

Orchestral Percussion is really nice. Usually I listen to how the timpani are produced and I was happy to find that the timpani in OP are very rich and full sounding. Especially if you have Miroslav Philharmonik or Sampletank I think it is a a purchase well worth considering. Imo, the addition of OP raises Miroslav to an entirely new level, and I love the way it integrates into MP.

@Peter, would it be possible to get an update for Cinematic Percussion so that it integrates in the same way?

The addition of new instruments/articulations within Miroslav opens it up brilliantly and I hope that you continue to explore further orchestral additions in the future.

Check Epic SoundLab The Forge: http://www.epicsoundlab.com/the-forge

Sample modeling has some great insturments if you need some solos. They require some work to get right, but they can sound very very good.

Another one in a similar vein is Wallander insturments. They are modeled instead of sampled, so they don't have some of the problems samples have and their woodwind and brass bundles have almost every insturment you could think of. Of course you don't always need that, but when you want a Flugelhorn solo or a cine basso it's nice to have.

BBFG# wrote:
deathmetalmaster wrote:
While the Dev isn't a forum regular, I don't think anyone needing support has been ignored--unless you have heard something I haven't.

Instead of The mangle, consider Padshop Pro. it also has a couple of preset packs for it that seem quite interesting.

Prism by Native instrument might also be interesting to you.

Omnisphere 2 might be another great option for you.
dedication to flying

ontol wrote:
BBFG# wrote:
deathmetalmaster wrote:
While the Dev isn't a forum regular, I don't think anyone needing support has been ignored--unless you have heard something I haven't.
To be fair (I've been dealing with Tom since the very beginning) the developer is very slow, and sometimes unresponsive to emails. However, the Mangle is pretty rock solid. And since it is unlikely that there will be any future development on it, as long as it works on your system, you should be fine. It won't break anytime soon. Mine still works fine. I've just learned to expect that I'm on my own with it.

Return to “Instruments”