How far have computers come in the last 5 years? For DAW usage?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CPU manufacturers are having major problems with heat for the last 8 years or so. The main reason they can't increase the clock rate any more, but just keep adding cores.

Cores are only useful when the task/processing can be done in parallel. Which is not always the case.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

So yeah, I am basically waiting for the next huge leap here...phrases like "quantum computing" have been thrown around...dunno, but yeah, somethin' like that.

That is what Ol' Grizzellda will get on the bandwagon for...

Hey!!! We are still talking DAW stuff, aren't we?

Not much, more power but the big jumps were made until 2009, since then we only get small incremental upgrades.
dedication to flying

But all I want is super-duper, uber modern, ultra nano quantum: computing!

To calculate my beats...and make those virtual guitar amps f*ck*n roar, that's all... 8)

my 2500k will be what, 6 years old soon, I'm sloooowly starting to feel like upgrading it. there's no speed increase with newer ones, which is really lame, but the larger caches and ddr4 bandwidth are interesting.

rod_zero wrote:Not much, more power but the big jumps were made until 2009, since then we only get small incremental upgrades.
I still run a Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz with 8GB DDR2. :D
It starts to feel a little old, but I still can make music on it, actually it made me be more careful with how many plugins I use and to bounce stuff which I didn't used to do years ago and got to a point when I had to open an old project and I was missing some VSTs.

There could be a big change in performance and prices but that will happen if only ZEN will deliver the performance AMD hopes for. Thinking that it was designed by Jim Keller, made from scratch and on 14nm I can say there is a big chance for it to be the Intel killer for a while. Intel really needs some competition, they have really big prices and last 2 generations didn't bring too much over previous, they've become lazy and greedy.

acYm wrote:my 2500k will be what, 6 years old soon, I'm sloooowly starting to feel like upgrading it. there's no speed increase with newer ones, which is really lame, but the larger caches and ddr4 bandwidth are interesting.
huh??

I run a 4970k and this one has an increased speed compared to yours.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4 ... e-i5-2500K

Also, double the threads will (especially with multicore support in DAW's) increase your performance even more!

I wouldn't trust CPUBoss, I've seen so many errors in there.

acYm wrote:There could be a big change in performance and prices but that will happen if only ZEN will deliver the performance AMD hopes for. T
This sounds really cool...could you, would you, talk a little more about this? What kind of performance does AMD hope for?

Please understand that the posts I recently made were quite frankly, thinking about the distant future...but what you are saying seems more realistic...

This future is not so distant, I think it's suppose to be released this fall.
According to AMD, Zen's main focus will be on increasing per-core performance. A 2016 presentation from CERN engineer Liviu Valsan reported that the process would use SMT (simultaneous multithreading) microarchitecture. The change from a clustered multi-thread (CMT) design in the previous Bulldozer microarchitecture) to SMT is expected to offer higher per thread floating point performance at cost of lower core count/larger die size. (from wikipedia)
Also it's said to be available in 2 to 16 cores.

The thing is if AMD doesn't deliver an Intel killer CPU, company will fall down, most likely go into bankruptcy. They already are in debts and is a point of no return.

Cores are only useful when the task/processing can be done in parallel. Which is not always the case.
DAWs are definitelly the case. Every track can be processed in parallel. Many synths implement parallel pocessing internally. I would be happy to get 8-core processor or more.

...but I'm still ok with my almost 6-year old PC.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Yeah multicore is good for synths and sampling.

SSDs are more affordable now...

I keep thinking about a new build and then talking myself out of it.

Unaspected wrote:SSDs are more affordable now...

I keep thinking about a new build and then talking myself out of it.
Do dishes then

The ability to put 128GB of extermely high speed ram on a commodity MB is just as big an improvement as SSD. Especially for sample library users.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”