FX Pedals Thread: News, Views, Etc.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

resynthesis wrote:Noise and cross-talk could be poor PCB layout. I haven't used many of these pedals but I have two Mooers which I'm really impressed with and which aren't noisier than the pedals they're cloning (Fuzz Face and Keeley DS1).
Does their Fuzz Face actually have germanium transistors? It seems unlikely.

MXL Microphones once told me their 990 and 991 microphones are identical circuits and capsules, and that the only reason they sound different from each other is because of the microphone bodies and the proximities of the components to each other.
Uncle E, which pedal (or what type of pedal) did you build? We noticed some differences with SM opamps but none with transistor based layouts once we matched resistor and capacitors.
The Tone Bakery Creme Double, which is 2 Klones in a single pedal:

FWIW, this pedal sounds a lot like the Klon KTR and Rockett Archer, both of which are SMC, while the through-hole Creme de la Creme sounds more like my real silver Klon. Also, to your point about opamps, I have installed both full size OPA2134's and SMC OPA2134's and can confirm that there was a big difference between them.

Fredric Effects also do a double Klon clone

it's not been off my board since i got it. great pedal.

I just bought a wampler tumnus.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

wampler tumnus: first off, diggin' the outlay of the knobs. other mini pedal makers could learn from this. outstanding. hope it sounds as good as it looks.

I played it in the middle of a vendor show event with guitars and drums blasting everywhere, but it seems to have that certain Grindy sound you would expect from that type of clone. I'd heard demos online prior to playing with one plugged in. Even though the environment wasn't ideal, it didn't disappoint.

Uncle E wrote:
resynthesis wrote:Noise and cross-talk could be poor PCB layout. I haven't used many of these pedals but I have two Mooers which I'm really impressed with and which aren't noisier than the pedals they're cloning (Fuzz Face and Keeley DS1).
Does their Fuzz Face actually have germanium transistors? It seems unlikely.

MXL Microphones once told me their 990 and 991 microphones are identical circuits and capsules, and that the only reason they sound different from each other is because of the microphone bodies and the proximities of the components to each other.
Uncle E, which pedal (or what type of pedal) did you build? We noticed some differences with SM opamps but none with transistor based layouts once we matched resistor and capacitors.
The Tone Bakery Creme Double, which is 2 Klones in a single pedal:

FWIW, this pedal sounds a lot like the Klon KTR and Rockett Archer, both of which are SMC, while the through-hole Creme de la Creme sounds more like my real silver Klon. Also, to your point about opamps, I have installed both full size OPA2134's and SMC OPA2134's and can confirm that there was a big difference between them.
I have the Blue Faze which is a Si fuzz face. The Grey Faze is the Ge in which they claim to use vintage trannies. There were gutshots of the grey on FSB but they seem to have disappeared unfortunately.

Thanks for the info about your build. It's a bit of an odd situation with opamps. Some researchers have pointed to differences in trace lengths, etc. causing audible differences maybe the noise leads to differences due to stochastic resonance or something :) No flames please, that's a joke I think.

resynthesis wrote: It's a bit of an odd situation with opamps. Some researchers have pointed to differences in trace lengths, etc. causing audible differences maybe the noise leads to differences due to stochastic resonance or something :)
The key is to find the Russian tan colored pcb versions. Much much warmer/creamier. :D

So, I bought this 2 amp power supply with an 8-connector daisy chain. Is 2 amps too much for hooking up a bunch of 15ma, 20ma, 50ma pedals? Would the 2 amps fry say, a 20ma pedal?

One website said that you want to have a power supply which is roughly double the rating of all your pedals combined? Is this generally a rule?

I've been using a "Mosky DC Core 10" which has a 1-amp wall wart, and 7 100ma outlets, as well as a 500ma. In addition to those 8, 9v connectors, it also offers 1 each of 12v and 18v. It's not an isolated unit, but it seems like an improvement over my previous setup.

I'm wondering if this 2 amp wall wart is overkill.

Does anyone have a MEL9 from Electro-Harmonix?

How about a "Mothership" (MGS) from Pigtronix? Are there any pedals similar to the Mothership, but at a lower cost?

How about the Red Witch Red-Synth? Does anyone have that, or know of any alternatives for a similar sound?

Xiangqi wrote:So, I bought this 2 amp power supply with an 8-connector daisy chain. Is 2 amps too much for hooking up a bunch of 15ma, 20ma, 50ma pedals? Would the 2 amps fry say, a 20ma pedal?
Too much amperage won't hurt your pedals. The danger is when you have too little amperage, then your pedals might draw too much and ruin your power supply. You do want isolated.

My buddy uses a bunch of Strymon pedals and has to use a separate wall wart for each one, even though he's using a Voodoo Lab power supply. The Strymon's just draw too much power and he doesn't want to pay the small fortune they're charging for their power supply.

Also picked up a Helix and an H9 Max. The little I got to play with the Helix was super nice. I probably won't use it at home. But, I can't imagine anything better/easier to use for live from a convenience standpoint.

These ammoons are pretty good; maybe even great. These do seem to be re-packaged Joyos. Basically, it looks like 'ammoon' pedals are Joyos at $2-$10 off the Joyo equivalent price.

Be that as it may, the 'Vintage Overdrive' sounds really good for a ~$30 pedal. It's like a real 'drive' and doesn't overly 'distort'. ymmv

The one delay does not have the ridiculous ms lengths as it was advertised though. As expected, it's actually something like 30ms (20ms?) to 620ms. I've got the 'Analog Delay' and the 'Digital Delay'. The pedal design is a bit different, but they seem to be fairly much the same in functionality.

Ordered 3 more 'drive' pedals: Biyang Mad Driver OD-10, Joyo Ultimate Drive JF-02, and NUX OD-3. It's not yet clear where the NUX or Biyang drives fit in, but Joyo's Ultimate Drive is supposed to be a step beyond their Vintage Overdrive. Supposedly the Ultimate is inspired by the 'OCD' pedal?

After a day with the Helix I am both super impressed and still not a digital convert :P

It is really good sounding, but the tendency is always to overdo the sound to mask the "lack". However, that lack is very small now. So, for the purpose of playing out, it is amazing. Just have to resist the temptation to drench everything in delay, reverb and distortion.

The Tumnus is simply a better Klon IMO. A bit more low end.

But this is my favorite new pedal ...

Xiangqi wrote:Supposedly the Ultimate is inspired by the 'OCD' pedal?
The layout is the same and it can be modded to sound identical to an OCD, even closer than your Danelectro clone. However, stock it is very dark and smooth sounding, which is why Freekish Blues used it as their Dumble-in-box.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”