Unfiltered Audio G8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thelizard wrote:
Daags wrote:
thelizard wrote:I posted a sneak peak of the second of the three new plug-ins on Soundcloud yesterday. Check it out!
https://soundcloud.com/the-february-tha ... ly-preview

a fan and license owner of your existing plugins since day 1 ... but these audio demos [including the 'fault' demos] surely don't do the plugins justice. sounds like harsh, distorted mush... i guess you know your biggest demographic in terms of sales, but i'm hoping for more pleasant possibilities when i get a chance to demo the plugins myself.
Two of the new plug-ins lean on the experimental side, but I would say not to worry and wait until you try the demos. If I post something on my February Thaw Soundcloud, that generally means that the demo will be very much in the style of whatever I've been listening to lately. Currently, that means experimental/academic/harsh/noisy sounds and textures, as I've been listening to a ton of Raster-Noton artists.

Fault's a frequency and pitch shifter. The frequency shifter side tends toward metallic timbres (like a ring modulator). However, we've emphasized lower-frequency and stereo operation, which makes it a great stereo-imaging tool. If you listen to the two demos, you can hear that it adds huge stereo expansion to whatever the input is. The soupy delays are optional =)

For Spec Ops, it is heavily dependent on your input and control settings. It can be used for extremely subtle filtering and noise removal, or full spectral destruction and transformation.

If anything, Sandman is a good barometer to run off of. It can be used in a very subtle, clean manner. It can also thrash a signal beyond recognition. In general, we want our plug-ins to be as flexible as possible, without adding distinct, obvious sonic characteristics to our users' music (I hate listening to things and thinking "Oh, this is clearly that piece of gear or that plug-in"). My favorite part of the Sandman beta test was that users were sending me tracks where I had no idea how a sound was made. I realized that my idea of what Sandman "sounded" like was based entirely on how I had been using it.
I'm very curious about Fault now. I feel I know exactly what you mean about picking out what was used in a track. I'm a big fan of Permut8, but I was listening to a track that popped on Pandora, and I recognized immediately a Permut8 patch. This isn't really something bad, but it did sort of ruin the song for me. It was such a small effect, but I couldn't stop focusing on it and nothing else.

provoc wrote:Just want to report that I cannot get the sidechain to work in the VST3 version in Reaper 32bit (it is grayed out) and no variations of the number of channels/pin connectors enable it (and I never get a signal in advanced view even when a sidechain is connected).

VST2 sidechaining works perfectly.
I've noticed this issue in Reaper 64-bit too. Hoping it will get solved in a forthcoming update.

TheoM wrote:
ericzang wrote:flip mode seems to provide a ducking action?
flip mode is to hear the reject outs ie what's being removed
I really wish G8 took care of ducking too. Flip mode nearly does what I want; it just needs for the Reduction control to adjust the amount the signal is attenuated when the threshold is exceeded rather than adjusting the attenuation of the overall signal, which seem pretty much a duplicate of output gain in this mode. Here's hoping that a ducking mode can be added (or perhaps the Flip mode changed to ducking since the reject outputs are already there anyway).

msl wrote:I really wish G8 took care of ducking too. Flip mode nearly does what I want; it just needs for the Reduction control to adjust the amount the signal is attenuated when the threshold is exceeded rather than adjusting the attenuation of the overall signal, which seem pretty much a duplicate of output gain in this mode. Here's hoping that a ducking mode can be added (or perhaps the Flip mode changed to ducking since the reject outputs are already there anyway).
+1

yes a proper ducking mode please, this still gives proG the edge unfortunately, as wonderful and amazing a plugin as G8 still is.

For ducking right now i use the cheap as chips ear reckon analog gate, but being so into minimalism these days, i wish i had it all in one plugin.

We have an internal alpha for G8. We're sending it into beta after Fault and Dent are released (we're in the last four weeks of beta there).

Currently, 1.5 is going to be a free update, but it will be installed on the machine as "Unfiltered Audio G8 1.5". It will exist as a separate plug-in, due to the fact that it contains changes that are not backward-compatible with previous versions of G8. Existing customers will be able to access legacy installers from the Plugin Alliance website if they wish to install the old version.

The reason for this is that JUCE has undergone some major revisions, mainly due to the ROLI acquisition along with sponsorship from Elektron and Slate. The sidechaining system has undergone a complete overhaul, along with parameter ID handling, VST3/AAX/AU fixes, etc.

G8 1.5 will have the following fixes:
-Updated sidechaining fixes. Should fix it in all hosts (including REAPER).
-Scalable interface.
-Reject mute switch. This fixes compatibility with FLStudio and other hosts that sum all outputs.

We are hoping to tackle the following as well:
-Wavelab compatibility
-Waveform display not animating correctly in Digital Performer.

For Ducking vs. Flip mode, since we're already breaking compatibility...
How many people use Flip mode in its current state? How many people would prefer to have Flip replaced with Duck? Are there people who are automating between regular and Flip? Would simply having access to the Reject outputs be good enough for your purposes, instead of having an automatable button?

never use flip mode here, not sure about anyone else. Cast your votes friends!

I certainly use flip, not a ducker though.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Why not have flip and duck? The more options the better. Plus I use Fl studio and would not use the reject output feature so I would like the flip mode switch (the same one that is in the CM version). Having a new duck feature sounds good though. Again, the more options the better (without having to do any routings in FL Studio).
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:Why not have flip and duck? The more options the better. Plus I use Fl studio and would not use the reject output feature so I would like the flip mode switch (the same one that is in the CM version). Having a new duck feature sounds good though. Again, the more options the better (without having to do any routings in FL Studio).
We could certainly do both!

My main thought was that if nobody used the Flip feature, we could replace that button with a Duck button. We could alternatively add a new combo box to replace the Flip button, and have selections like "Gate", "Flip", "Duck", etc. The latter is more flexible, but adds more complication to the interface. If it sounds cool, we could simply add a Duck button without removing Flip, so that you could Flip and Duck simultaneously (Honestly, though, it'd probably just sound like gating + reduction).
Last edited by thelizard on Sun May 29, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whoops. double-post.

Well... I use the flip feature ... Sorry about that :) Just being silly (no but really I use it, seriously).
Play it by ear

Ducking is especially nice if there's an output limiter built in so you can crank it up without the transients clipping. :) this is a very useful function in the CL compressor and a bummer that Fabfilter left it out of pro-g.

thelizard wrote: We could certainly do both!

My main thought was that if nobody used the Flip feature, we could replace that button with a Duck button. We could alternatively add a new combo box to replace the Flip button, and have selections like "Gate", "Flip", "Duck", etc. The latter is more flexible, but adds more complication to the interface. If it sounds cool, we could simply add a Duck button without removing Flip, so that you could Flip and Duck simultaneously (Honestly, though, it'd probably just sound like gating + reduction).
+1 for adding the extra ducking option rather than removing flip .. options are always good :)

Hey people,

Just bought this recently and am having a little play for the first time. Loving the flexibility and control you get. Good job!

Firstly - I know this might be obvious to some people but I'm a bit stumped. Also, sorry if it's been cleared up previously in this thread. I'm having an issue with MIDI input and I can't find any detailed info about it in the manual.

My aim is to create a MIDI gate. I'm using Logic Pro X and inserting G8 onto instrument channel 1. I would've expected the MIDI from instrument channel 1 to automatically route through the G8 instance on the same channel. However, this doesn't seem to be happening - the MIDI lamp is not being triggered. btw I did notice the MIDI note selection and have set this accordingly.

Any advice you can throw at me to enlighten me?

Ta x

Return to “Effects”