Reason 9 officially announced!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gentleclockdivider wrote:The update rate of reason's cv rate is still a ridiculously low 700hz , fine for control rate duties but NOT for audio .
I created a thread about this a couple of years ago , too lazy too look it up .
The CV is actually running at 1/64 of audio rate which means 689 Hz @ 44.1 Khz, but it also means that it's sample rate dependent (i.e. 96 Khz would give you 1.5 Khz).

However, some devices can use audio connections instead of CV to allow for audio rate modulation (Thor, Pulveriser, Pulsar LFO, Synapse AF4 are a couple from the top of my head).

I would love Reason even more if PH offered a subscription service for Reason + all Rack Extensions (i.e. RE's being available as demos within the entire subscription period, not just for 30 days).

Everything seems to be set for this already, with the required login to user account for the RE access.
Something like $29.99 a month and their business would probably sky rocket. :tu:

Now in regard to the criticism of Reason I'd like to offer my $0.02:

I know a few guys who ONLY use Reason and are happy with that. These guys are also extremely productive and maybe that's because the software itself is so simple and limited compared to the big DAWs. Maybe it's a good thing that you can always be creative and experiment with CV's and stuff, always"with the safety of undo" in regard to exactly everything you do. Maybe people like that it's so easy to demo Rack Extensions with a few clicks and that you can install Reason on both your studio machine and on your laptop, and they are exact copies of each other with all RE's being automatically synced and working with all your songs.

It's probably mainly a comfort and workflow thing. Sometimes people don't want "the best possible", but will settle for something that's "good enough" if it also works better for them to enter that special sandbox of creativity and fun. For such purposes, I think Reason is one of the best tools available today. But it's a matter of personal experience, of course. I can totally understand those ex-users who wanted features for years that never showed up, and all the potential users who refrain from getting any Rack Extensions because they can't sell them second hand. However, both these categories of users tend to live in the future, in contrast to the here and now.

Reason 9 is a bit on the meh side. I like the chorder thingy (but there are some things that need to be worked on) great for someone like me.

Very disappointed that there are not more general workflow enhancements. That's was more important to me than anything.

Eh. I had planned to upgrade to Reason 9 from 7, skipping 8, but it looks like I'm waiting another version, and probably spending the money on an ableton upgrade to suite whenever the next ableton comes out instead.

What propellerhead needs to do is just start putting in their own stable of rack extensions in reason. Pulsar, their pianos, their guitars,parsec, etc. just need to be default inclusions.

As it is, I still don't have a reason to upgrade when all I'm really doing with Reason in rewiring it, and nothing new is being added to that functionality.

GaBeRock wrote:Eh. I had planned to upgrade to Reason 9 from 7, skipping 8, but it looks like I'm waiting another version, and probably spending the money on an ableton upgrade to suite whenever the next ableton comes out instead.

What propellerhead needs to do is just start putting in their own stable of rack extensions in reason. Pulsar, their pianos, their guitars,parsec, etc. just need to be default inclusions.

As it is, I still don't have a reason to upgrade when all I'm really doing with Reason in rewiring it, and nothing new is being added to that functionality.

well yeah if you are just rewiring it, maybe this isn't worth it to you. But for those who use reason as their main daw, it's definitely a big step in the right direction imo.

TheoM wrote:
GaBeRock wrote:Eh. I had planned to upgrade to Reason 9 from 7, skipping 8, but it looks like I'm waiting another version, and probably spending the money on an ableton upgrade to suite whenever the next ableton comes out instead.

well yeah if you are just rewiring it, maybe this isn't worth it to you. But for those who use reason as their main daw, it's definitely a big step in the right direction imo.
It doesn't really look like that to me, to be honest.We already had an arpeggiator and there's probably some sort of matrix/cv routing/combinator magic that could pull off what either of the new effects do. Pitch edit is neat, but bounce in place is just a rehash of what we can already do, and audio to MIDI is a gimmick for most people. I got way more functionality added in just the 9 to 9.5 point update for ableton.

Unless I'm missing something, there are less than 10 new features. That's barely anything.

GaBeRock wrote: It doesn't really look like that to me, to be honest.We already had an arpeggiator and there's probably some sort of matrix/cv routing/combinator magic that could pull off what either of the new effects do.
they (player devices) can write back the changes to the original track(instantly), it's quite unique AFAIK
direct recording also quite nice(hope Nora gonna solve these someday :D )

--

otherwise chord chopping is very good/effecitve method for initial idea generating in melody driven genres (with key-zone based routing) in AL(or in any DAW) too, u have to modify the chord progression/melody only one place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn5-Fc8yOvg

ofc Nora can't write back the changes directly to AL(or to the DAWs) only able to capture it's own output, the UI of Nora is light-year better than the Reason's one but it's a quite good creative method otherwise so big + to propellerheads to implement it
Last edited by xbitz on Sun May 29, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

stroker_ace wrote:
The Jiggery-Pokery Bucket Brigade Bundle is an absolute no-brainer at €29.00.
Where do you see this? I cannot find this bundle in their search box... :(

they realised it was a booboo and removed it during the sale

TheoM wrote:they realised it was a booboo and removed it during the sale
I see. Ok thanks.

incubus wrote:
xbitz wrote:Image

OSCiLLOT Modular System also supports VST(i)s in Live(m4l device)
yeah, me too lol...

I've gotten a lot of use and inspiration from Reason 4-7, passed on 8, will demo 9.

The thing I don't like about P-Heads' strategy...since they basically farmed out instrument/effect development via REs for the past few years, I hoped they'd put more effort into making Reason's sequencer the absolute best it can be. While Blocks were an interesting move, I kinda thought they'd take it a step further with an Ableton/Bitwig-like live triggering mode. When using the Reason sequencer interface, it feels like I'm wearing boxing gloves or thick mittens while other DAWs (especially Reaper, also Logic and Ableton Live) feel like form-fitting gloves, if that makes sense.

True that. Again, I'm really disappointed there is not more focus on work flow.

This could have been a .5 upgrade for like 49 bucks and that would have felt better.

festeringheap wrote:
incubus wrote:
xbitz wrote:Image

OSCiLLOT Modular System also supports VST(i)s in Live(m4l device)
yeah, me too lol...
my favorite on is the Key FluX FX Processor

from http://www.reason101.net/101-creative-r ... processor/ :D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”