Fine Cut Bodies: La Petite Excite - Free exciter plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Naenyn wrote:Found this plugin while reading an article over on Synthtopia yesterday. Given my proclivity for exciters lately, I immediately tried it. It is pretty nice! :tu:

Anyone else tried it? What do you think?

Thanks for the link. This is really nice.

I am glad you guys like it, but this is not an exciter at all, just a high/low shelf EQ with approx. +15.5 dB of gain.
There is no harmonic excitement at all, just a pretty clean transparent signal, so the name is misleading IMO.

https://imgur.com/a/3LcxG

Last edited by Lesha on Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's easy if you know how

lesha wrote:I am glad you guys like it, but this is not an exciter at all, just a high/low shelf EQ with approx. +15.5 dB of gain.
There is no harmonic excitement at all, just a pretty clean transparent signal, so the name is misleading IMO.

It depends how you define word exciter...

Perhaps the first real enhancer was the equaliser, a device that works by cutting or boosting a part of the audio spectrum to alter the overall spectral balance. EQ can help brighten sounds or change the relative balance of the bass and mid-range, but it can only work with what's already there -- if the frequencies you want to hear never existed in the first place, no amount of EQ will bring them out.

more: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... iters.html

Also maker of this plugin doesn't state "Aural Exciter" or "Phase Exciter" or "Dynamic Exciter" Harmonic, e.t.c.
Just plain simple "Exciter".

However..

It's easy if you know how

lesha wrote:I am glad you guys like it, but this is not an exciter at all, just a high/low shelf EQ with approx. +15.5 dB of gain.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's priceless - especially considering all the praise this thing received from the experts here in the thread. :-o
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Den* wrote:

It depends how you define word exciter...
Not really. 'Exciter' in this sense doesn't infer that you or the listener feel excited by the processing. ;-) It means that frequencies in the original material 'excite' = 'stimulate the creation of' 2nd and 3rd (and maybe more) harmonics.

So, to call a set of shelf filters 'Exciter' is, in fact, misleading since it infers something else than EQ.

That said, La Petite does sound quite good to my ears…

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Call me wrong but isn't the vst-analyzer using a static testone? I mean can it show you how a vst reacts with dynamic content?
Just want to clarify things. Maybe the exciter is somehow coupled to the dynamic. At afternoon I will try this plugin myself and will report my experience.

Cheers
rabbit in a hole

What do you mean? Doesn't the testtone peak at 0dB? Sure, the generation of harmonics could react dynamically on the program material, but if this is already at 0dB and there aren't any overtones, then from what signal level upwards would you expect overtones to be created? +10dB? :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

If true how could he mislead his "good friend" who made the video review and let him make a fool of himself like that?... Friends today huh

Bouroki wrote:If true how could he mislead his "good friend" who made the video review and let him make a fool of himself like that?... Friends today huh
Remember when Focusrite released same plugins all over again? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=430345
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Bouroki wrote:If true how could he mislead his "good friend" who made the video review and let him make a fool of himself like that?... Friends today huh
after reading this thread, my friend almost killed me ;)

On a more serious note as some people in this thread pointed out not every exciter is using harmonic exciting and using VST analyzer sometimes can be misleading. So if someone defines exciter as a harmonic distortion device, then it is not an exciter, though I don't agree on that definition. This one uses some phase manipulation and dynamic equalization and based on the schematic of a classic 90s hardware. Lubomir Ivanov was the clever guy who transcribed from schematics as it is stated in the plugin info. I've ported his algorithm to C++ and although it's not a super complex algorithm, it's not a simple shelving EQ.

Hope this will defend me from my Ambrus' vendetta!!!!!!!!

Anything new from you in the pipeline, FineCut?

Russell Grand wrote:Anything new from you in the pipeline, FineCut?
There is a couple of creative effects in the works, but I've been distracted by developing plugins for other companies and scoring some films. Hope I can get them out early next year!

FineCutBodies wrote:
Russell Grand wrote:Anything new from you in the pipeline, FineCut?
There is a couple of creative effects in the works, but I've been distracted by developing plugins for other companies and scoring some films. Hope I can get them out early next year!
Nice! :tu:

Return to “Effects”