Magix buys Sony Creative Software (Acid)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACID Pro 8

AcidPro has been in a death-like coma for years so not cause for unhappiness there. Vegas is still a healthy product so it'll be interesting to see what happens to that. It was weird that Sony never took advantage of the software considering its huge hardware range. Makes you wonder why they ever bothered to make the purchase from Sonic Foundry in the first place.

I've spend countless hours in Sound Forge at the beginning of 2000's. No broadband internet, no fancy samples and sound libraries available, doing your own sampling, sampling your guitar, drums, tambourine...sampling even your own fart. Good times.
If it dies, I'll be sad.

Maybe they want to kill the competition.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Magix Acid Maker.. hmmm sounds good
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

brainzistor wrote:I've spend countless hours in Sound Forge at the beginning of 2000's. No broadband internet, no fancy samples and sound libraries available, doing your own sampling, sampling your guitar, drums, tambourine...sampling even your own fart. Good times.
If it dies, I'll be sad.
Me too though haven't used it in years to be honest... I do remember first buying it when they heavily discounted it (v5 I think, late 90s) but download only; literally took all evening to grab the 40Mb installer. :)

The best products in the software line are Vegas, Sound Forge and Spectralayers, IMO. They have been also promoting the new Catalyst lately. Sound Forge has been my sound editor of choice in Windows since it first appeared. For so long I was hoping the fuse Sound Forge and Spectralayers. I sincerely hope that Magix doesn't decide to incorporate everything in Samplitude (especially because I gave up on it since their mess with the launch of Pro X) and keep Sound Forge as an independent product, hopefully incorporating Spectralayers finally. Let's not forget DVD Architect, Noise Reduction and Acoustic Mirror - they once were in the front edge of audio technology
Fernando (FMR)

deastman wrote:Magix isn't exactly a top tier developer.
Maybe not in terms of marketing but in terms of product - samplitude - arguably the best out there.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Would be great if a Magix representative popped in and gave us some info. :-D

Please don't drop Acid :pray: (see what I did there?)

For my needs, making the app 64-bit would be enough, for rewiring Reason into it.

Realistically though, Magix aquired Sony Creative for Vegas, Spectral Layers and possibly Sound Forge (or parts of it).

Does the Sony creative software purchase include the sample collection also??
If that's the case it would be utter pants, Magix samples collections are not royalty free, you have to buy a separate pro license to use them commercially.

I wonder if that would be the case with Sony samples if this purchase includes them aswell?

On the plus side, Acid Pro may get a new lease of life, I've not used it in years, so would definitely like to see it back in action.

Reminds me of the doom forecast when Adobe aquired Cool Edit
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Magix have bought 2 companies that I had software from, Sek'd (Samplitude) and Yellow Tools (Independence). Both times the transition was smooth and support good.

Sony, on the other hand, have had shocking support for years and I gave up using SoundForge after their takeover of Sonic Foundry and first release. Hopefully this will mean I can get back into it.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

I still use Sound Forge all the time -- heck, just yesterday. I haven't used Acid Pro much in years, though. I wish they WOULD buff it up -- it still has the easiest routing of anything out there.

Jeez, I need Sound Forge and CD Architect. Wonder what they are gonna do for existing owners who have to, e.g., reinstall on a new drive....
Tom Smith
http://tomsmith.bandcamp.com - http://www.filkertom.com - http://www.thefump.com
Win10/64 - I5 3570K - 16 GB RAM - BIAB 2016 - Reaper 5 - Sound Forge Pro 9

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Reminds me of the doom forecast when Adobe aquired Cool Edit
It stopped me using it, mainly because of the stupid price increases and CP. I still use Cool Edit though.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

filkertom wrote: Jeez, I need Sound Forge and CD Architect. Wonder what they are gonna do for existing owners who have to, e.g., reinstall on a new drive....
Same here. Hopefully support will continue.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”