waves Cobalt Saphira

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cobalt Saphira

Interesting! OK then my challenge to anyone testing Saphira is to match the output gain so it sounds like exactly the same volume & report your impressions.

I'll try my plug comparison again later to check it wasn't just tired ears.

Andy Gone wrote:
incubus wrote:Let's be realistic: NOBODY pays full price for waves ;) (it's 99 for now and that will probably be more than a month)
LOL that's true.

I'm trying now using Saphira to make bass guitar more present on small speakers, and I get quite good results.
Not surprised, they make a fine product.

simon.a.billington wrote:It's actually quite stunning.

You have about 7 harmonic profiles to choose from (A-G), not one with many of the alternatives, well at least that's what I'm calling them.

In addition you can directly blend and drive the odds and evens separately, contour them with eq and then pass it through some type of tape saturation.

It is quite unique in what it does and it offers a unique tonal quality on top of that.

I already have a few saturation plugins, it would be hard to resist buying this one too considering its virtues.

You are spot on. Waves have nailed this. If this is the sort of quality they are going to be giving free to mercury users from now on i will eventually probably upgrade to mercury some day again.

This one is exactly what waves say.. glue.. a very subtle cohesion and weight to the mix in the nicest possible way, working insanely well with the glue after it. The thing that makes it so good is that is is not smushing the sounds like so many other plugins of this type.

Yeah it is NOT an in your face one, but for me that's a good thing. I highly recommend saphira, I am definitely a fan of this plugin.

i'm also all for reviver, it was a lovely cheap plugin for it's day that is easy to use.. but driven hard it's still very subtle yet totally breaks apart especially on a mix. Sorry but it can't compare to cobalt saphira.

incubus wrote:The problem I ran into fwiw was that it's kinda ridiculous to have so many of a similar flavor. For example, let's say you own vitamin (good product) slate VCC (another good product) and maybe some saturater (like satin for example)

Ok, now what? Well, you'll still need to eq and maybe depending on taste do compression. So then listen to your mix. Chances are excellent it will suck ass. It's just too much emulations and stuff clipping stuff (unless your gain staging is perfect) and mud will ensue.

So, on it's own? Could be nice and I have no doubt it's a fine product, but if you have the other stuff I'm really skeptical that it can be introduced and actually improve anything.

the whole point is that you are supposed to know which ones to use for different types of music you mix. Only experience/time can help with that. For example saphira can really work on EDM but I know i am not going to throw slate VTM on an EDM track. And it's ok to own a variety as long as you don't use them all in the same song LOL.

Honestly I use VCC in everything, that's the only one, but I have learned which modes sit better with which music and I absolutely never drive it hard - it's never obvious it's on until you use the group function to turn it off. And using a GOOD tape plugin in conjunction WITH vcc is fine.

Think about a real studio when tape was the thing they used - analog desk/tape/hardware comps and EQ's combined. Even now some swear by tape.

The way I would use saphira is on busses and not be using any tape plugins in that mix. But you can still use a pre plugin on just a vocal for example, like IK neve or something.. that's not an issue at all. Again it's all about knowing what to use with what to sound good for whatever music you happen to be mixing.

console+tape+Pre/drive plugin/decapitator/radiator/vintage comp/Vintage EQ with harmonics/Saphira - all on one mix is of course ridiculous. Who does that? I mean that's the sort of thing you were alluding to yes?

The plugin is good. It's worth having if you realise to use it inSTEAD of other stuff that you already use that adds harmonics, rather than in addition to it.. you just gotta know when to choose to use saphira over an alternative or vice versa.

incubus wrote:The problem I ran into fwiw was that it's kinda ridiculous to have so many of a similar flavor. For example, let's say you own vitamin (good product) slate VCC (another good product) and maybe some saturater (like satin for example)

Ok, now what? Well, you'll still need to eq and maybe depending on taste do compression. So then listen to your mix. Chances are excellent it will suck ass. It's just too much emulations and stuff clipping stuff (unless your gain staging is perfect) and mud will ensue.

So, on it's own? Could be nice and I have no doubt it's a fine product, but if you have the other stuff I'm really skeptical that it can be introduced and actually improve anything.

the whole point is that you are supposed to know which ones to use for different types of music you mix. Only experience/time can help with that. For example saphira can really work on EDM but I know i am not going to throw slate VTM on an EDM track. And it's ok to own a variety as long as you don't use them all in the same song LOL.

Honestly I use VCC in everything, that's the only one, but I have learned which modes sit better with which music and I absolutely never drive it hard - it's never obvious it's on until you use the group function to turn it off. And using a GOOD tape plugin in conjunction WITH vcc is fine.

Think about a real studio when tape was the thing they used - analog desk/tape/hardware comps and EQ's combined. Even now some swear by tape.

The way I would use saphira is on busses and not be using any tape plugins in that mix. But you can still use a pre plugin on just a vocal for example, like IK neve or something.. that's not an issue at all. Again it's all about knowing what to use with what to sound good for whatever music you happen to be mixing.

console+tape+Pre/drive plugin/decapitator/radiator/vintage comp/Vintage EQ with harmonics/Saphira - all on one mix is of course ridiculous. Who does that? I mean that's the sort of thing you were alluding to yes?

The plugin is good. It's worth having if you realise to use it inSTEAD of other stuff that you already use that adds harmonics, rather than in addition to it.. you just gotta know when to choose to use saphira over an alternative or vice versa.

Resurrecting this thread to say that I am loving this plugin for buses and mastering.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Resurrecting this thread to say that I am loving this plugin for buses and mastering.
It's a great plugin... I love it on bass.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

same - it has a GUI which doesn't conform with the standard GUIs you see on anything which warms or introduces harmonic distortion. If they made some fake outboard processor with scratches and ye olde time dials...it would probably be more popular...so hopefully stays a hidden secret weapon ;)

Kindred wrote:If they made some fake outboard processor with scratches and ye olde time dials...it would probably be more popular...so hopefully stays a hidden secret weapon ;)
Hah... That's very true. I'm surprised they didn't make it look all 'steam punk' like one of their recent vox processors. People like the edgy look for distortion units.

As you say... Nice little secret weapon. :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Saphira is great.

It's got me interested in Waves Vitamin harmonic exciter now too.... should I bother?

MogwaiBoy wrote:Saphira is great.

It's got me interested in Waves Vitamin harmonic exciter now too.... should I bother?
Vitamin is great, worth a demo.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

hivkorn wrote:does reaper work with waves plugins?
As of a few weeks ago Reaper was OFFICIALLY supported by Waves.

http://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts

Whoever said never pay full price for Waves (in regards to Saphira price comparison with Fabfilter)... you were exactly right!

MogwaiBoy wrote:Whoever said never pay full price for Waves (in regards to Saphira price comparison with Fabfilter)... you were exactly right!

I really don't know what's up with Waves pricing model and why they don't permanently sell things at sale prices, since that's when the majority will buy anyway...

But to be honest, I can pretty much make the same argument for Plugin Alliance or IK Multimedia or Native Instruments, or pretty much any other developer really. I think the main difference with Waves however, is that they have such a large collection and that's because they tend to write something new rather than update the existing too much.

On one hand that makes the legacy tech we use more reliable, on the other hand it can cause just a bit of frustration as it drives our plugin count higher.

Either way, however these companies choose to sell their products, I still get to pick up the stuff I need for a good price...

...and unfortunately the stuff I probably don't need, but really, really want!! Haha!! :lol:

Saphira is nice, very subtle but nice. It's now a standard on my master buss.

I view Waves pricing as a bit of a laugh, usually. Some of the RRP's are off the charts, especially for plugins decades old - luckily they have frequent sales. If you're patient you can get whatever you want for $49 or even $29. They also have great Xmas giveaways and despite being an anit-WUP'er I can see how it can be beneficial for bundle owners. Another general rule with Waves plugins is.. research bundles!

Anyway, Saphira at the current price of under $50 is very good value.

Return to “Effects”