Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

I own Heartbeat, can't wait to use it with the sequencer.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

It seems like a no-brainer for Heartbeat users. These two together would be the most full-featured and flexible drum machine softsynths in existence, no?

Uncle E wrote:It seems like a no-brainer for Heartbeat users. These two together would be the most full-featured and flexible drum machine softsynths in existence, no?
Absolutely. If I didn't already have Heartbeat, I would have to think twice before getting this. But the drum modules plus the other included tools is a pretty great starting point, even if I never buy into the rest of the system.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

What kind of modulation options are there on each Heartbeat module? From looking at pictures, it seems its just on the decay.

I already own Heartbeat, but not really motivated by a software sequencer as Push 2 works nicely as a step sequencer. Depending on routing options and modulation options, along with what can or can't be sequenced I might bite.

elxsound wrote:What kind of modulation options are there on each Heartbeat module? From looking at pictures, it seems its just on the decay.

I already own Heartbeat, but not really motivated by a software sequencer as Push 2 works nicely as a step sequencer. Depending on routing options and modulation options, along with what can or can't be sequenced I might bite.
I guess it depends on the module. Perc only shows decay and pitch cv, but the bd module also has attack cv. What is more interesting with drum modules is the kind of procedural triggering logic you can devise in a modular system, of course in conjunction with additional audio signal processing modules.

ontol wrote:ol' waggy.

:lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

For those who are getting Modular, is it worth picking up Heartbeat at NI during their half-off sale for $99.50?

Heartbeat seems quite capable, but I haven't demoed it yet (if there is a demo, I need to look on Softube's site).

How does Heartbeat stack up against other drum synths? I've only used samples in the past.

Still on the fence about Modular. I recently picked up the Reaktor 6 upgrade, and I'm not trying to emulate any particular HW.
Blue Phase Music

deastman wrote:
elxsound wrote:What kind of modulation options are there on each Heartbeat module? From looking at pictures, it seems its just on the decay.

I guess it depends on the module. Perc only shows decay and pitch cv, but the bd module also has attack cv. What is more interesting with drum modules is the kind of procedural triggering logic you can devise in a modular system, of course in conjunction with additional audio signal processing modules.
But then theres already alot of software out there that does that
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Blue Phase Music wrote:For those who are getting Modular, is it worth picking up Heartbeat at NI during their half-off sale for $99.50?

How does Heartbeat stack up against other drum synths? I've only used samples in the past.

Still on the fence about Modular. I recently picked up the Reaktor 6 upgrade, and I'm not trying to emulate any particular HW.
I don't know about Reaktor, which supposed to have a decent drum synth as well. But Heartbeat is capable of sounding big. I especially like the kick module. The presets could be better, it's more into making your own personalized stuff. But Spark 2 with the modular engine is no less capable and the built-in effect and dynamic processor are also surprisingly good, forget the presets. I think the real value of Heartbeat is for someone who wants to use the drum module in the Softube Modular and like the simplified mixing environment, especially if he likes the sound of Heartbeat as a whole and enjoy the type of workflow. Even though it can be used as a multi outputs drum as well. I love the saturation but an additional decimator would add a more vintage character.

The drum is more into a modernized TR sound, if you are searching for a more modern and out of the box type of sound, Reaktor is a better choice. But compared to samples, it has a good modelling modjo. The unique feature is the auto layer which really adds more value. I'm using Spark 2, Stix and BreakTweaker with their internal sequencer and using Ableton Live to sequence Heartbeat and Groove Agent. I'm using Heartbeat when the minimalist mood strikes, with enough confidence. And a modular style drum sequencing is what I'm after. For me the discounted price is a no brainer.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Uncle E wrote:It seems like a no-brainer for Heartbeat users. These two together would be the most full-featured and flexible drum machine softsynths in existence, no?
Am I missing something? I wasn't aware the softube modular sequencer was that advanced (in regard to driving a drum module). Isn't the sequencer in stix or punch or tremor more flexible? Like having banks of patterns you can switch in one device? Or can the modular one that as well?

crystalmsc wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:For those who are getting Modular, is it worth picking up Heartbeat at NI during their half-off sale for $99.50?

I don't know about Reaktor, which supposed to have a decent drum synth as well. But Heartbeat is capable of sounding big. I especially like the kick module. The presets could be better, it's more into making yout own personalized stuff. But Spark 2 with the modular engine is no less capable and the built-in effect and dynamic processor are also surprisingly good, forget the presets. I think the real value of Heartbeat for someone who want to use the drum module in the Softube Modular and like a simplified mixing environment, especially if he likes the sound of Heartbeat as a whole and enjoy the workflow. Even though it can be used as a multi outputs drum as well. I love saturation but an additional decimator would add a more vintage character.

The drum is more into a modernized TR sound, if you are searching a more modern and out of the box type of sound, Reaktor is a better choice. But compared to samples, it has a good modelling modjo. The unique feature is the auto layer which really adds more value. I'm using Spark 2, Stix and BreakTweaker with their internal sequencer and using Ableton Live to sequence Heartbeat and Groove Agent. I'm using Heartbeat when the minimalist mood strikes, with enough confidence. And a modular style drum sequencing is what I'm after. For me the discounted price is a no brainer.
Thank you, this was exactly what I was hoping to hear from someone.

I'm still waffling on ST Modular, but if I decide if I'll purchase it by the 9th, I'll know to get Heartbeat, as well.

P.S. I've downloaded and installed the demo of Heartbeat, so I'll know more soon. :)
Blue Phase Music

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
deastman wrote:

But then theres already alot of software out there that does that
Yeah, not exactly the no-brainer decision I was hoping for... But still pretty nice.

I really like Heartbeat, but owning it doesn't push me over to buying Modular. I might have to wait for Modular to be released first and I'm crossing my fingers that there will be a proper demo.

Personally, I think Heartbeat sounds darn good, and has become my go-to drum plugin for most purposes. So I'm happy to have another way of using it. There are lots of tools for experimental sequencing, but that doesn't make this particular one any less interesting. Consider that something as simple as two free running pulse wave lfos into a logic gate can make a very random, glitchy drum trigger sequencer. Now what if you had more or less unlimited instances of those simple modules?

Heartbeat seems quite capable, but I haven't demoed it yet (if there is a demo, I need to look on Softube's site).

So far I've not heard anything from Softube Modular that seems better than Reaktor 6. Heartbeat is good, but I didn't think it was worth the original asking price. For $99 though, if you need a drum synth, that is a good deal. If you have other good drum synths or like your samples... I'm not sure it'll really get you that much you don't already have. It is easy and fun to patch together drum sounds in Reaktor's block system and there are many cool pre-made Reaktor ensembles that do interesting drum sounds and cool sequencers as well.

The thing I don't like about Softube's modular is highlighted in your post. You're already thinking of buying the next module that a while ago you didn't even think you needed. So the basic modular set up and the Heartbeat modules are already the same cost as Reaktor 6. When you look at what is in Reaktor 6, not even counting user library freebies, it's just a much better value. The reason I avoid Eurorack mania is just this kind of thing. I know I'd spend all my time planning and swapping modules and saving up for the next cool thing. I think if Softube modules were priced in the $10-15 range I'd be down with it, but it seems like it could get really pricey very quickly... And it's not like I've even fully explored Reaktor yet.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:The thing I don't like about Softube's modular is highlighted in your post. You're already thinking of buying the next module that a while ago you didn't even think you needed.
There is that, but we all have had to learn the same restraint with VST plugins. New things always look shiny.

Return to “Instruments”