Waves InPhase. Discuss.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TIMT wrote: As has already been pointed out there is absolutely nothing unique about this plugin compared to the free and alternative options that have been mentioned in this post.also,there is no traditional "filters" involved here.this is just how they have chose to distinguish between a 90 and 180 degree phase offset.
I never said you couldn't find these tools elsewhere, but $29 is pretty bloody good price for whatever tool you decide to purchase to do the job.

The filters I'm speaking of is the "all-pass" filters. They aren't your traditional eq. If you engage the low band rolloff as you increase the frequency you can actually rotate the phase relationship. This not just a 90 or 180º thing we're talking about. Of course the other settings also mess with the relationship to, but in a less obvious way, which still has its uses.

I say don't decide for other people, print them with the info and allow them to make the choice for themselves.

simon.a.billington wrote:
TIMT wrote: As has already been pointed out there is absolutely nothing unique about this plugin compared to the free and alternative options that have been mentioned in this post.also,there is no traditional "filters" involved here.this is just how they have chose to distinguish between a 90 and 180 degree phase offset.
I never said you couldn't find these tools elsewhere, but $29 is pretty bloody good price for whatever tool you decide to purchase to do the job.

The filters I'm speaking of is the "all-pass" filters. They aren't your traditional eq. If you engage the low band rolloff as you increase the frequency you can actually rotate the phase relationship. This not just a 90 or 180º thing we're talking about. Of course the other settings also mess with the relationship to, but in a less obvious way, which still has its uses.

I say don't decide for other people, print them with the info and allow them to make the choice for themselves.

And free is a hell of a lot bloody cheaper than 29 dollhairs

What are you on about "low band rolloff" there's a "bell"filter which represents a 180 degree phase offset and a "shelf"filter which represents a 90 degree phase offset.a better way of representing this would literally just be a 1st and 2nd order allpass filter.there is no low band filter

Also 20 milliseconds is a ridiculous amount of optional delay to correct phase.in most case you'd barely need half of a millisecond.anything greater than that and you aren't correcting phase.you are correcting or altering the timing information

I sincerely hope you aren't a sales rep,cause you don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about
I

No Im not and you are very bloody aggressive.

Shit man just sharing ideas. You're attitude is completely UNCALLED FOR!!

So are you going g to dictate what we should all wear next. Maybe tell us what music we should listen too?!?!

Dude I seriously DO NOT ANSWER TO YOU. Nor do I care about your attitude. Lets keep it professional

simon.a.billington wrote:It's quite a handy tool for aligning drums, to state the obvious, but also multi-mic'd/DI'd instruments.

It's a great convenience to have a tool like this to align things as tightly, or even as loosely as you desire. The featured filters also allow you to rotate your phase a little, or let in some of the original audio that may have some nice phase relationships already going on.

You can't win it all, by aligning some frequencies you're also changing the phase relationship of other frequencies. So it's usually a bit of a compromise, but that's also where the filters come in handy so you can try and get the best out of your phase alignments.

Logic has this unfortunate issue where its seems to be the one time its quite capable plugin delay compensation actually gets in the way....

The common way of using InPhase is to choose a trash that will be your reference, usually overheads, and then align the other elements to that. So you would route this reference signal via the side chain into InPhase where you would then align the signals. The trouble is with Logic's PDC is the visual waveform graph appears roughly 20ms out. So the only way to align it that way is by ear!! Which is not a bad option, but may slow things down a little.

I contacted Waves around this, but the guy I spoke to said it was a Logic limitation, which I'm inclined to believe. They also said they didn't have a workaround.

Hopefully with the new AU3 spec they might be able to find a way around it eventually. But until then I came up with a work around myself!! Making InPhase still quite a viable tool to be using in Logic.

If anyone is working in Logic and would like to know the "trick" to working with InPhase, let me know and I will post it. It's actually reasonably simple to apply.
logic's visual pdc has been fixed now as of 10.2.1 and up.

Finally, i know, but everything is visibly in time. The only remaining problem whatsoever with logic's pdc is automation, but that's not related to this topic at all.

BTW i'd say skip this plugin and get mautoalign which is much more comprehensive and has an automatic mode that works.

TheoM wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:It's quite a handy tool for aligning drums, to state the obvious, but also multi-mic'd/DI'd instruments.

It's a great convenience to have a tool like this to align things as tightly, or even as loosely as you desire. The featured filters also allow you to rotate your phase a little, or let in some of the original audio that may have some nice phase relationships already going on.

You can't win it all, by aligning some frequencies you're also changing the phase relationship of other frequencies. So it's usually a bit of a compromise, but that's also where the filters come in handy so you can try and get the best out of your phase alignments.

Logic has this unfortunate issue where its seems to be the one time its quite capable plugin delay compensation actually gets in the way....

The common way of using InPhase is to choose a trash that will be your reference, usually overheads, and then align the other elements to that. So you would route this reference signal via the side chain into InPhase where you would then align the signals. The trouble is with Logic's PDC is the visual waveform graph appears roughly 20ms out. So the only way to align it that way is by ear!! Which is not a bad option, but may slow things down a little.

I contacted Waves around this, but the guy I spoke to said it was a Logic limitation, which I'm inclined to believe. They also said they didn't have a workaround.

Hopefully with the new AU3 spec they might be able to find a way around it eventually. But until then I came up with a work around myself!! Making InPhase still quite a viable tool to be using in Logic.

If anyone is working in Logic and would like to know the "trick" to working with InPhase, let me know and I will post it. It's actually reasonably simple to apply.
logic's visual pdc has been fixed now as of 10.2.1 and up.

Finally, i know, but everything is visibly in time. The only remaining problem whatsoever with logic's pdc is automation, but that's not related to this topic at all.
Hang on, I was using it quite recently and I'm on 10.2.2. It was still 20ms out.

My guess it's related to of the 20ms limit InPhase allows for alignment correction, so it compensates the audio correctly. However, I don't seem to have experienced a fix in the visual display recently...

Do you have any more info??

AutoAlign does look to e a great tool also. There are a few vids on YouTube with a couple of engineers giving it a good play.

I don't know whether anyone has experienced any issues with it, but the sound it pulls seems to be nice, tight and punchy. But then, I guess that depends on the quality of your source files.

well then there is something wrong with in phase maybe not reporting it's latency correctly to logic?

I know for a fact tat logic is 100% visually in time now even with drastic latency inducing plugins all over a project.

TheoM wrote:well then there is something wrong with in phase maybe not reporting it's latency correctly to logic?

I know for a fact tat logic is 100% visually in time now even with drastic latency inducing plugins all over a project.
Hey do you have a reference for me too link to, I might forward it to Waves...

simon.a.billington wrote:
TheoM wrote:well then there is something wrong with in phase maybe not reporting it's latency correctly to logic?

Hey do you have a reference for me too link to, I might forward it to Waves...
I can only let you test it this way.. add some effects with crazy latency on busses.. logic used to be audible in time but out visually.. now it pre counts the exact latency before playback and everything stays in time. try it with ad limiters with the 200ms look ahead option or say an AU linear phase EQ (incl the waves).. it all works.

I don't know what i could link to other than someone at gearslutz alerting ME to this and then me confirming it with my own tests :shrug:

do you want the link to the gearslutz topic?

I'll give it a go.

There is as a moment I thought Logic was in sync visually a while back. Then I had my more recent issues.

I tried all sorts of things including getting rid of any latency reducing plugins, turnin on the Low latency mode and also getting rid of sends and outputting the tracks straight to the Stereo Out... All to try and troubleshoot it.

I also did a new project with just a small number or tracks with only inPhase inserted. I still had the 20ms out issue.

Visually and audibly I can tell that this wasn't literally the case with the files.

In hindsight, the only thing I didn't do is restart Logic or the Mac because it may have just been a glitch which never occured to me.

So I'll give it another go when I find a moment in the next week or two, see if it was in fact a glitch.

whew... this one picked up a lil steam... any who... I use it all the time in Hip-Hop production. Mainly on the Kicks and then the baseline. Usually works well for me. Lately I've been turning off the visual feedback after I get the initial alignment going. Simple. Effective. I then Audio Suite the audio that needed to be aligned, disable the plug and continue about my day. I paid more than $29 for it. No regrets.
DJ brimLo

DJ | Artist | Producer

Return to “Effects”