Klanghelm SDRR - flexible saturation plugin released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SDRR

Please make this lovley plugin M/S!

jpga wrote:Please make this lovley plugin M/S!
Which one, SDRR or VUMT?

And why M/S for SDRR? Doesn't host XYZ come with a M/S plugin decoder/encoder these days to do this yourself? Does everything have to be M/S? What is the benefit of M/S with saturation tools?

Sorry - I don't get this. Just as I don't get why every compressor these days needs a mix dial. Is this due to mass media indoctrinating aspiring musicians/engineers into thinking "this/that is important" if in reality it's just a gimmick? Have we forgotten how to pull this off through other means? Do we really have that many sound design wizards out there that use this feature up and down?!

What's next? Does every hardware module need this?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

SSDR!

Compyfox wrote:And why M/S for SDRR? Doesn't host XYZ come with a M/S plugin decoder/encoder these days to do this yourself? Does everything have to be M/S?
I agree, would much rather have M/S functionality in the host or through a dedicated plugin then process whatever you need with simpler tools.

jpga wrote:SSDR!
Still doesn't make sense to process the mids and the sides differently... unless we talk "summed tracks". But isn't SDRR supposed to be used in doses throughout the project? Also: crosstalk and phase issues.

I just don't get the M/S and Mix Dial madness recently.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Agree it doesn't need it, but to play devil's advocate for a minute, adding subtle harmonic saturation to the Difference signal can very much bring things alive, on certain tracks and sources. :)

Would still use it on groups only - not a full mixdown

Compyfox wrote:Would still use it on groups only - not a full mixdown
So then... that means you'd use it. What is your issue again?

If Tony sees value in it, he will add it, if he doesn't, he won't, he is a very pragmatic developer, and to be perfectly fair, up to now has pretty much nailed it in terms of features vs cost.
All suggestions are good.
Duh

Robert Randolph wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Would still use it on groups only - not a full mixdown
So then... that means you'd use it. What is your issue again?
It still doesn't make sense to push M/S into a tool that is clearly made for Mono or Stereo usage.
Have fun with crosstalk in a M/S circuit.

Compyfox wrote: Have fun with crosstalk in a M/S circuit.
Yeah. Why would anyone want distortion from a distortion plugin? Especially the kind of distortion people pay for in mixing-desk emulation plugins.

Yo dawg, I heard you like distortion... :hihi:

Compyfox wrote:Just as I don't get why every compressor these days needs a mix dial.
Because it's very handy? Because it means you don't have to fiddle around with parallel compression routing?
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Just as I don't get why every compressor these days needs a mix dial.
Because it's very handy? Because it means you don't have to fiddle around with parallel compression routing?
And if any latency is introduced by the plugin, the direct signal path can compensate for this within the plugin.

Couldn't do without the Wet/Dry on my hardware Chandler Germ Comps. Why WOULDN'T you want that extra control that opens up a whole new world of compression?

Return to “Effects”