USB 3 soundcard is here-Presonus Studio 192

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.presonus.com/products/studio ... interfaces

Real nice for anyone rocking 3, but pricey

bump in the afternoon

imo this is newsworthy

They are by no means the first to bring a USB 3 interface to the market.

Which others are ace?
How does USB3 latency perform comparative to 2?
Thanks for letting me know

nix808 wrote:Which others are ace?
How does USB3 latency perform comparative to 2?
Thanks for letting me know
Howdy, you may want to look at GS and SOS to find some answers:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... ns-10.html
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar16/a ... io-192.htm

Doesn`t look that good to my findings.
Hope it helps, cheers.
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Nope doesn't look good . They are coming out with a 192 mobile unit soon meh meh meh ..... I may purchase a RME 9632 and the XLR breakout cable for my desktop next . USB3 aint no better than USB2 except for powering your device for phantom power . I'll wait a year or 2 or more for a better mobile interface when USB-C/Thunderbolt3 is PC . Or just get a Macbook and Thunderbolt3 audio interface if I get the laptop itch .

I read the SOS article- thank u!, Omkar
The round trip is 460 samples,
and no MIDI ports.
Not an ultimate lean,mean realtime playing rig

I have a busted Firestudio project that(when fixed) I might couple to Mac laptop thunderbolt,
and I will have a fine connector infrastructure yet.

Thanks for the input peeps

The isn't really anything inherently special with USB 3 that is going to make it stunning latency wise. You've got a shed load more bandwidth to play with, but when USB 2 can already handle more tracks than 99% of interfaces on the market, it doesn't really offer anything new.

Yes, some speed gains can be gained out of USB 3 thanks to changes in handshaking and signaling, but it's single digits if not a fraction of a single digit.

I'm not going to comment on the Presonus as I've not tested one, but I believe the's plenty online about it at the moment. The Zoom UAC 2 has some of the best latency scores out of any modern USB interfaces (short of going RME at 5 times the price) and whilst punted as a USB 3 interface, it gets within 5% of the performance over USB 2 as well.

In fact the only interface out there that truly takes advantage of USB 3 is the RME MADIface XT and that's only because it offers 196 in and 198 out for the channel count!

actually i was looking for latency in other interfaces and studio 192 is around same time but when you use in studio one get more latency

Here i left some chart with different latency i found from different pages with different interfaces and daw

Logic
Audient Id22
64 Samples RTL 7,2 ms
512 samples RTL 27,5 ms

APOGEE Duet
64 Samples RTL 5,8 ms

Ableton
Studio 192

64 samples in 3,72 ms output 3,40 ms rtl 7,21
512 samples in 13,8 ms output 13,7 ms rtl 27,5

Audient Id22

512 samples in 13,9 ms output 13,7 ms rtl 27,5

Scarlett 2i4

512 samples in 13,9 ms output 13,7 ms rtl 27,5

Studio one
UA APOLLO

64 samples in 9,52 ms output 2,09 ms

STUDIO 192

64 samples in 5,17 ms output 3,74 ms

RME Fireface USB

512 samples in 11,25 ms output 11,60 ms

64 samples in 1,92 ms output 2,27 ms

so it means studio 192 is not such bad?
even the Audient id 22 which have good review has same RTL that 192

the problem is in studio one? which add some extra samples on input and output latency, why add that samples?

with my fast track pro in logic at 512 samples i got 26 ms RTL and in studio one i got at 512 samples 35,83 ms on RTL

what you you think guys?

I think from memory that the Audient and Presonus units use the same controller (from what I recall anyhow), so it's not surprising they score similar. The selling point with the Audient is the preamps and headphone amp are pretty much best in class at those price point. If you want good units with low RTL then you look at something like the RME/MOTU/Lynx/Zoom units, as you see above with the RME results you posted.

It's not simply about the RTL however, but how many tracks it can do at that RTL result, any interface can do 3.0 RTL if the drivers are written to push it, but the difference is if it can do 30 plugs ins are 300 at that trip time.

The are plenty of interfaces at the budget end that can do one or the other (great RTL or great signal path) well, but otherwise compromises might have to be made. To find one that can do both great however your looking towards the upper mid-range or even high-end units.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”