iZotope DDLY presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wh... What? Most delay plugins don't have preset managers. It's the same number of clicks to save an fxb from your host. And izotope is clearly going for a retro vibe.

Please don't get worked up about a free plugin.

I think it's supposed to be like old skool patch sheets. In the olden days, before paper was invented, people used to have to carve their synth and guitar fx settings into rocks, so they could remember them. It was an innocent and fun time to be a musician.

BTW The GUI looks crap imho.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

nineofkings wrote:Wh... What? Most delay plugins don't have preset managers. It's the same number of clicks to save an fxb from your host. And izotope is clearly going for a retro vibe.

Please don't get worked up about a free plugin.
Wh...What? :hihi: If you got the main point of this thread, it its pro-iZotope, and about their marketing. And all discussion here works for them. However, I guess its not forbitten, even unpolite, to suggest making this plugin even better.
And BTW, I just counted my delay Vst:s, I got 12 of them, 11 of which with preset library, some of them very impressive. So much about your "most delay plugins don't have (even) preset managers". I wonder which delay plugins you refer to...
The problem with the DAW's preset save is that 1) Not as handy as plugin inbuild, anyway in the case of Live, 2) Sharing presets between different DAW users may be in some cases a problematic.
But bottom line, thumbs up for the iZotope. :tu:

nineofkings wrote:Wh... What? Most delay plugins don't have preset managers. ...
Most of them I use have.

Now that I think of it - all have. 8)

garryknight wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: I even like to GUI although noticed many of the KVR users have mocked it.
Have you tried working with it on a laptop or tablet in bright sunshine? Under those conditions, there practically is no GUI. But, hey, it's free.
What are you doing using a delay during the day anyway? Everyone knows the best time to use a delay is at night. In a dimly lit room with only a warm bottle of water, stale doritos, and a lucky rabbit's foot in the left pocket. All the while, trying to escape from the grim memories of childhood. That being said, I think the GUI could use a little more TLC.

I tested DDLY yesterday and I liked it very much - that's all I can add to this discussion. Oh - and Izotope Vinyl Reedition is also great, especially the warp function!

Ridan wrote:
garryknight wrote:
Harry_HH wrote: I even like to GUI although noticed many of the KVR users have mocked it.
Have you tried working with it on a laptop or tablet in bright sunshine? Under those conditions, there practically is no GUI. But, hey, it's free.
What are you doing using a delay during the day anyway? Everyone knows the best time to use a delay is at night. In a dimly lit room with only a warm bottle of water, stale doritos, and a lucky rabbit's foot in the left pocket. All the while, trying to escape from the grim memories of childhood. That being said, I think the GUI could use a little more TLC.
...and especially if you happen to live in the Rabbit Hole, there's constantly dark, too bright GUI just hurt the eyes. :clown:

Aloysius wrote:I think it's supposed to be like old skool patch sheets. In the olden days, before paper was invented, people used to have to carve their synth and guitar fx settings into rocks, so they could remember them. It was an innocent and fun time to be a musician.

Rocks!? When I was a lad we didn't have rock carving tech and we had to push little twigs into wet clay.

The UI is crap. It falls into one of the worst mistakes you can make as a UI designer: Clever over clarity. Maybe if you ran Olga into it they'd cancel eachother out? I could forgive lack of preset memory if it had a half way decent UI, but... OK, it's free so I'll shut up now. I am having an issue with it though... maybe I downloaded the wrong version. It's asking for an activation code but I have already activated it via iLok...
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Aloysius wrote:I think it's supposed to be like old skool patch sheets. In the olden days, before paper was invented, people used to have to carve their synth and guitar fx settings into rocks, so they could remember them. It was an innocent and fun time to be a musician.

Rocks!? When I was a lad we didn't have rock carving tech and we had to push little twigs into wet clay.

The UI is crap. It falls into one of the worst mistakes you can make as a UI designer: Clever over clarity. Maybe if you ran Olga into it they'd cancel eachother out? I could forgive lack of preset memory if it had a half way decent UI, but... OK, it's free so I'll shut up now. I am having an issue with it though... maybe I downloaded the wrong version. It's asking for an activation code but I have already activated it via iLok...
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Numanoid wrote:
Daags wrote:this intentional omission of a preset functionality, is contrived - phoney - gimmicky bullshit. host workarounds notwithstanding.
Can't remember that you posted that in the Charlatan thread :P

Most VSTs and VSTi's come with presets, but many of them come without an inbuilt preset manager.

You then just save new patches inside your DAW of choice.
It is dumb though, the problem with relying on hosts to save presets is you can't rely on hosts to always do it well, or in a format that is openable in other hosts. For example if I open the AU version I can only save as a aupreset in say Logic, but that means I can't save in a format that Windows users could also use. The idea of hosts saving presets was fine when there was just VST 2 but now we have several plugin standards, each with their own preset format.

Maybe I've gotten old and stodgy, but there really aren't that many options in this plugin that I think would be suitable across sounds to necessarily warrant preset storage?

I mean...it's easy enough to just open the plug and dial it in for the particular sound - at least that's my take on it. (same w/ Vinyl BTW)

ImNotDedYet wrote:Maybe I've gotten old and stodgy, but there really aren't that many options in this plugin that I think would be suitable across sounds to necessarily warrant preset storage?

I mean...it's easy enough to just open the plug and dial it in for the particular sound - at least that's my take on it. (same w/ Vinyl BTW)
Moreover, it's velocity sensitive, so presets won't translate well to other material anyway.

I think the no-presets thing combined with a hard-to-see GUI is kind of dumb.

If it was a three-knob stompbox or something, sure. But honestly, the only thing that should require tweaking from an existing preset is the dynamic response. Even compressors and limiters have presets FFS.

It also probably needs an input gain knob, and/or the "intensity" control range needs to go a lot farther than it does; it's often just too quiet.

It's not the first time iZotope have removed a popular feature from one of their products. Only difference here is that they skipped the bit where it was there in the first place.

I haven't had time to explore this yet, but it looks like the sort of plugin where i wouldn't use the presets anyway. Nevertheless i might like to save a few patches for myself at some point, i can do that in Live as .fxp but I generally prefer a native system.

Harry_HH
What is new in this marketing concept, is that there a no inbuilt presets

Thats not really new, there is a berlin company that also lets the users make the presets with the betas or free versions and sells them later with the product release.
This is another way how to make money with the work of other people today!

For me its a very bad over all color design at the DDLY, really ugly btw.

Return to “Effects”