Are you ready for Dronar?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You can change the samples in each of the four parts that make up the drone, but you can't actually change the sounds of the samples themselves that much, only the filter really changes the character of the sample sounds.

Isn't this the kind of stuff you already get with Absynth? Or Omnisphere? What's special?

You can change the relative volumes of the fx/lo/hi/mid sounds, change the level of the arp for each individual layer, etc. It is really good if you want to create and control a slowly shifting soundbed that evolves over several minutes.

You might be able to do it in Omnisphere, I don't know, but Dronar is £49. You could possibly do something similar with multiple instances of Absynth, or indeed many other synths, but it would be a lot more more fiddly.

Convenience and price is what it has over those other options.

Nice price, but I am thinking- what will I be doing with all these drones? I have almost full collection of Zero-G and it has been half off on sale almost every week at like $40 per library. I don't know how many drones I can use per one album. If I was making 8 hours long track for a video game, I could use drones when the characters walk around and getting scared/killed/eaten/attacked and so on. But in music release? I am thinking to start putting together some random drum track and drones and see what happens... Cant think of application. I don't know who does all the movie trailers- probably few select people, the most of us do not get movie gigs every day. I have been asked to make a sound design for Carrie play for community theater once. You know- the girl that was picked on at school and who developed supernatural powers. I thought- I will be using all the scary drones and scare the hack out of the audience. Nope. The director did not like any of the sound effects. He picked few the most basic once and left most of the scenes with no background sound. I got to do windows slamming, few doors, rain, sirens... What do you do with all these drones?

Astralv wrote: What do you do with all these drones?
dark ambient.
ImageImageImage

Astralv wrote:Nice price, but I am thinking- what will I be doing with all these drones? I have almost full collection of Zero-G and it has been half off on sale almost every week at like $40 per library. I don't know how many drones I can use per one album.
The question you should really ask yourself is how many EDM patch expansions do you need? :P To me EDM patch expansions are thirteen a dozen.

Drone/Dark Ambient/Ambient/New Age/Ethereal are vast genres, with many artists who could find use in such sounds as Dronar provide.

Take Steve Roach as an example, he makes his sounds from scratch with his big modular rig, but he got 150 album release to his name, so with such output an artist can run out of sound or get bored making them from scratch, and can find new inspiration and use in products like Dronar

I got Dronar on sale for $58 before the sale ended. Found out about it the LAST DAY of the sale was on so I was very busy checking forums (here) and YouTube vids. I really like the product and can see the Dev's / musicians put a lot of thought into it. The interface is great and you don't have to be a synth-rocket-scientist to run it. Nice to have musicians (like us) creating a product for us.
-
My biggest complaint about the software is that when I run it either in standalone or within Studio One 2 the full Kontakt app, 1 instance of Dronar with 1 patch loaded is taking about 27% of my CPU just sitting there and about 1.7 GIGS of memory! That's with nothing else in Studio One and nothing else running on my i5 Intel, Win 10, 12gigs memory.
-
I'm not so sure the Dev's did their best in the programming area to have it suck this much resources from my system. Gawd forbid if anyone runs it with their minimum recommendations.
-
I've got A LOT of synth plug-ins both free and paid and none of them even come close to being this hungry with the computer resources. Having 300 patches is nice and a noble effort on their part for making so many and even categorizing them for the users. Big Thanks!
-
But PLEASE! Get Dronar 1.1 to half of its CPU & memory consumption and you'll have a stellar product on your hands and more people willing to buy the next product you make. (the dev's said they're selling pieces of a big package one by one. Dronar is the first piece.)
-
Other than that, I like the product, am glad I got it on sale and will be very interested in the next one they make. I just wish they'd have a demo of the product. I balk at buying any VST if it has no demo (Heavyocity being one of the exceptions) If they DID have a demo, I'd see the hit my system takes and would've reconsidered the purchase. But for now, I'll deal with, enjoy all it has to offer and look for an i7 with 16gigs of memory.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”