Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, personally - I wanted to offer a track of the genre of compy's choice for the competition. And I would undoubtedly Have the files in the right manner provided.

Should that not be the direction? To provide a guide.. IE How to create tracks for a drag and drop project?

It seems that if this was laid out, it would be simple. I know that I could donate some time to make a guide for fl studio to do this, and host the images etc.. would only be half a page I am sure.

In my humble opinion in regards, to phase / timing - That should be something left to the provider so that there is more interest. It would seem that compy is trying to gear this competition to more individuals (at BOTH and intermediate and expert level) as a whole. I do not know what to feel about that I suppose, but - an easy to mix track does make it fun to f around with
My Music Site: http://www.leattol.com
My Amazing 32 Bit Win EQ: LA bands 15 band EQ

I don't know what you're even talking about?
Why make it more difficult if it's already streamlined and explained in the rules?

You create "individual tracks" or "stereo stems". Starting from Bar 1 to the very last bar of the song (though some hosts cut away "unnecessary space" post the final signal on the particular channel). The tracks need to be provided like you would provide tracks on a 24-track 2" tape machine. This way people can easily load the project and start working. In most cases, there is not even a setup of BPM values needed (assuming that the time stretching engine was turned off inside the host).

Creating "tutorials" for individual hosts is a waste of time, and only confusing. We do not want users to "place" parts somewhere in a project at coordination X/Y.

The projects are accessible for beginners to expert level users. It has always been like that (with one hiccup over 16 challenges). So I really, really don't get where there is a problem or where I implied to overhaul this?

Am I on "MTV Punk'd" or something?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Well, If we're to gear this towards beginners, whatI am saying is that they will not even understand the word stems.. lol.
They'll need some kind of guide to produce us something we can work with.

This is why I still walk EVERYONE through these steps behind the scenes on top of that (I call it service).

And creating "individual WAV tracks" from bar 1 to bar x should be common knowledge these days (see: Youtube, GearSlutz, KVR, various magazine online archives). And if not, go back to the first sentence.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Ok, sounds like you're busy and helpful - I stand corrected :)

Well, I was already searching for Mix Challenge December, since I'm new around here and I wanted to participate :P .

I could also try to submit a Drum n Bass song... :D

Jorgeelalto wrote:Well, I was already searching for Mix Challenge December, since I'm new around here and I wanted to participate :P .
The December challenge will happen in a couple of days, and we have a "holiday type" mix for this purpose as well (still sorting out some odds and ends).

I hope to launch the thread on 13th December (3rd Advent weekend). Welcome aboard!

Jorgeelalto wrote:I could also try to submit a Drum n Bass song... :D
If you have something to present already (something that we/the hosts can listen to), and you want to see it as a possible future challenge, please PM me. Thanks.

Compyfox wrote:
Jorgeelalto wrote:Well, I was already searching for Mix Challenge December, since I'm new around here and I wanted to participate :P .
The December challenge will happen in a couple of days, and we have a "holiday type" mix for this purpose as well (still sorting out some odds and ends).

I hope to launch the thread on 13th December (3rd Advent weekend). Welcome aboard!

Jorgeelalto wrote:I could also try to submit a Drum n Bass song... :D
If you have something to present already (something that we/the hosts can listen to), and you want to see it as a possible future challenge, please PM me. Thanks.
Well, I have nothing now, but I can make something up these holidays so I can send you something before they finish. Thanks! :)

An update on things:

a) the "Holiday Mix" will be (sadly) super late. Sorry about that. I'll try to get that online ASAP.

b) the Rules and Guidelines got a massive overhaul! A lot of paragraphs were drastically removed, while other things (that were unclear) were slightly changed for better understanding.

Before the next challenge starts, please make yourself familiar with the new rules/guidelines set. I hope that most of the criticism was properly addressed, and that everything is now easier to understand, therefore "more fun" for everyone.

Please keep an eye on the MixChallenge Twitter account and the Production Techniques subforum for the "Holiday Mix".

Now that the Rules and Guidelines got an overhaul, I'd like to bump this thread again to get some general feedback.

Like:
- are the guidelines easier to understand now? (read: also less off-putting)?
- what are your thoughts on us starting a Mailing List?

I'd also like to address once more, that if we don't get new material to mix, the future of the challenge is in jeopardy.

I've been contacted by several people in recent weeks. But to be honest - just talking about the fact that we "might get a track in the future" doesn't give us (the host) a certainty that the challenge can continue. No more tracks to access, no more challenges. It's that simple.

At this stage, I can do nothing more than contact people directly. But it would be better if it goes the other way around, put the workload off of us.

So yeah... this thread is for general discussion and feedback. Let us continue were we left off.

A really short update:

The Mix Challenge finally has a new design for Twitter, thanks to fellow KVRian satYatunes. Next time you log into twitter, you won't see "the egg" anymore, but a proper logo.

Furthermore - hopefully starting from MC18 (February), we'll have a Mailing List that will drop at least once a month to inform you of the most important things of the Mix Challenge (like: status of the song pool, special events, new sponsor), but also when the next challenge starts/ends.

This way we hope to reach more people that are not on social media or frequent the KVR boards.

Also: as of this moment, the "song pool" (queue) of the challenge has 2 songs, which will drop to 1 song in queue for the rest of the year. After that, the Mix Challenge is on hold/over. Let's try to always have 6 mixes in queue to keep the challenge running as long as possible!

If you have material that you'd like to see overhauled (it can be recent, it can be a couple of years old, doesn't matter), please get in touch via PM. But you have to have something in your hands - we can't sadly live off of promises.

We're already looking for mixes for the following events/genres:
- Rocktober (October 2016) or Metal November (November 2016) // Rocktober is prefered
- Holiday Mix (December 2016/January 2017)

Feedback welcome on other events like Spring and Summer, or other themed Mix Challenges.

That's it for the time being.
See you in the next challenge! :tu:

I propose a small rule change for the MC series, regarding requirement of both wave and mp3 formats upon contestant entry...

I think a high quality copy should only be requested for the finalists.
What's the point for everyone to upload a high quality version as well "just in case" ...?

I find it a waste of time and energy...

those being said, of course I can upload alternative, higher quality formats on request, my pleasure... but I don't like to be -obligated- to do so prior to need, especially if they won't probably be used anywhere..

no biggie tho, just a thought! :)

I'll forward this, put the feedback into consideration.
Thanks.

However... personally I think providing HQ mixes should be a must at any stage. Lossy encoders can mask things in the mix and we want to still simulate a realistic scenario. A lot of participants use DropBox, SoundCloud, etc... yes... some people are on slow data connections. Still it should be possible to at least provide a FLAC file. This is why we have a 21 day deadline. Enough time for people to participate and clear their upload.

So if we introduce a rule change, then my proposal is to actually go for FLAC or WAV from now on.
This way, the client (and on extended arm, we hosts - should we need to step in) can do proper A/Bing without transcoding anything.

And to be honest... we go to the trouble and provide HQ source files at several GBs even. We can kindly ask for a 50MB (3min at 44/24) WAV file or a 10MB FLAC file in return.

I just ran into this issue, and I'd love to hear confirmation from mix participants and song providers.

If you're not on SoundCloud, does it force you to sign up or login now to even download mp3's or RAW files?
And if you're a SoundCloud member, does it cause any issues?

Looks like SoundCloud's direction drastically changed since it got bought up (sure was quick!). But if it's now mandatory to be a member on SC to even download tracks to analyze (for the song providers), then we need to discuss possible different solutions. Because I'm on the side of "nobody needs to sign up for anything, to even part of this".

SoundCloud was NEVER mandatory for the challenge. It just happens to be a platform most commonly used as of late. And I don't want users to bend backwards to even join the game.

Feedback would be welcome.
Thanks

EDIT:
We're already looking for mixes for the following events/genres:
- Rocktober (October 2016) or Metal November (November 2016) // Rocktober is prefered
- Holiday Mix (December 2016/January 2017)

Please take a look at the campaign thread as well:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=443876

Compyfox wrote: If you're not on SoundCloud, does it force you to sign up or login now to even download mp3's or RAW files?
It does, but there are third party websites which allow you to download soundcloud tracks.

Return to “Production Techniques”