One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, I can't wait for him to return to the OSC! Another mad man....fantastic tracks!
...and I apologize for being a bit of a smart-ass up there, haha, but I figured that would be one of them good opportunities to pluck that poll. I thought it was very interesting as an aspiring developer, you know. ;)

Considering BeatZille is now reg-ware perhaps that one would be nice... Yet another FM but can be used as a 2 osc subtractive as well.

Xhip and Helm are two other possibilities. Have not checked on the latest versions so don't know about stability though...

Maybe KarmaFX modular synth for OSC? Amazing and unique synth. No free version but has a 30 day free demo version:
http://karmafx.net/?id=1

I wrote a piece specifically for it years ago using just demo mode and was very satisfied. I've been hoping one day it could be a OSC synth and rewrite my piece for OSC.

But with no free version we'd have to use the demo mode, which does provide about 90 excellent included patches and automation of 8 knobs.

But demo mode:
- requires synth restart after 30 minutes.
- has "limited saves"

I'm not sure what "limited saves" means so I wrote author, waiting for reply. I could not save any patch. There is a STORE button that says "saves are not unavailable in demo version".
I tried the File/Save Instrument to .fxp and it crashed the synth.

Without saving, you lose your patch edits when closing the synth, and in 30 minutes! However, what I did was simply automate my edits before my notes played, then I had the sound I wanted after restart. A way to 'save' an edited patch (just the control knobs like ADSR, Filter, etc). A hassle, but it works. If I hear from the author I'll ask about making it save for our purposes. But I wouldn't count on that.

The modulation routing can get very complex, and easily crash the synth if you route something wacky so I don't even try to make new patches or do any re-routing, as the supplied patches are excellent enough for me.

Synth has a rich unique sound of it's own. And GUI controls are fun to use.

Mike777 wrote:Maybe KarmaFX modular synth for OSC? Amazing and unique synth. No free version but has a 30 day free demo version:
http://karmafx.net/?id=1

I wrote a piece specifically for it years ago using just demo mode and was very satisfied. I've been hoping one day it could be a OSC synth and rewrite my piece for OSC.

But with no free version we'd have to use the demo mode, which does provide about 90 excellent included patches and automation of 8 knobs.

But demo mode:
- requires synth restart after 30 minutes.
- has "limited saves"

I'm not sure what "limited saves" means so I wrote author, waiting for reply. I could not save any patch. There is a STORE button that says "saves are not unavailable in demo version".
I tried the File/Save Instrument to .fxp and it crashed the synth.

Without saving, you lose your patch edits when closing the synth, and in 30 minutes! However, what I did was simply automate my edits before my notes played, then I had the sound I wanted after restart. A way to 'save' an edited patch (just the control knobs like ADSR, Filter, etc). A hassle, but it works. If I hear from the author I'll ask about making it save for our purposes. But I wouldn't count on that.

The modulation routing can get very complex, and easily crash the synth if you route something wacky so I don't even try to make new patches or do any re-routing, as the supplied patches are excellent enough for me.

Synth has a rich unique sound of it's own. And GUI controls are fun to use.
I wouldn't be able to participate because I own the synth outright. There would be no way to run it in demo mode and I'm not installing the demo version just to be able to do an OSC, if that's even possible after having the full version.

Sorry, I don't think this is a good synth for an OSC even though it is one of my favorite modulars.

I have run the demo of Karma before and once used past its 30 days it enforces all the usual "demo" limitations.... There is really so many freeware still left to chose... as for BeatZille, I cant get the beat mag to my country and even the the other post where you have to register to get it free does not seem to work for me... concerning the Max synths. . I think he would be honoured as a thank you for setting his synths free. As far as I can see on his site his sample sets and presets is still for sale so he is not completely out of business. I think he is very generous though and I think a one synth challenge to honour his synths and work would not be an insult as he already has set the synths free...

wagtunes wrote: I wouldn't be able to participate because I own the synth outright. There would be no way to run it in demo mode and I'm not installing the demo version just to be able to do an OSC, if that's even possible after having the full version.

Sorry, I don't think this is a good synth for an OSC even though it is one of my favorite modulars.
Good point. I'll try and contact developer about a one time full version for us. If not, I can maybe use it in a "any synth" OSC.

Mike777 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I wouldn't be able to participate because I own the synth outright. There would be no way to run it in demo mode and I'm not installing the demo version just to be able to do an OSC, if that's even possible after having the full version.

Good point. I'll try and contact developer about a one time full version for us. If not, I can maybe use it in a "any synth" OSC.
If it's a 30-day unrestricted trial, then it should be fair/just fine to use either that or the paid version. If it has some limitations, then not.

Wow!! Just played with the best freeware synth I have tried in the last few years. Absolutely amazing!! The drive and filter are just beautiful and the presets!! This thing sounds like a 100$ synth. Very Modern. Check it out and do the devs a favor by having it in next osc -- they deserve it. Bjporter -- check it out! Others do the same and lets get a consensus :tu: :hyper:
Exotic.jpg
http://www.noizefield.com/jb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Tjgoa wrote:Wow!! Just played with the best freeware synth I have tried in the last few years. Absolutely amazing!! The drive and filter are just beautiful and the presets!! This thing sounds like a 100$ synth. Very Modern. Check it out and do the devs a favor by having it in next osc -- they deserve it. Bjporter -- check it out! Others do the same and lets get a consensus :tu: :hyper:

He's done a few synths and they all sound nice but they're all 32 bit and crash my DAW. So this would be 2 straight OSCs that I'd have to sit out if they pick this one for January.

My 2 cents for whatever they're worth.

Are these SynthMaker sort of things? A nice looking synth, for sure. No Mac version? ;)

Correct, it is synthmaker and I don't see any mac versions :( If your on windows I definetely recommend checking it out to see if its stable and having a play with it to see what I'm talking about!!
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

z.prime wrote:
Mike777 wrote:

If it's a 30-day unrestricted trial, then it should be fair/just fine to use either that or the paid version. If it has some limitations, then not.
well you can make any sound without limitation and fully unrestricted, just can't save any tweaks/edits. Which is a typical demo restriction.

That said, demos cost nothing (which is why the contest uses only freeware, right?) and I often make use of demo synths in my music because it's a free way to use synths. I get the sound I want, bounce it to audio before closing synth. Then I delete synth after trial period.

Maybe these type of demo synths, that offer fully unrestricted operation of the sound, might be considered ok for OSC?

This is not a complaint, just something to consider. Plenty of freeware synths left to try. But I find many of the freeware synths very difficult to use or lacking in pro quality sound/function. I'm done with most after the contest.

Including demos of pro quality synths would:

1. open a world of pro synth sound. Even with the save restriction in demos, I prefer them over most freeware synths
2. allow us to really dig into a pro synth using it's demo <--THIS!

#2 is the main reason.

Mike777 wrote:... just can't save any tweaks/edits. Which is a typical demo restriction. ... Maybe these type of demo synths, that offer fully unrestricted operation of the sound, might be considered ok for OSC? ... I find many of the freeware synths very difficult to use or lacking in pro quality sound/function. ... Including demos of pro quality synths would:
1. open a world of pro synth sound. Even with the save restriction in demos, I prefer them over most freeware synths
2. allow us to really dig into a pro synth using it's demo <--THIS!
#2 is the main reason.
Ah yes, that's a showstopper. Since OSC is in general not allowed to bounce *sounds* to audio, that would pretty well fly in the face of the spirit of OSC. I don't think many people would like the thought of not being able to tweak or effectively rearrange their sounds, either.

Regarding #1, I think this is doable with very many synths albeit harder with some of the freebies. If you really want this with minimal spend, I'd recommend buying the CM mag and using Curve 2 CM and the other included semi-commercial synths. Even with the limitations, these are the best set of synths you could buy for $5 by a long shot. Some of the effects are great, too. Warning: there are some stability issues with some of the plugs (Curve 2, however, is great). I'm also not sure what DAW you use, but some pros use the stock DAW plugins... for example Live's Operator is really excellent. That "pro sound" is a combination of synths + FX + mixing + mastering.

Regarding #2, do you own any commercial synths? Is there a particular reason digging in with a demo appeals to you? (I'm really just curious.) Although this synth looks nice, simply learning some of the ones you have really, really well is a better investment of time.

People,

I would really appreciate if January's synth could be cross-platform again. Yes, there are plenty of nice Win-only synths, but I think this about to be a fair and joyful competition. There are also lot of cross-platform synths. So synthmaker vstis should not be come into selection, really. Not the whole world is Windows.

Thank you.

Tjgoa wrote:Wow!! Just played with the best freeware synth I have tried in the last few years. Absolutely amazing!! The drive and filter are just beautiful and the presets!! This thing sounds like a 100$ synth. Very Modern. Check it out and do the devs a favor by having it in next osc -- they deserve it. Bjporter -- check it out! Others do the same and lets get a consensus :tu: :hyper:

Well, I tested it now for an hour and I cannot agree. It makes a lot of trouble in my Reaper 5, WinXP32 :x
- the filter allways sounds like there is a certain amount of resonance.
- the time characteristic of decay and relayse seems to be linear instead of exp. Terrible and unrealsitic fades
- I allways get clicking noise. Especially when I play polyphonic. No matter how slow the attack is.
- When I use the sustain pedal, I got stolen notes.
- No pitch bending and no modulation wheel
- the Fattener is making no sense. It is a very fast modulation, which only works on every second note you play.

For me this version seems not to be ready for any usage. :uhuhuh:
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

Return to “Instruments”