How do dll files get their name ?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I would be happy if every dev making vst plugs would name the dll file with first their name and the the name of the plug, like for example:

Arturia-SEMV.dll
Arturia-Matrix12V.dll
IKM-SampleTank2.dll
IKM-SonikSynth2.dll
Korg-M1.dll
Korg-MonoPoly.dll

When you get to have several hundred dll files in your vst folder, being able to quickly search for the name of the dev (or alphabetically listing the dll's) instead of searching for each plug makes so much easier to get an overview

Usually the parents give it a name.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Most of the time I can't even remember the name of the plug-in I'm looking for :hihi:

Yeager wrote:Most of the time I can't even remember the name of the plug-in I'm looking for :hihi:
Same here, but I'm more likely to remember the name of the dev, so if that name was in the file name of the dll, it would be easier to search it up

You can search by dev in a few hosts, I know Bitwig and Traktion works, it doesn't need to be in the file name
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Numanoid wrote:
Yeager wrote:Most of the time I can't even remember the name of the plug-in I'm looking for :hihi:
Same here, but I'm more likely to remember the name of the dev, so if that name was in the file name of the dll, it would be easier to search it up
I keep my dll files in sub-folders named after the manufacturer. Makes them easier to find for me.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:You can search by dev in a few hosts, I know Bitwig and Traktion works, it doesn't need to be in the file name
So is there a tag in the dll, that holds that information, comparable to for example the meta data that can be incorporated into a mp3 file ?

thecontrolcentre wrote:I keep my dll files in sub-folders named after the manufacturer. Makes them easier to find for me.
Where possible I prefer to put synthedit plugs in the same folder, as that means there will only be need to make one saw2ktableSM.dat and tri2ktableSM.dat in total.

If I put Synthedit plugs in separate folders, those dat files will be made in each sub-folder too. Depending on how many synthedit plugs one has those duplicates can eat a couple of 100MB HDD space quite easily

Numanoid wrote:I would be happy if every dev making vst plugs would name the dll file with first their name and the the name of the plug ... etc
Some people don't appreciate long file names.

Post is from 2012 but probably still relevant.

Title: New IK Multimedia Plugin Names Too Long

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=368644

Personally, I do the same as thecontrolcentre (see above).
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

As long as I could rename dll files as I wanted to it wouldn't be an issue, but doing that makes some plugs not to function.

reaper has the plugin search feature and can search by "vendor" and name and I think version also.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”