They are here -- iOS AUs -- Ableton Link

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Arturia seems to have a leg up on the new AUs, and I love the iSEM on my iPad too; this article too sheds some light on how exactly such AUs will manifest:

"Good news also for iOS users. iSEM, one of my favorite iOS synth apps and now one of the first fully-compatible apps for Apple’s new Audio Unit Extensions technology.

Apple’s Audio Unit Extensions is a new technology in its latest iOS 9 (one more reason to update your iPad!) and OS X El Capitan operating systems that aims to bring the Audio Units (AU) system-level full plug-in architecture model that was previously only available to third-party developers in OS X, to both OS X and iOS!

According to iSEM development partner Rolf Wöhrmann (featured a few months ago in our iOS 9 related panel), “The main difference is that you can now run iSEM from within an app like GarageBand for iPad in much the same way as you would work with standard Arturia plug-ins when running them in desktop- or laptop-based host applications — integrating the great synth sounds of iSEM into your GarageBand projects without leaving the GarageBand app, in other words. iSEM users can now easily record and multitrack their iSEM- based creations within GarageBand, adding drums, voice, guitar, and other sounds to make more complete musical arrangements. It’s also possible to have multiple instances of iSEM running in GarageBand — at least three or four when using latest-generation iPads, which was impossible with the previous ‘standalone’ version of iSEM.”

New Beatstep Pro firmware, iSEM goes AU | AudioNewsRoom - ANR

Thus you could do the work on your iPad in Garageband, then export to Logic, eradicating the new for the more expensive Cubase iOS product and its MIDI connectivity. Garage Band is like 5 bucks.

From the way it sounds, El Cap & iOS9, though not one in the same (how many times has this been discussed this past month with MS's Surface?), will be interoperable based on the underlying AU architecture, which is one in the same it seems. The main caveat to then including iSEM in your Logic project will be connectivity, similar to MidiMuxx and/or IAA.

The iOS AUs (again, essentially now one in the same as traditional AUs,) seem to close the gap for end-to-end audio production, eradicating the need for IAA, MidiMuxx, or other special iConnectivity Audio Interfaces. It will be cool if the whole thing will run through Bluetooth and/or WIFI, though as many have said elsewhere a cable might still be the best for a professional environment. Perhaps Apple can up the ante on the USB cord, though perhaps a third party could too (though I don't even know if they've patented the lightning contraption.)

Ableton too is jumping on this wagon, having just released Link, further adding to the core iOS / AU Value Prop. You can download Lite with Korg's Gadget and play nicely with Logic: https://www.ableton.com/en/link/

And lastly, these guys really nail the full, albeit potential, Value Proposition:

New Beatstep Pro firmware, iSEM goes AU | AudioNewsRoom - ANR

Michael:
As I mentioned, Audio Unit Extensions is the new technology to keep an eye on. Apple needs to do a little more work on it before it’s ready, but I think it’s a very interesting direction for app-to-app audio, both from a workflow perspective and for robustness and reliability. Watch this space…

Sebastian:
We’re still waiting for Apple’s own system Audio Units on iOS to become compatible with the new Audio Unit Extensions. Until this arrives, many apps will face significant hurdles before their developers can make them compatible. I’m also wondering if users are going to accept (read: pay for) completely new apps that just act as containers for AU Extensions.

Oliver:
It looks like iOS and Apple desktop music are getting closer to each other, which is good. The announcements sounded pretty exciting, like AudioUnits that you can use on iOS AND Desktop. But I have heard that the needed frameworks are not at a final state yet – lots of bugs, that Apple should fix first. So I guess it will take some time before we get some new technologies / apps that make use of these new features.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Correct Link to the referenced article: http://audionewsroom.net/2015/09/ipad-p ... opers.html
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”