Win 10 "deletes" your software if it doesn't like it

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
Frantz wrote:It's true that Win 10 is uninstalling some programs:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... _software/
Pretty sure that that's a aftermath of a faulty upgrade. Why would Windows uninstall any 3rd party software?
A few reasons I can think of. They might have their own version that they charge money for. They might have decided that free 3rd party software is no longer a welcome presence for their business model. Anything really. The fact is they're doing it for whatever reason.

Read further on that reddit link - lots of other 3rd party software being uninstalled after an 'upgrade'.
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

annode wrote:A few questions you might want to ask yourself first;

- So I guess the question is, is there an agenda?
- Is MS taking issue with people that are doing things they maybe shouldn`t be doing?
- If I wanted to gather info wouldn`t I do that through the browser and not the OS?
- Microsoft is a brand of a product. Volkswagen is also a brand of a product. We all know what - VW just did and got caught. Does VW offer the microprocessor firmware code to it`s customers?
- VW did it for it`s own gain. What gain would MS have? I think that answer is obvious.

I`m sure Apple has been approached...assuming there is an approach.
Has Apple proposed anything mysterious recently? Say they have/will, that would open a big can of worms i`d say.
Maybe they only need that population who tend more to use Windows not Macs because Macs may not represent the population they are after.
But wait, they have the Apple population through iPhone, why intrude into the Mac OS?

What if Donald Trump gets elected...we'll all be supremely phucked!
I think there is an agenda. Windows is being streamlined into, basically, an advanced browser - always online - can't function without being online - that will be a portal for enforcing adverts on your desktop. All these changes happen slowly - that's the way to get people to accept it - so I'm guessing it won't be until W11 or 12 where ad's/tiles can't be switched off. Apps like adblock will probably be made illegal somehow. That's my prediction.

Apple already has the world enthralled with its toy phone - just their marketing means that they don't have to put as much thought into getting people to do what they want. Apples already in the club basically.

I also think there is an agenda of some kind. I believe people are being corralled. Who are the hearders?
I won`t install win10...yet. There will be a time when some program I use a lot will no longer update on win7, then I`ll have to make some OS decision.
One thing I do know...the people that support Trump are not the Mac users. :lol: :dog:
( I don`t suspect Trump being involved in any of this.)
so I'm guessing it won't be until W11 or 12 where ad's/tiles can't be switched off.
I believe I read win10 will be called Windows for 10 yrs of support. :shrug:
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

do_androids_dream wrote: They might have decided that free 3rd party software is no longer a welcome presence for their business model.
No, i can't imagine that at all. Windows, like any other OS (well apart from ChromeOS maybe), lives from 3rd party software.

Anyway, that's the last time i will participate in this. This is much hysteric, and assumptive for the most part. Just like 90% of the other "scandalous" stuff written about Windows 10 on the net.

I wouldn't bother so much about it.
Windows changed the upgrade process drastically now you can upgrade directly within the old Internet Explorer 8 (contained in a blank Windows 7 with service pack 1).
Using a old windows 7,Windows automatically fixes the browser compatibility if you visit the Microsoft site the first time
There are a lot of fresh changes under the hood.Since a couple of days there is a even a new Windows 10 .Again a lot of changes inside.

All that in a couple of weeks.

They are working very hard to streamline/modernize the process (es) and also to keep Windows stable.

I think they are doing an incredible good job,.I have never seen a company doing so much changes in such a short timeline.
The only critic from me,they put a lot of pressure on them self and some decisions were made a bit too fast.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

chk071 wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: They might have decided that free 3rd party software is no longer a welcome presence for their business model.
No, i can't imagine that at all. Windows, like any other OS (well apart from ChromeOS maybe), lives from 3rd party software.

Anyway, that's the last time i will participate in this. This is much hysteric, and assumptive for the most part. Just like 90% of the other "scandalous" stuff written about Windows 10 on the net.
What's scandalous is that it's uninstalling multiple apps at will. Did you read the rest of the reddit thread?

What's scandalous is that it's uninstalling multiple apps at will.
Is it possible some programs are not yet updated for system compatibility for win10, thus accounting for the uninstalls ?
I have never done an online system upgrade, so I wouldn`t know.
Last edited by annode on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

do_androids_dream wrote: What's scandalous is that it's uninstalling multiple apps at will. Did you read the rest of the reddit thread?
No. And actually, that would be the last place where i'd be looking for info or facts. Could be wrong, could be right. Windows 10 hasn't uninstalled anything here. That's all i know (and all which matters to me, because i see it with my own eyes).

Yea, after my system was done upgrading I noticed that my CCleaner had been removed (slightly out of date version, but still...)

I also noticed that most of my privacy settings had been reverted.

loungepanda wrote:Yea, after my system was done upgrading I noticed that my CCleaner had been removed (slightly out of date version, but still...)
Got CCleaner here too, no problem. It's the portable version though, so there's no way to uninstall it anyway. Also have other system tools like Hwinfo installed, np there either.
loungepanda wrote: I also noticed that most of my privacy settings had been reverted.
You mean privacy settings you made under your former OS? Would be no wonder if those got reverted, because Windows 10 has a lot of changes in the settings. Again, it didn't do that here on 2 computers under Windows 10.

No, I turned off the data-logging/spying 'features' when I first installed Windows 10, but it changed those settings with this service-pack/update.

The update didn't come here yet, so i can't tell. Just wondering why Microsoft would set up such a comprehensive assistant to set up the privacy settings the first time you boot Windows, just to revert all those settings again on the next major update. Don't get me wrong, not saying that it's not the case, but doesn't make sense really.

chk071 wrote:The update didn't come here yet, so i can't tell. Just wondering why Microsoft would set up such a comprehensive assistant to set up the privacy settings the first time you boot Windows, just to revert all those settings again on the next major update. Don't get me wrong, not saying that it's not the case, but doesn't make sense really.
It does make sense if one of the purposes of the os is data collecting. Most people won't think to check all their settings after an update. The cynic in me tells me it's intentional.

do_androids_dream wrote:
chk071 wrote:The update didn't come here yet, so i can't tell. Just wondering why Microsoft would set up such a comprehensive assistant to set up the privacy settings the first time you boot Windows, just to revert all those settings again on the next major update. Don't get me wrong, not saying that it's not the case, but doesn't make sense really.
It does make sense if one of the purposes of the os is data collecting. Most people won't think to check all their settings after an update. The cynic in me tells me it's intentional.
That's up to you. The big problem here IS the assuming though. I mean, we don't know exactly, do we? In the end, Microsoft is making their money with the customer, so they surely wouldn't want to anger him too much or scare him away, so he uses another OS. That would be kind of contraproductive. The way i understand it, assuming too, Microsoft wants to make money with their services in the future, rather than with selling the OS only. Google and Apple showed that it's very lucrative, and the way to go. Also with personalized ads. I don't have to recap that here in length though, because that's all in their terms of usage, available for everyone. I have my doubts that more than 1% of the users really read those though. I didn't do either, but at least i scanned through them once, to see what is in there. It's basically the same as with Google and others, just that Microsoft felt the need to overwhelm the user with privacy settings, and the terms of usage. I mean, when you boot up your Android phone for the first time, there is by far not so much crap you must confirm, and stuff which sounds horribly intrusive. It rather does that under the hood, without the user even noticing it much. My theory is that that's also why Windows 10 gets such a beating now, and Android does not, or not as much as Windows 10.

To draw the always popular car comparison: If you sell a car to someone, you wouldn't want to make him feel uncomfortable in it, so you'd make sure the seat are fine, the car handles nicely, it smells nicely inside, and the sound systems sounds nicely. :) But of course, you also ask him for his money. After all, that's why you stand and work there all day long, and try to make a living. But i believe the thought of "our data" being so damn valuable for those companies is a bit off, if you're not aware of what they actually do with that data, and why it is so valuable for them.

chk071 wrote:The big problem here IS the assuming though. I mean, we don't know exactly, do we?
Well, you could say that about anything - you just have to go on the info given and come to a conclusion - yes, always the chance one is wrong about it.
chk071 wrote:In the end, Microsoft is making their money with the customer, so they surely wouldn't want to anger him too much or scare him away, so he uses another OS.
MS is a true monopoly though - there is no realistic option for the vast majority of people. It would take a hell of a lot for people to actually put thought into alternatives.
chk071 wrote:That would be kind of contraproductive. The way i understand it, assuming too, Microsoft wants to make money with their services in the future, rather than with selling the OS only.
I reckon all future MS os's will be free because it's just a blip on where they're actually making real money. Making it free will actually generate more money for them because it will beat out most of the competition and ensure that there's an MS presence in almost every household. Why pay for an overpriced Mac when you can have the latest Windows for free on a laptop you just bought for £50 on ebay?
chk071 wrote:I have my doubts that more than 1% of the users really read those though.
I don't know - adverts work on everyone - whether one thinks they don't or not - they get in yer head either way.
chk071 wrote:I didn't do either, but at least i scanned through them once, to see what is in there. It's basically the same as with Google and others, just that Microsoft felt the need to overwhelm the user with privacy settings, and the terms of usage. I mean, when you boot up your Android phone for the first time, there is by far not so much crap you must confirm, and stuff which sounds horribly intrusive. It rather does that under the hood, without the user even noticing it much. My theory is that that's also why Windows 10 gets such a beating now, and Android does not, or not as much as Windows 10.
We almost get into a deeper subject here.. it seems that people treat different physical objects differently even if they're performing the exact same role. As most of us more savvy folks know, a phone is just a mobile miniature pc. It seems that the general public don't think of it like this though. They're quite happy to all but ignore all the privacy stuff on their pocket facebook device - but pay closer attention to it on their pc - a strange world we live in!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”