Nomad Factory Magma

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FWIW the last time i tested magma in LPX it har crashed every few plugins i changed as well as numerous bugs..

but i have yet to try it on this yosemite and retina MBP so will do so, last time i tried it was exactly 10 months back

Give the latest version a try and see what happens. I don't own a Mac so can't help confirm any issues. I did have communications with Bernie a while back in regards to Magma so if I can re-establish that connection I can report any bugs. No guarantee that it will have any better results than submitting support tickets but it can't hurt to try..........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: If I have a similar Windows/DAW combination I'll try to reproduce the issues reported but have not as yet experienced anything like them and I've used Magma pretty extensively including loading third party plugins..........

So you mean if you load in each of two slots an internal Magma effect their bypass-buttons still works for you? Are you sure about that?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Oh, suprise surprise - I just tried in Studio One (32bit) and it doesn't show any of the bugs I experienced in Reaper (both 32&64bit)...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Oh, suprise surprise - I just tried in Studio One (32bit) and it doesn't show any of the bugs I experienced in Reaper (both 32&64bit)...
That's why I asked which DAW. I'll check again in Reaper but that's the DAW I've used Magma the most in since I have a half dozen Guitar Templates that include Magma.

I'm still on Reaper 4.xxx did you update to Reaper 5 yet ? Which version of Windows are you on ?

EDIT:
jens wrote: So you mean if you load in each of two slots an internal Magma effect their bypass-buttons still works for you?
Ok I just checked again and in Reaper 4.78 64 bit and Magma 1.6.0 and the Bypass buttons worked perfectly. However after updating to 1.6.6 the bypass buttons no longer work. Obviously there was a bug introduced somewhere between 1.6.0 and 1.6.6. I will attempt to re-establish contact with Bernie and send him the bug report. I'll let you know if I hear anything back........
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

okay, great - thanks a lot! Since I just purchased it I have the latest version installed...

can you switch presets in 1.6.6 within Reaper?

I'm on Win7 64bit b.t.w.

jens wrote:okay, great - thanks a lot! Since I just purchased it I have the latest version installed.
I've just sent the bug report to the address I had used before so hopefully I will get a response. I also pointed them to this thread and offered to help test and bug hunt the latest version.
jens wrote:can you switch presets in 1.6.6 within Reaper?
I can select one preset but when trying to load another preset it causes Reaper to crash. Magma was never buggy here so something has been introduced somewhere between 1.6.0 and 1.6.6. Multiple Preset Changes work just fine in Sonar X3 so this is obviously a host specific issue.
jens wrote:I'm on Win7 64bit b.t.w.
I'm testing on Win 7 64 bit as well.

Anyway I'll let you know when I hear back from them. Would you be willing to help them with testing as well ? If so I'll let them know.......

Yes, of course - if Bernie looks into fixing this, my available time is his... :-)

Somehow I was assuming these were older bugs that ought be fixed in a 1.6x release - but I am very happy to be wrong on this one.

Most of the modules I checked so far sound great and are extremely useful.

Yes I'm shocked that these bugs got by. Like I said Magma has always been rock solid here over multiple DAWs. I don't know how I missed all the versions between 1.6.0 and 1.6.6 as normally I'm very good at keeping my software up to date. I don't remember seeing any announcements or getting any e-mail notifications about the new versions. I must have just missed them.....

Looking back over the Change Log I saw this:

========================================
MAGMA Release v1.6.2
========================================

- Added effects racks presets menus hierarchy showing the current loaded preset.

I wonder if this might be a clue at least for the preset issue........

Anyway I'm sure that Nomad will fix these issues. I'll let them know you're willing to help as well...... :tu:

Got a response from one of Nomad's developers this morning promising a fix for the issues reported. I let him know Jens has volunteered to help with testing as well. I'll keep you posted. :)

Nice! thanks again! :tu:

LOL nothing's changed on mac..

inserted magma, when to load one of the project presets and it crashed instantly, logic picked it up as a crash on an mpx plugin i think it was called.

Typical nomad years later on a new computer and new OS and new Logic version.

it took 3 seconds to break it.

What I am going to do now is start with a blank slate and not try and load a magma multiple fx insert preset but just load and replace single fx one by one and will see where it crashes.

Magma was just downloaded today, very latest version, magma never previously installed on this machine so as fresh an install as possible.

Ok, doing nothing other than inserting a blank magma, and pressing down arrows on first insert slot to go through the built in fx, i got up to mfx tape hammer when it crashed.

So obviously it simply can't load that effect so will now start with the next effect after that and do the process again.

Let alone testing automation, multiple instances, etc. I don't know why i am bothering as i have had so many emails and sent so many crash reports to Nomad in the past years of plugins i DO own and nothing was ever fixed.

All I can do is pass along your comments. I've sent a link to this thread so maybe it's being monitored. Magma is a joint project so not strictly a Nomad Factory product.

Like I said, earlier versions were rock solid here but I can't speak for Mac versions. Something obviously went wrong in one of the updates. I am confident there will be a fix but we might have to be a little patient. :shrug:

EDIT: Ok I've been testing 1.6.6 further in Sonar and got the "bypass crash" there as well. Kind of embarrassed for MFX/Nomad since they are really kind and generous people and would not knowingly release anything that was not of the highest stability. It's obvious this version was not tested properly. The trouble is with Magma being on sale for the holidays there will be new customers and they will likely have the same experience as Jens. I've still got the stable 1.6.0 .dll here so can roll back but I fear new users will come away with a negative opinion of MFX/Nomad when in fact they are people who have earned and gained a great deal of respect from the community....... :?

Return to “Effects”