Freeware pitch/transpose plugin for Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any good freeware pitching/transposing plugins for Mac? For example an alternative to Waves SoundShifter? The only thing which really does what I want is a free MFL plugin called PitchShifter, but its quality is pretty bad :?

I'd be thankful for any hints!

I don't know of any freeware (sorry) but SoundShifter is on sale for $49 right now, prolly a bit less at JRR Shop, AudioDeluxe, etc.

Good luck :)
Check the re-sellers, don't check the re-sellers. I don't care.

Thanks for the hint. I guess that's already a good price, but what I don't really understand is, why are there no good free pitch shifters? I mean that shouldn't be the hardest effect to create. For example there are hundreds of good free reverbs or delays simply because these effects are pretty easy to create, at least in comparison to huge plugin bundles etc. I'm not saying it's easy, just wondering since I thought there could be something for pitching use cases.

In the meanwhile I found:
-PITCHD, a free delay with pitching option - but as already mentioned, it's a delay
-Audiowish Octave Shifter - didn't try it yet but looks similar to the next one, Apples default AUPitch
-Apple AUPitch - a simple pitch shifter which doesn't sound that great imho. What if with a system update Apple patches or removes this plugin, is there any way to continue using it on your own? I mean it cannot be downloaded somewhere, it just comes with the Core Asio by Apple.

There's also MAutoPitch which is free - https://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins ... MAutoPitch. I have not tried it. (On a side note, there's a thread elsewhere about what Melda installs when you download their products. If you try to keep a clean system you might want to read about it before you download it).

I don't know the answer to your question. Perhaps the ability to manipulate pitch within a DAW (i.e. Elastic Pitch in Pro Tools) has rendered plug in versions less useful?

Thanks again for your hints. But it looks like we're talking about different things.
I am looking for a plugin which pitches/transposes the incoming sound. For example I have a sound from any instrument and I'd like it to be 2 semitones higher. The MAutoPitch is a synonym to AutoTune which does, well autotuning. I guess this is especially for vocals and works as a pitch corrector, not as a transposer.

Just take a look at the Waves SoundShifter for comparison: It has a few settings but most importantly: The pitching knob which just transposes incoming signals up or down. Anyway, I'm still happy for any further hints and suggestions :)

Oh I see what you mean. I do have SoundShifter but don't use it the way you do.

I'm no help at all! :)

freeware (...) Mac
Pick one.

Macs are for people who have more money than they need :ud: If you want to get free stuff, move to Windows.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I'm not a big fan of arguing in forums, comment sections or on social media but to keep it clean let's just say your answer is pretty unhelpful. If you think people with Macs do have the money for all the plugins out there that's fine and your opinion, if I ask for a possible free plugin that should be fine as well and is the actual topic of the thread. Please keep the focus on that topic - thanks.

Does anybody know if the built in AUPitch by Apple is re-installable if it ever should be removed by a system update for example? Because if, or if they just change the plugin without keeping the old one that could destroy a few projects, that's why I'd prefer an external plugin where I can keep an eye on upgrading by myself.

soundbylaura wrote:I do have SoundShifter but don't use it the way you do.
I'm curious: How do you use it? :wink:

soundbylaura wrote:I do have SoundShifter but don't use it the way you do.
I'm curious: How do you use it? :wink:
I use it to draw pitch and/or tempo changes over time. For example, if I have a heartbeat sound effect and I want it to increase in pitch and tempo, SoundShifter is really good for that. I've found it's also better at simple pitch changes than Elastic Pitch is - fewer artifacts.

soundbylaura wrote:I use it to draw pitch and/or tempo changes over time. For example, if I have a heartbeat sound effect and I want it to increase in pitch and tempo, SoundShifter is really good for that. I've found it's also better at simple pitch changes than Elastic Pitch is - fewer artifacts.
Interesting and another use case indeed. Changing the tempo is not important to me, but of course the best thing would be a combination like: changing pitch only vs. changing pitch and the speed.

Still open for any suggestions by the way :)

try google : free shifter plugin au

found audiowish + pitchproof + soundhack ...

kvr will find sure also a few :wink:

refresher wrote:try google : free shifter plugin au

found audiowish + pitchproof + soundhack ...

kvr will find sure also a few :wink:
-Audiowish: Already mentioned by myself, not very intuitive, quality is meh...
-Pitchproof: Exactly what I stated what I am NOT looking for (this is a pitch tuner, like auto tune, not a pitch shifter to just pitch instruments, effects etc. for a specific amount of semitones)
-Soundhack: Not a plugin but a company. As far as I can see they only offer a pitch delay, which is also not what I am looking for, as mentioned as well above.
-KVR: Finds only 3 plugins with the given settings (well, finds more actually but mostly non-related plugins). One is exactly like the Audiowish, just even smaller in its options and settings, one can't be installed at all and then there is Speedster which could do the job but is very old (2004) and risky to use due to compatibility reasons (I'll give it a try anyway).

Thanks for your suggestions anyway, I'll take a closer look at all the Soundhack products (EDIT: No luck, just a pitch delay). Further hints are always welcome :)

Return to “Effects”