Who knows a free! effect (or chain) to mangle human speech, but....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

braj wrote:I need to convincingly emulate female speech from my male voice for animation. Somehow a vocoder probably is too much :-) any subtler tricks?
As far as I know, this is not possible til today, cause of the lack of knowledge of the physics and mathematics of the humen voice.
But when I remember right, there is a very expensive lexicon unit, which comes near.

Get the meldaproduction free bundle. It has a frequency shifter, comb filter, regular filter and auto tuner/ pitch shifter with formant control. Then it has all the standard type effects covered. You should be able to do quite a bit of neat vocal effects with that. The auto tune thing can be used without correction to do pitch and formant shifting. There isn't much in the realm of alien voices you couldn't achieve with this bundle. Rs met pitch shifter is a great tool for wacky vocals. It's a standard granular pitch shifter with controls that can be set to extreme settings. It also has an adaptive grain size mode that does weird unpredictable stuff. Besides that the weirdest effects are gonna be spectral stuff and dtblkfx or whatever the hell its called is the best there is for that stuff in the freeware realm.

Regarding making your voice sound female, it is totally possible. You will have to do some of the work yourself, but you can nudge it the rest of the way with some formant manipulation, eq and maybe a wee bit of pitchshifting.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:Regarding making your voice sound female, it is totally possible. You will have to do some of the work yourself, but you can nudge it the rest of the way with some formant manipulation, eq and maybe a wee bit of pitchshifting.
Yes. Shifting the formant is key. Pitch shifting up a semitone or two will help. But pulling off a convincing performance lies mostly in the voice talent, not in the effects.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

akira wrote:
CinningBao wrote:
the free frequency shifters, used subtly, will get you there, also combinations of lopass filter (set to behave like a wah - more engergy opens up the filter) with a touch of phaser before, will muddle up the sounds.
This sounds promising :) ...could you please name the exact order of this FX-chain?
And all for free! (assuming your host has these tools)

Sure, I had reasonable results with (in Ableton Live)
- FreqShifter set to ringmod, 275Hz
- 8 pole earth phaser: freq/feedback values modulating (with automation) between 200-800hz and 60-80 feedback WITH envelope modulation (play with this: env -100 to +100, and short/long att/rel times - with shorter times the modulation follows the amplitude envelope very closely, and can create interesting sidebands)
- auto filter: band pass, env -80, att 1ms, rel 9ms, my freq is set to around 1kHz, but depending on the signal volume being passed to this device, you will probably need to find the sweet spot. my sweet spot is when the envelope pulls the filter frequency down above mid-hi energy.

More importantly, tweak to your desire! This (very basic chain without pitch modulation) is only a starting point to mangle the syllables.

Rhythmic gating can sound alien/robotic. Listen to the Daft Punk Alive 2009 - Steam Machine. St ee ee ea ea ea mmm!

Ah_Dziz wrote:Get the meldaproduction free bundle. It has a frequency shifter, comb filter, regular filter and auto tuner/ pitch shifter with formant control. Then it has all the standard type effects covered. You should be able to do quite a bit of neat vocal effects with that. The auto tune thing can be used without correction to do pitch and formant shifting. There isn't much in the realm of alien voices you couldn't achieve with this bundle. Rs met pitch shifter is a great tool for wacky vocals. It's a standard granular pitch shifter with controls that can be set to extreme settings. It also has an adaptive grain size mode that does weird unpredictable stuff. Besides that the weirdest effects are gonna be spectral stuff and dtblkfx or whatever the hell its called is the best there is for that stuff in the freeware realm.

Regarding making your voice sound female, it is totally possible. You will have to do some of the work yourself, but you can nudge it the rest of the way with some formant manipulation, eq and maybe a wee bit of pitchshifting.
Kerovee has a convincing female effect
http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/kerovee.html

From the Kerovee KVR review page:
"Without doing anything (the preset) I was impressed, with a little equalization and compression my wife was asking who the chick was I was singing with :) "

@CinningBao
Thanx again!

Can't find the "8 pole earth phaser"...
and which freakshifter you mean?

EDIT:
Deleted due to respecting the OP's allergy against commercial plugins.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

@sampleconstruct
free means not commercial... so why you bug me with your massive advertizing
for a commercial product?

akira wrote:@sampleconstruct
free means not commercial... so why you bug me with your massive advertizing
for a commercial product?
Relax, I only just saw the Free in the thread title and it's not an advertisement as I have nothing to do with the developer. It still fits the topic though.

@sampleconstruct
After over 9000 posts you know exactly what the word "free" in the vst world means.
Instead to insert 4 full pages, you should assume, that the op knows, what he wants!

After over 9000 posts you know exactly what the word "free" in the vst world means.
Instead to insert 4 full pages, you should assume, that the op knows, what he wants!
I deleted my post, you can have your thread back all to yourself and once again, I just didn't read the word free in the thread title.

Doesn't the Akira project have better things to do with their government funding? :wink:

Sampleconstruct wrote:
I deleted my post, you can have your thread back all to yourself and once again, I just didn't read the word free in the thread title.
And let that be a lesson to you: Don't try to help people again. I was going to drop in a few suggestions myself, but like you I didn't notice the 'free' thing. Lucky me to see just in time! One of my suggestions would have been a highly insulting $10.

Return to “Effects”