Monark is seriously impressive.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monark

wagtunes wrote:But as good as Monark is, the MS-20 is scary good. Most accurate filters of any software synth ever made hands down.
Hmmm, I woulnd't quite agree. Diva's MS-20 filters are a LOT closer (and less aliasing) to the real thing than Korg's attempt (which is kinda ironic). Plus you get both revisions of it.

EvilDragon wrote:
wagtunes wrote:But as good as Monark is, the MS-20 is scary good. Most accurate filters of any software synth ever made hands down.
Hmmm, I woulnd't quite agree. Diva's MS-20 filters are a LOT closer (and less aliasing) to the real thing than Korg's attempt (which is kinda ironic). Plus you get both revisions of it.
Well, I've got both and personally I think Korg's are closer to the MS-20 I remember. But then again that was 30 years ago so who knows.

Glyn Darby wrote:
Monark velocity add.png
Hi all this is how I have added velocity to the Amp and Filter cuttoff,setup as per piccie with a couple of controllers controlling depth connected into the `volt` macro and a Midi velocity in (mono selected) connected as well.
Wow awesome work! Iirc you can't share mods can you as it's a commercial synth?
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

EvilDragon wrote: Hmmm, I woulnd't quite agree. Diva's MS-20 filters are a LOT closer (and less aliasing) to the real thing than Korg's attempt (which is kinda ironic). Plus you get both revisions of it.
But the Drop has the closest MS filters ;) Granted it's only a filter plug-in tho. Own hardware MS-10 myself :tu: :hyper:
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

I got the drop recently, those filters are some of the best i've heard itb, i've been using it with monark which expands it's sonic pallet quite a bit.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

electro wrote:Depending on your DAW, you may be able to real-time transform monophonic aftertouch to CC1.
Sure, I can use M4L to do that sort of thing now, but my main question still stands. Why even make me jump though that sort of hoop on something so basic? I'm not asking for something like preset morphing like on Minimonsta, I'm just asking for a basic implementation of standard MIDI functionality.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

EvilDragon wrote:Really? Tuning? Wow, LOL.

Monark is EXTREMELY close to the real deal. You cannot expect 100% parameter matching because voltage differences and knobs cannot reliably be set to exactly the same position between the plugin and the hardware.
Right, but I just listened to it, and even on my cheap-o Motorola wireless headphones it was clear to me which one was the plug in. NI is clearly doing some band limiting (which is a good thing) that makes Monarch sound a tad "duller." But, saying it's a "huge difference," is a "huge exaggeration," in my opinion. It probably sounds closer to a Model D than the Voyager does... but not as good as a Voyager, if that makes sense.

I brought this up in another thread recently, but I basically said that in 2015 if you really want the "analog sound" you should still buy an analog. 10 years ago, there weren't many decent inexpensive analogs on the market (where there any?), but now there are a ton of them below $1000 and some as cheap as $99 for a Volca Bass. Of course I know that none of these are a "Model D," but that's not really my point. The Slim Phattys are being blown out for like $499 now. You could get an ATC-1 for $500ish. Guitar Center's selling used Minibrutes for $300. Unless for some reason you're constrained to working 100% ITB, I don't think there's an excuse to not own an analog synth if you want one.

But Monarch sounds good... and I got it for free. Maybe I'll try modifying it to get it to react to velocity and aftertouch at some point, but as it is I have no use for it, because for me there is more than just tone to an instrument. I value playability more than that.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

You're damn right zerocrossing
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

zerocrossing wrote:Right, but I just listened to it, and even on my cheap-o Motorola wireless headphones it was clear to me which one was the plug in.
Just out of curiosity: which one do you think is which? E.g. on the very first example?

any good VA is seriously impressive if you know what you're doing with it. :roll:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

musikmachine wrote:
Glyn Darby wrote:
Monark velocity add.png
Hi all this is how I have added velocity to the Amp and Filter cuttoff,setup as per piccie with a couple of controllers controlling depth connected into the `volt` macro and a Midi velocity in (mono selected) connected as well.
Wow awesome work! Iirc you can't share mods can you as it's a commercial synth?
Not to sure about the sharing but it an easy mod to do inside the Monark ensemble though.

layzer wrote:any good VA is seriously impressive if you know what you're doing with it. :roll:
The key word being "good". There are a lot of horrible sounding synths out there that can only marginally be saved by saturating them with tons of FX.

But yes, for the most part, a good VA in the right hands can sound amazing. Sadly, a lot of people don't take the time to learn their synth. In the old days, with no presets, that basically amounted to you having a very expensive door stop.

Glyn Darby wrote:Hi all this is how I have added velocity to the Amp and Filter cuttoff,setup as per piccie with a couple of controllers controlling depth connected into the `volt` macro and a Midi velocity in (mono selected) connected as well.
Awesome! Did the changes and now it is even more expressive.

larm wrote:
Glyn Darby wrote:Hi all this is how I have added velocity to the Amp and Filter cuttoff,setup as per piccie with a couple of controllers controlling depth connected into the `volt` macro and a Midi velocity in (mono selected) connected as well.
Awesome! Did the changes and now it is even more expressive.
I'm a bit lost, I can create a midi in and name it Velocity and have added a ctrl macro but what are the three macros after that with the * in them? Also need more on what values to input for them.

Those are not macros, those are math modules (add and mult).

Return to “Instruments”