How a noob like myself can make this minimal bass?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I don't know how to do create sounds.. I just have a lot of presets and tweak them a little.
Is there a preset pack out there with these kinds of basses? Or is there a noob friendly way to explain it to me OR should I not be afraid of learning synthesis myself.. I feel it does hold me back a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ8S8GQ5YEE

http://hiddenforest.podomatic.com/entry ... 0_26-07_00 (http://hiddenforest.podomatic.com/entry/2015-04-28T00_30_26-07_00)

any response is greatly appreciated :ud:

The project of learning synthesis isn't a minor thing, imo. It's a rabbit hole that can lead you away from successfully creating music, where instead you're spending your time tweaking sounds. Potentially. So for some people, it might be better to put it off until later, when you're comfortable and capable with composing and finishing songs, when you don't feel there's anything else holding you back. Maybe you're already at that point, and finished songs(of varying quality) just shoot out of you, I don't know.

In my case, being the technical-oriented, engineer-ish guy who likes gadgets and systems, I opted to learning how to work a synth early, and got sucked in before I could properly compose with what I had. I learned synthesis alright, but I highly suspect it was at the direct detriment to my ability to throw together sounds to form a full song. If you don't think you'll run into this problem, then by all means, start learning synthesis.

If you're not so sure, and there's a chance it might slow you down and inhibit your ability to push projects forward, then it might be better to accept the constraints of presets, and focus on getting good results out of what you have on-hand. Creativity through limitations is a real, functional thing.

As for the first example bass sound, I suspect it's two synths - one is laying in the low frequencies with a sine, while the other synth has the mids and the texture, the main stuff you hear. The latter might be FM synthesis, but I'm not sure. If it is, fuggetaboutit. That's a topic for another day - A day where you're already comfortable with subtractive synthesis.

But it might not be, and you can approach something like it, with a typical subtractive synth. First try running one saw through a lowpass filter. Use an envelope on the filter cutoff so it sounds stabby in the right way - No attack, no sustain, quick decay. Next figure out where the filter cutoff & envelope range ought to be, to taste. I find this to be the most fiddly and frustrating part, usually. There's no good way to describe this step, unfortunately, as it's very subjective, and particular to your synth.

Next add in another saw oscillator, drop it down by one octave, and try out changing it's phase relative to the first oscillator, see what kind of texture difference that yields. Try out some detune or unison on the upper octave saw, or try out some chorus. Try out a little distortion/overdrive, that might help.

That will approach the style of sound, at the least, and will be a useful(and popular) patch.

Return to “Sound Design”