Crazy Stuff: Looking for plugin (VST) that transforms the voice into a filter!!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, this has been spinning in my head for some time now. Maybe there is such a thing?

So I am looking for a VST plugin that:

- takes TWO audio input signals
- signal one (S1) shall be a human voice
- signal two (S2) shall be e.g. a sawtooth synth
- output one audio signal (O1) that gets processed in the following manner:

S1 shall be the "filter former", i.e. that S1 defines how the filter will look like.
S2 will be filtered by S1 so that a change in S1 will result in a change of the filtered output O1.

The human voice is some sort of modulation system which includes several instances of filtering. I can form any vowel naturally my making a-e-i-o-u sounds with my mouth. I want to APPLY these sounds to another synthetic source (sawtooth or any other synth). The human voice filtering shall filter the synthetic sound.

Although it sounds a bit like a vocoder I don't think that it really is one because it shall FILTER and not MODULATE another sound.

Is there anything like this????

Not sure if something like this already exists, but I'm sure it can be mocked up in Reaktor or Bidule (which can load as a VST).

I would imagine it to be a lot like a vocoder; however, the pass band frequencies would be set to those of vocal formants rather than a linear or logarithmic scale.

Would you want the pitch of the voice to affect the pitch of the sawtooth wave as well? I'm sure that is achievable too.

Actually, it just occurred to my that NI's The Mouth does this and more.

masterjoe wrote:Although it sounds a bit like a vocoder I don't think that it really is one because it shall FILTER and not MODULATE another sound.
Vocoders do filter a sound; they're composed of banks of parallel filters modulated by envelope followers.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Ok. I'll have a look at "The Mouth"... sounds interesting so far.

Thanks for your replies :)

Sounds like a talkbox to me.

No_Use wrote:Sounds like a talkbox to me.
+1

I did something similar with MDA plugins
http://mda.smartelectronix.com/
you can try these three
Talkbox - High resolution vocoder
Tracker - Pitch tracking oscillator, or pitch tracking EQ
VocInput - Pitch tracking oscillator for generating vocoder carrier input

I think traditionally they are called vocoders. You can hear them as far back as the 70s. Stevie Wonder has used one on the odd occasion among many.

These days groups like Daft Punk are more known for exploiting these type of sounds.

At least I think you just described a vocoder. Mouth is definitely a very good modern example of one.

It's a vocoder. You've described exactly what a vocoder is.

+1 vocoder
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

This could be done as Vocoder or convolution effect.

Also, check Harmor for weird filter / spectral effects. Don't know if this can be done directly, but may be worth a try.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”