Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

Aryaroman wrote:Does anyone else use the raw analog waveform emulations like OB-X or MiniMoog for their primary synth work? I read somewhere on KVR that no one uses the analog classics/retro synthesizer presets in Omni. I own Omnisphere 1 & 2 and wouldn't want to spend money on the analog-kings like Diva or Arturia's stuff, but I'm really into that vintage and analog Tangerine Dream, Risky Business, etc. sound and I'm worried about the sound coming off as too digital. I mostly only use delay and tape FX on the patches. I've done some tweaking and ended up with some nice arpeggios and saws. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of ear for analog sound.
Sure, the vintage stuff is nice in Omnisphere, but kind of overshadowed by the trilian library if you have that, which is amazing for vintage analog tones. I still love the vintage emulations because you have the full capabilities and signal path like the original, as well as accurate filter emulations. So I still have Diva, Oddity, impOscar, Poly-Ana, TAL-Bassline. Above all else I like the simplicity of controls. You can control the whole thing from a hardware controller with these. But then omni is cool too because you can start with analog type sounds and do much more complex stuff with it. So each is fun in it's own right.

I suppose I'll have to get some of the Arturia stuff. But for now it's good.

So far I haven't seen anyone wonder what was the point of including the old Distorted Reality libraries. Did they run out of content for the Granular feature? I'm not as much complaining, as I'm biased. They ruined my childhood by including the Distorted Reality libraries. I was exploring the patch selection and bumped into a patch that sounded like a loop from a track from one of the old 90s Spyro soundtracks. At first I couldn't believe my ears. I had to check if someone had routed the output from my MIDI controller to Spotify or other streaming service. Looks like the original composer (whose name I'm not gonna say, regardless, you can look for yourself if you google Spyro-trilogy composer) looped the patch into a 2-minute or so, single track. Thanks Spectrasonics for making patches since the 90s, so great you can do a single track out of them.

Just in case Eric reads this thread (which he probably doesn't anymore) - I need to keep saying it: Please give us waveform view of the granular sample (of course with a line displaying the playback position) rather than this fancy meaningless graphic. I'd really like to actually be able to see the peaks in the waveform to get to sections easily.

thanks

Aryaroman wrote:Does anyone else use the raw analog waveform emulations like OB-X or MiniMoog for their primary synth work? I read somewhere on KVR that no one uses the analog classics/retro synthesizer presets in Omni. I own Omnisphere 1 & 2 and wouldn't want to spend money on the analog-kings like Diva or Arturia's stuff, but I'm really into that vintage and analog Tangerine Dream, Risky Business, etc. sound and I'm worried about the sound coming off as too digital.
The original Atmosphere library is good for that sort of thing (that's rather what it was made for).

aMUSEd wrote:
Aryaroman wrote:Does anyone else use the raw analog waveform emulations like OB-X or MiniMoog for their primary synth work? I read somewhere on KVR that no one uses the analog classics/retro synthesizer presets in Omni. I own Omnisphere 1 & 2 and wouldn't want to spend money on the analog-kings like Diva or Arturia's stuff, but I'm really into that vintage and analog Tangerine Dream, Risky Business, etc. sound and I'm worried about the sound coming off as too digital.
The original Atmosphere library is good for that sort of thing (that's rather what it was made for).
True. I find myself always coming back to Atmosphere, when I need effective drones or synth patches. So much infact, that sometimes it feels like Atmosphere is the true highlight of Omnisphere for myself, which is funny because it's less than 2/10 of the package and over ten years old product. Omnisphere has few nice vintage analog patches, like the "It's 1970-1980 Again"-patches, but not so many usable. And apart from the raw waveforms, Omni 2 didn't improve upon that need. Most of the EDM-patches are just 90s techno garbage and dubstep/chainsaw-step/ear-tearers.

The EDM-library has been bandied about already, but really... if they had to make an EDM-library, couldn't they have rather taken inspiration from someone like Eric Prydz, Shapeshifters, or Fehrplay instead of any radio-chart-dominating-whats-his-name-dubstep-artist? Sure, it's EDM just like most of EDM, but at least those guys don't sound like they killed a cat and granular sampled that. Then switched the sample into a saw-synth in Omnisphere and put on the arpeggio at 1/32 speed. At least that's what the music and the EDM-patches sound to me.

Update v2.1.0 is out, installed it and I can't be happier! This is what Omnisphere v2 should have been. :)

The looong wait we've been seeing on the first GUI popup is finally gone! It feels like the v1 days are back.
I also find overall response pretty much improved.

Things are running much more smoothly for me in 2.1. The interface is generally more responsive and patches seem to load faster as well :)
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Voice303 wrote:Things are running much more smoothly for me in 2.1. The interface is generally more responsive and patches seem to load faster as well :)
Yes, I've spent a solid day with it, and I've convinced myself the improved responsiveness isn't my imagination. I like the (tiny) power buttons for the synthesis modes on each layer page too.

Now just a case of sorting those tags out....
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

I didn't notice much a change in performance. Only that few patches like Jet Streams don't have any sound. Well, great.

I read the license agreement when the update was installing. It seems Spectrasonics prohibits samples or loops made using Omni. Another great, I thought about sharing some of my samples and loops made from my custom recordings and multiple VSTis but looks like that's not okay, because some include material from my custom patches made out of the raw waveforms in Omni. Well, guess I'll just share/sell those as Omni-patches.

Otherwise, Omnisphere has improved my workflow and tracks tremendously.

Just checked Jet Streams for you. on my Mac there is sound, will try it on PC as well.
rsp
sound sculptist

Purchase yesterday the last one from Musicstore for incredible 329 Euro
I hope I will receive the ultimate Synth Plugin :p
http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Spec ... 008212-000
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

zvenx wrote:Just checked Jet Streams for you. on my Mac there is sound, will try it on PC as well.
rsp
Don't need to bother, but that's kind. :pray: First no sound comes out, there's no loading bar. Then the UI freezes, until I change the patch. Anyhow, It's probably issue with my RAM and matter of patience.
MillerSam wrote:Purchase yesterday the last one from Musicstore for incredible 329 Euro
I hope I will receive the ultimate Synth Plugin :p
http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Spec ... 008212-000
:clap: Well done and don't worry, You (probably) will. It may at first and even for a while overwhelm You, but You'll find out it's actually a treasure trove in disguise of a software synth. :o
Omnisphere if any, is the ultimate synth if there is one, hands down. If she was a mistress, she would be a demanding and sometimes tiring one, but one that never ceases to amaze you in new ways and it good to have on your side whether it's a lonely night at home or a festive. (read that as sounds good in your track, whether it's wandering ambient or club track. Just remember to use bit of EQ on the busy patches :tu: )

Anyone having issues accessing the reference manual? When I first purchased O2 I was able to access it. Now when I try, (by selecting the link in O2) I go to the login screen and once logged in I'm at the updates/authorization page with no apparent link to the manual...

I asked Spectrasonics and was told to clear my cache, remove cookies, etc...standard stuff. Didn't help...and this using my iPad, laptop and studio machine. :(
Dave

des wrote:Anyone having issues accessing the reference manual? When I first purchased O2 I was able to access it. Now when I try, (by selecting the link in O2) I go to the login screen and once logged in I'm at the updates/authorization page with no apparent link to the manual..
I don't find it in the account page either. (TBH my memory poorly serves and don't recall if I had a link there before.) :)
It's available in the knowledge base section in the Support menu.
An item "Is there a Comprehensive Written Manual for Omnisphere or Trilian?" has a link to the online manual.

However, it looks like the v1. Actually, the local installed manual on my PC still looks like v1... (no info on Sound Match, for instance). Haven't seen the v2 manual yet, if I'm not mistaken.

Okay I found it! The actual O2 Reference guide...at least its there for now.

I logged into my account. Went to the products page for O2. Selected the FAQ . Then I scrolled all the way to the bottom and there was the link...

Really..... :roll:

Is it necessary to make it that difficult to find the reference manual? Why not just provide a link right on the auth/update page? Better yet...INCLUDE IT WITH THE PROGRAM. :x
Last edited by des on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Return to “Instruments”