Opinions on KORG Legacy Collection

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That is a sweet deal if one was in the market for a keyboard.

It's like buy the software bundle for $10 off regular price and we'll throw in a 61 key keyboard free. :tu:

You could likely sell it if it don't suit you. Even if you only got $50 for it you'd be ahead.

IF you needed/wanted ALL the software it is tempting. :D
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:That is a sweet deal if one was in the market for a keyboard.

It's like buy the software bundle for $10 off regular price and we'll throw in a 61 key keyboard free. :tu:

You could likely sell it if it don't suit you. Even if you only got $50 for it you'd be ahead.

IF you needed/wanted ALL the software it is tempting. :D
I've been loving "only" the M1 and Wavestation, haven't checked out the other plugins. I am seriously tempted by the Sweetwater, it's just that I already have an Oxygen 25 and love it.

But it's true, I could sell the keyboard so hmmmmm....
Ha ha suck it!

i love how people keep calling the M1 and WS 90's sounding synths. the presets may be reflective of that time, but they both have a distortion effect and the WS has a vocoder effect that when used with their thick 8 layer performance mnodes in certain ways, they can be downright nasty modern sounding....... IF thats the sound you're after. The people saying that, are people that have read it said by other people that never dug into programming them. knowledge IS power.
Last edited by layzer on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

nm

layzer wrote:i love how people keep calling the M1 and WS 90's sounding synths. the presets may be reflective of that time, but they both have a distortion effect and the WS has a vocoder effect that when used with their thick 8 layer performance mnodes in certain ways, they can be downright nasty modern sounding....... IF thats the sound you're after. The people saying that, are people that have read it said by other people that never dug into programming them. knowledge IS power.
I have noticed how easy it is to get one heck of grimy, nasty, "2013 Dubstep" sound, and there's even a Trance preset that sounds fully capable.

I actually got that early 90s feel with the initial preset, not so much as I explored further.

I think these are both killer synths, no question there.
Ha ha suck it!

Apostate wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:FWIW the last couple of years Korg has offered the full collection for $99 special price at Christmas time.

I've always been tempted but never took the plunge.

Perhaps this will be the year if they offer the special again :tu:

May be worth it to you Apostate to wait and see, if you're not in a hurry.
100!!! Geez, it's about half a year away. I dunno, I'm already half-addicted :)

Sweetwater offers the Legacy plus a keyboard for under 200. I'm not sure about the keyboard..... :scared:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microKEY61
Unless Korg has changed the offer, you can buy any of their Nano products and get the Legacy Collection for $50. The nanoKontrol2 I bought came with a free version of M1 LE AND the offer to get the complete Legacy Collection for $50 after I registered M1 LE.

Your mileage may vary, of course. :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I love the KLC M1 and Wavestation. KLC MI is so much easier to program then my old hardware one. I love the straight stacking with it.

To Wavestation users there is a huge collection of additional WSRAM files here -
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=15723
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:I love the KLC M1 and Wavestation. KLC MI is so much easier to program then my old hardware one. I love the straight stacking with it.

To Wavestation users there is a huge collection of additional WSRAM files here -
great link, mike!

lots of patches for the M1/Legacy M1 right here from the korg forum too:

http://www.korgforums.com/support/m1/M1_sysex.rar

layzer wrote:
tapper mike wrote:I love the KLC M1 and Wavestation. KLC MI is so much easier to program then my old hardware one. I love the straight stacking with it.

great link, mike!

lots of patches for the M1/Legacy M1 right here from the korg forum too:

http://www.korgforums.com/support/m1/M1_sysex.rar
The problem with that M1 sysex link is that they are syx files intended for use with the hardware version of the M1 they are not fxb files that one would use for the software version of the product.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:The problem with that M1 sysex link is that they are syx files intended for use with the hardware version of the M1 they are not fxb files that one would use for the software version of the product.
The Legacy M1 software imports the hardware M1 syx files...

layzer wrote:i love how people keep calling the M1 and WS 90's sounding synths. the presets may be reflective of that time, but they both have a distortion effect and the WS has a vocoder effect that when used with their thick 8 layer performance mnodes in certain ways, they can be downright nasty modern sounding....... IF thats the sound you're after. The people saying that, are people that have read it said by other people that never dug into programming them. knowledge IS power.
:roll: I'm one of the people that has programmed more WS patches than most.

The M1 and Wavestation come from (and in some ways defined) that early 90s era (at least for certain types of contemporary music, not so much the rave stuff that was happening at the time), and there was a kind of synth sound fashion of that time, which was big, thick, chiffy, smothered in reverb, and these are the synths that made that sound, and were associated with it - back in the 90s. The "Korg" sound was quite definable, and different from the "Roland" and "Yamaha" family sound - and these synths have that Korg sound for sure.

That doesn't mean they can *only* do those sounds. If you stay away from those sounds that these synths do well - stay away from some of the more dated presets, stay away from "those" PCM waves, don't drench in effects, and use the improved filters then they are certainly capable of more contemporary stuff - but they certainly will have the Korg sound in some degree. Both the M1 and WS Legacy software shipped with a new commissioned bank of more up-to-date presets, and while many of them don't sound as dated as the overused presets, they still sound like M1's or Wavestations.

However, I have managed to get some lovely stuff you wouldn't have expected out of the WS, and I deeply love mine (both hardware and software)...

Before this thread falls off the radar, I'm another Legacy fan. Have had it for years, have A/B'd the MS-20 plug with a real MS-20 and the Mono/Poly plug with a real Mono/Poly and I'm not going to claim there was no difference, but I'll say I still love the VSTs because what they lack in *exact* replication of the hardware's sound they make up for in ease of use in production, expanded features (like the mod matrices and true polyphony), very low CPU overhead, straightforward programmability... and they sound great, to my ears. And they are *very* close in sound (well, maybe except the MS-20, but the plug is still great in its own right), on some patches I used for comparison they sounded identical to my ears, the main difference being the filters and envelope response and it's true that without some processing the plugs often aren't as "ballsy" out of the box as the hardware. Easily solved with FX, though, in fact I find follwing any of the Legacy analog synths with some nice tube saturation sounds fantastic and can give it punch comparable to hardware.

Eclectic, too, you can do a huge range of styles with this collection. And great synths to learn on, before I bought them a few years ago I was fairly weak on synthesis (mainly a guitarist) but now consider myself competent and learned most of what I know using the Legacy synths.

The M1 and Wavestation I almost never use so I won't comment, only because they usually don't suit me musically, but the weakest link, to me, is the MDE-X. I just don't care for a lot of the FX algos offered, they sound kinda *cheap* or something, though a few are useful, especially the "talking mod" and the delays.

I hate that Korg seems to have abandoned them, though. Don't pay full price for them, make sure to find a deal, because I don't think they'll be actively developed again. Honestly it's surprising they made them at all, really, but I'm glad they did.

Just picked up the full KLC today, and I think that Mono/Poly might join SEM V as my unexpected favorite synths. I had little interest in either, but I'm totally falling in love with what they can do.

DJMaytag wrote:Just picked up the full KLC today, and I think that Mono/Poly might join SEM V as my unexpected favorite synths. I had little interest in either, but I'm totally falling in love with what they can do.
The Mono/Poly and the Polysix are probably quite underrated, both as hardware and software synths. And like you, the SEM V proved more interesting to me than I thought it would. I still lean toward the M1 and Wavestation (simply because of the style of music I seem to create), but I really enjoy exploring the Mono/Poly and Polysix (and SEM V!) whenever I need "that sound" for a project.

Just my 2¢, and mostly just because I hope others discover this collection--especially when it's on sale!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Well, if anyone wants my old account to score the Polysix & MS-20, I'm trying to move it for $25. See the Marketplace for the FS ad. :)

Return to “Instruments”