What's the correlation: Psytrance & Metal

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have long wondered why I'm drawn to these two types of music. Essentially it's all I listen to and all I ever will.

However, metal heads believe electronic music has no soul.

While, psytrance lovers are hippies who think metal is too brutal and we should all be making love to pot plants.

Is it the musicianship perhaps? Or is it the rebelliousness and non-conformity? Is it the song length? Actually perhaps it's the structure which is quite similar.

Anyway I'm off to headbang a tree.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I was into metal before psytrance, it's the rush I guess, I think some metal guys are doing psytrance too as I recall, but maybe we are from different parts of the world, because here psytrance guys are brutal and violent mostly hooligans and metal heads are calm and quiet intellectual types :lol:

This is for me where metal meets psytrance somehow, that's that rush :hihi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSf6MjOVwQ
Last edited by Zexila on Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

^ Cracking track. Love me some Bodom 8)

Actually I think I've just worked it out and it's really very simple.

Both genres experienced their popularity peak in the early to mid 90's.
So anybody who feels the same as me is likely going to be 40, give or take. Meaning its just who I associate with as a demographic.

But then again, I constantly see death metal shirts at Psy festivals. Ok I'm confused again.

Mushy Mushy wrote:^ Cracking track. Love me some Bodom 8)
They do that melodic rush properly for me, on other hand never heard single psytrance track that employed something like that when used el. guitar, just some trash riffs that sound "cheesy" and expected in a way, if you know what I mean, Pantera like, sure, it works, but play solo lead line like that, yeah, one need skills I guess :P
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Mushy Mushy wrote:Actually I think I've just worked it out and it's really very simple.

Both genres experienced their popularity peak in the early to mid 90's.
So anybody who feels the same as me is likely going to be 40, give or take. Meaning its just who I associate with as a demographic.

But then again, I constantly see death metal shirts at Psy festivals. Ok I'm confused again.
In many countries with strong folk scene there's tendency to put everything else in other basket, it's no accident that many folks that listen electronic music and metal was hanging out and even going on each other parties, like reject thing, stick together and so on, don't know how is it these days tho, it seems that raving is "in" and getting hammered like it's nothing, but again, who knows :lol:

Metal heads need to hear the track Papercuts by Getter.

@topic, is it like a 'dichotomy of man' thing?
Im not especially for or against either, but from my pov, everything about each genre is the rejection of everything about the other. :shrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Guess one can find in other what works for him, what get his groove on, like I do with COB, it's that melodic rush, fast, aggressive and angry. :band2:

Sure, there's plenty of both that aren't about it, but again, it's about individual and I know plenty metal guys that hate just about everything electronic but not d'n'b, jungle or breakbeat, why, they are really into drums obviously, some keyboard oriented metal guys are obviously digging electronic way more and so on.

If one observe sub genres in both, there's plenty of similarity, psytrance got something like nu HC, power, black, death, grind, heavy too to some extent and crowd is kinda similar in their respective way of course, there's that dark/black and old school and nu and excessive and all that.

I know for a fact I don't get along with black metal and dark trance lovers which are kinda respective similarities for both, why, don't know, we are on separate planets as far our tastes go, that music is over the top for me, think something similar could be said for some others.

Azax, sure 8) :party:

Mushy Mushy wrote:I have long wondered why I'm drawn to these two types of music. Essentially it's all I listen to and all I ever will.

However, metal heads believe electronic music has no soul.

While, psytrance lovers are hippies who think metal is too brutal and we should all be making love to pot plants.

Is it the musicianship perhaps? Or is it the rebelliousness and non-conformity? Is it the song length? Actually perhaps it's the structure which is quite similar.

Anyway I'm off to headbang a tree.
the thing youre missing is that not all psytrance lovers are hippies.

sure...there are A LOT of those kinds of psytrance people...but theres an entire group of psytrance lovers that are not.

remember...psytrance has a very strong industrial influence. it was the early industrial bands being played on the beaches of goa before there was goa music.

so there are quite a few people who are into psytrance who come from an industrial background (such as myself). and they (me included) are very very much NOT hippie types.

were generally the people who gravitate towards the darker/heavier stuff...go figure.

anyway...theres also quite a bit of crossover between metal and industrial. theres plenty of those industrial bands with the chugga chugga metal guitar riffs in them. those kinds of guitar riffs just so happen to be the exact kinds that seem to be used in psytrance tracks when guitars are in them...coincidence?

i think not.

so there is indeed a thread that connects metal and psytrance.
ImageImageImage

Last edited by lofty on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lofty wrote:Is a common shared sentiment between both overlapping sets of fans, "disco sucks"? Or to phrase it another way, there's not really a lot of dancing done to heavy metal and psytrance is kinda rythmically illiterate?
Not at all, disco maybe suck to some metal heads, but many into electronic dance music appreciate influences, especially italo 8)

There's quite a lot of dancing in psytrance, more lighter (less darker), more of it :wheee:

Mushy Mushy wrote:I have long wondered why I'm drawn to these two types of music. Essentially it's all I listen to and all I ever will.
Are you afraid that you might enjoy something else?

Or that you think that music should only have a cathartic effect? To me that's what they (Psytrance & Metal) share.

Musical styles that have stayed around have done so by being adaptive. The rock of the 50's is not the rock of the 60's or 70's or 80's etc. The same goes for other genre's

If anything your choices in musical listening say that your personality is "multi-dimensional" rather then narrow minded. Which means that you can enjoy other music as well.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I have quite a few friends who were into metal, then started going to raves and listening to psytrance. It was mostly the guys who were into thrash or black metal. The guys I knew who were into hardcore were so straight-edge, they saw any rave music as "drug music".
I think one of the common links between metal fans and psytrance fans is Industrial music. People who had a Skinny Puppy album along side their Morbid Angel and Napalm Death.

I didn't really get into psytrance as much. I dig some Shpongle and Infected Mushroom but most of that stuff isn't my thing. I went more towards experimental electronics and noise. Lots of metal-heads into that kind of stuff too.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”