Mastering Strip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You may not like my answer! There's no such thing as a 'mastering strip' (that phrase is just marketing basically). Futhermore, the problem with those do-it-all wonder plugins is that they encourage people (who perhaps don't know what they're doing) to fiddle too much instead of concentrating on getting the mix right. Work on getting your mix exactly the way you want it and you will only need a limiter to 'master'.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

^ and an EQ. You mix on the best possible system, but listen on lower quality ones. You need to emphasise some frequencies (such a mid bass) to minimize the difference.

A mastering/bus compressor does the same for dynamic range differences in systems. So you might need one of those too.

The limiter is the safety net at the end.

all IMHO, obviously. Any FX used should be clean/linear phase etc., creative FX are only for mixing.

BTW: I'm old (and old school) so treat mixing and mastering as separate processes. I understand that they can be combined and get good results but I prefer not to, unless it's for a demo.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

It sounds to me like you need to improve your mixes.

If you're not okay with a quieter track, but pushing the limiter introduces pumping/distortion, then your problem isn't your tools. I'm thinking your mixes are getting cluttered.

If you're "mastering" your own tracks:
(1) Get your mix right.
(2) Use a good limiter like the free Limiter6 or cheap TB Barricade.

maybe try something like terry west's mhorse?

i have to admit to currently basically being on a 'tb_fix->tb_bus_compressor->barricade->span' kick. but i've thought of things like mhorse and how they might be. i liked that limiter6 but it seemed a bit heavy on cpu here.

oh, and if your recordings are 'quiet', that's could be a 'good thing'. maybe try the pleasurize music ttdr offline reader to get an idea of where you're at: http://pleasurizemusic.com/

if your recording sounds good, let the listener turn it up. or, just blast away like most everyone else seems to be doing. ymmv

Xiangqi wrote:maybe try something like terry west's mhorse?

i have to admit to currently basically being on a 'tb_fix->tb_bus_compressor->barricade->span' kick. but i've thought of things like mhorse and how they might be. i liked that limiter6 but it seemed a bit heavy on cpu here.

oh, and if your recordings are 'quiet', that's could be a 'good thing'. maybe try the pleasurize music ttdr offline reader to get an idea of where you're at: http://pleasurizemusic.com/

if your recording sounds good, let the listener turn it up. or, just blast away like most everyone else seems to be doing. ymmv
I like this response :) You also gave me a really positive response on my thread in the cafe - I really appreciate how helpful you are!
Yeah, it's hard not to concern myself with volume when I am listening to my music in my car and it goes from 5 volume notches for good listening for Song A to 8 volume notches for my song. But, I suppose you're right. If I can't get it louder, it's not a big deal.

What I did learn from using Ozone, other than it being an obnoxious CPU hog, is that where my mixes aren't shining well at all is the stereo field. Through some very minor adjustments using Imager and some mid/side compressors it made a dramatic impact on the clarity and the perceived size of the mix. I wonder if I should start a new topic asking about stereo tools, or if anyone who has been keeping up with this thread will just share with me.

^try DDMF StereoeretS for stereo work. However, I usually work in M/S for a lot of mixing (sometimes using Voxengo's MSED and SPAN). I then switch to stereo,using StereoeretS to check the balance.

Also, as a mastering strip, try Sknote Q976 with DDMF LP10. They are good and reasonably light on CPU but need a ISP/brickwall limiter (usually combined with dither) after them.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

ReaEQ or Kuassa EVE-AT 1 (really just to control anything below 30Hz and maybe a little dip or shelf if needed)

Stillwell Major Tom or PSP Old Timer ME

Boz Labs Mongoose to control stereo image in lows and highs.

Stillwell Event Horizon in clip mode

Voxengo Elephant in Max mode.

Return to “Effects”