One Synth Challenge #77: Charlatan (Taron wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote:I can't get plyphony! when I hit the POLY button it just goes silent.... Grr.
That happened to me once. I just restarted the daw to fix it.

bjporter wrote:
gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote:I can't get plyphony! when I hit the POLY button it just goes silent.... Grr.
That happened to me once. I just restarted the daw to fix it.
Happens to me on a lot of presets, sometimes no signal what so ever, other times a DC signal that won't go away. Definately something fishy going on.

Happens to me on a lot of presets, sometimes no signal what so ever, other times a DC signal that won't go away. Definately something fishy going on.
On many sounds the decay slider of the AMP ENV is down. :idea:
Pulling the slider up can fix it.

satYatunes wrote:
mcaitch wrote:To participate in OSC76, I was forced to switch to Win7/Bootcamp and Cubase AI 7 which came for free with my USB audio interface :x There were just enough instrument tracks for my OSC76 guitar track, however, for other songs I would need more of them. Renoise looks like an interesting "DAW" for OSC :) Maybe I will try it out one day...
Try tracktion 4. It's free with unlimited tracks, plugins, etc.
Thanks for your help! It was recommended to me before, but I haven't tested it so far. Maybe I have to skip OSC77 anyway, since tomorrow I'll leave for summer holiday. Let's see... Charlatan looks quite interesting :)

Charlatan reminds me of CM 101, very similar knobs.
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

Already started on a track, this time something completely different (no trance or acid) :tu:

https://soundcloud.com/krisl/osc77

Not yet ready to submit it to the OSC Soundcloud group, but it's a start. I kinda like the vibe in it :phones:

So far I have 10 instances of Charlatan, running in Bitwig 1.8.

All feedback is welcome :D

Reefius wrote:Already started on a track, this time something completely different (no trance or acid) :tu:
Fabulous. I love the vibe to this. Lovely pads, nice solid percs. :)

RichardSemper wrote:Fabulous. I love the vibe to this. Lovely pads, nice solid percs. :)
Thanks! :)

rockingricky wrote:
On many sounds the decay slider of the AMP ENV is down. :idea:
Pulling the slider up can fix it.
That is not what's causing this here, it's simply not working properly some times.

Glad I checked on this... I love Charlatan! Sorry to hear about any troubles; v1 was absolutely rock solid during the OSC. I might have to dust off the old windows box for this.

I think... maybe... that the charlatan OSC had the record for most instances of a synth used (something like 82+?) by Ninjamode. And v2 is supposed to be more efficient. I might see if I can break that record... ;)

wagtunes wrote:
Parduz wrote:How do i choose/browse presets?
I can't find anything related in this UI:
It has no built in menu system. You choose the presets from your DAW system, however it handles synths like this. I use Cubase and I use its system which allows me to save patches in a Cubase bank. I can also import other banks through the Cubase import fxb function.

Sorry I can't be of more help but certainly you've had to run into other synths like this. I have tons of them. All of them free.
...i'm sorry if i sound dumb but.... so what about fsB (banks) for it? How, in FLStudio, can i access the single sounds in the bank?
Ensoniq SQ1, Korg Wavestation A/D

Parduz wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Parduz wrote:How do i choose/browse presets?
I can't find anything related in this UI:
It has no built in menu system. You choose the presets from your DAW system, however it handles synths like this. I use Cubase and I use its system which allows me to save patches in a Cubase bank. I can also import other banks through the Cubase import fxb function.

Sorry I can't be of more help but certainly you've had to run into other synths like this. I have tons of them. All of them free.
...i'm sorry if i sound dumb but.... so what about fsB (banks) for it? How, in FLStudio, can i access the single sounds in the bank?
As I don't have FL Studio, I can't answer that. But I assume that every DAW has its own wrapper system. I haven't tried Charlatan in MuLab or Reaper yet, but I'll bet that their wrappers will also allow me to access the presets in some way as well as import banks.

If you like, I can go to each DAW and take screen prints of each wrapper system and post them here. Maybe then you'll get some idea of what I'm talking about.

Let me know.

from Thu May 14, 2009 6:19 am
VSTJuNkiE wrote:In the instrument panel window click on the down arrow in the top LEFT corner. In the drop down menu click IMPORT VST BANK/PRESET. It will then open up a folder on your HD where you(hopefully) put the fxb/fxp for said synth.
might be a bit different now,not too sure

@Parduz:

You see those 3 icons on Fruity Wrapper (the green one and the other two)? Click on the middle one:

On the right side, on the "Presets" area, click on the "Load" button:

Choose the fxb bank you'd like to use:

Then click on the upper left arrow key, and you'll be able to access the menu with the individual presets from the fxb bank:

I have to say, I like FL Studio's wrapper better than the Cubase one. Now that's a really nice system, even if it's a little more involved than the Cubase one.

Return to “Instruments”