Mopho, the good, the bad. The MiniBrute

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to agree that the best thing for learning would be a system that has everything neatly organized and included. The mapping of controls might get messy especially if you are just starting up. Going for an all analog synth might be foolish too, as you tend to loose important features, or pay hundreds more if they are analog. My advice would be to go with a used Nord Rack instead. It has a stellar sound with an interface that includes all the controls. Costs prob less too and has polyphony and multitimbrality if you decide you need that someday.

Btw. Audio Input in Mopho too. Haven't used it though..

I have no experience of MiniBrute myself. No midi control or patch storage scared me off that thing :)
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

Thanks for your input - very much appreciated. Any idea if the audio input in the Mopho can come through without any processing?

T-CM11 wrote:
bharris22 wrote:Is the Minibrute as flexible sonically as the Mopho appears to be?

No.
But the reverse is true as well: in some areas Mopho isn't as flexible as Minibrute. It can't do band pass, high pass or notch filtering. Minibrute's trianlge wave 'Metalizer' effect is also an original idea giving sounds Mopho can not provide.

To be honest, those two complement each other perfectly. Mopho offers a good sounding 24 db/oct filter sounds, lots of bass and grit and 'phatness' thanks to those oscillators, but Minibrute offers full hands on experience, a greater variety of filter timbres, and some cool new sounds thanks to the aforementioned Metalizer effect, the Brute Factor overdrive and some other tricks. Its bass isn't that bad either. A different flavour, for sure, but still very usable, especially with that two octave sub oscillator. Minibrute's envelopes are very fast so it has plenty of snap, which is great for some bass sounds.

Get yourself a second hand Mopho (to save the pennies) and then get Minibrute when they are widely available. You will have a superb combo.

Otherwise I'd also look at Dominion X and Studio Electronics Boomstar series.

(I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating what might have been said before).
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Excellent advice - thank you!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this seems like the correct place to ask this question.

I own both the micro and mini brute, and while I think they make a very nice combo, I may be able to trade my microbrute se for a mopho. I'll lose some of the benefits of running them together, like the scenarios shown in the Marc Doty and fluxwithit videos, and the little bit of patching I can do with the two together. I should also mention that these are the only two analog synths I own.

But from what I've read, the mopho seems very versatile and has a different enough sound to complement the minibrute nicely. The major complaint about the mopho seems to be regarding its interface, but the midi implementation looks quite comprehensive and I could map it to a controller to at least make it a little easier (and have enough controllers for this purpose).

So my question basically is which one better complements the minibrute, the micro or the mopho? Should I keep the mini - micro combo because of its sonic and functional similarities which enhance each other's use and value (particularly for the micro, which imo is nice on its own but is at its best in combination with something else), or whether I should take the mopho because the mopho - mini combo would bring added value in an entirely different way i.e. by adding a completely different character with a synth that is deeper and more capable standalone than the micro and in fact both, at least on paper, and can also save patches.

maschinelf wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this seems like the correct place to ask this question.

I own both the micro and mini brute, and while I think they make a very nice combo, I may be able to trade my microbrute se for a mopho. I'll lose some of the benefits of running them together, like the scenarios shown in the Marc Doty and fluxwithit videos, and the little bit of patching I can do with the two together. I should also mention that these are the only two analog synths I own.

But from what I've read, the mopho seems very versatile and has a different enough sound to complement the minibrute nicely. The major complaint about the mopho seems to be regarding its interface, but the midi implementation looks quite comprehensive and I could map it to a controller to at least make it a little easier (and have enough controllers for this purpose).

So my question basically is which one better complements the minibrute, the micro or the mopho? Should I keep the mini - micro combo because of its sonic and functional similarities which enhance each other's use and value (particularly for the micro, which imo is nice on its own but is at its best in combination with something else), or whether I should take the mopho because the mopho - mini combo would bring added value in an entirely different way i.e. by adding a completely different character with a synth that is deeper and more capable standalone than the micro and in fact both, at least on paper, and can also save patches.
edit: If you are really want to lose the micro(which I would NOT do as i have both the mini and the micro) I would look at the Novation BS2 over the mopho, but that's just me and yeah I have the BS2 as well
Last edited by whitecloud on Tue May 26, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey whitecloud, thanks for the suggestion!

So what you're saying is, having both the mini and micro and given the choice of trading the micro for another synth, you'd lose the micro? I still can't decide whether I should do that, because I do feel they make a good combo. Especially for the micro, which I'll admit I am a tad disappointed with in terms of its capabilities, but definitely not with the sound, really benefits from being paired with another synth, or a modular setup. Minibrute is great as a standalone synth, but the micro does leave me wanting a bit more.

And now I also have an offer to trade the micro for a mininova. BS2 is something that interests me, though unfortunately it isn't an option right now. The Pulse 2 is an option though, cause of its small size I could get a relative to get it for around $450 and won't have to pay duty, which seems like a good deal. But thats something I will have to buy, while my opportunity to trade the micro is exclusive to the mininova or mopho offers.
Last edited by maschinelf on Tue May 26, 2015 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't think this would replace any of the synths you are considering, but you might want to think about also picking up a Korg Volca Keys. I have all the Volcas, but the Keys is by far the most interesting one. Since it has a standard MIDI in, you could control it from the Minibrute and then route the Volca audio back through the Minibrute. Its a very economical way to get some additional tones and multiple oscillators out of the Brute for a fatter sound.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

maschinelf wrote:Hey whitecloud, thanks for the suggestion!

So what you're saying is, having both the mini and micro and given the choice of trading the micro for another synth, you'd lose the micro? I still can't decide whether I should do that, because I do feel they make a good combo. Especially for the micro, which I'll admit I am a tad disappointed with in terms of its capabilities, but definitely not with the sound, really benefits from being paired with another synth, or a modular setup. Minibrute is great as a standalone synth, but the micro does leave me wanting a bit more.

And now I also have an offer to trade the micro for a mininova. BS2 is something that interests me, though unfortunately it isn't an option right now. The Pulse 2 is an option though, cause of its small size I could get a relative to get it for around $450 and won't have to pay duty, which seems like a good deal. But thats something I will have to buy, while my opportunity to trade the micro is exclusive to the mininova or mopho offers.
Ooopps. typo. I meant to say I would not lose the micro, I didn't put NOT in my post. Reason being is teaming up the 2 brutes is pretty cool, cv or midi. Also you have two filters that are the same for stereo. I plan on doing that by running my Miniak into both of the brutes audio in to warm up that VA. I wouldn't get a mininova, Pulse 2, yes to that. Odd that you can do a straight up trade, your microbrute for the Mopho or mininova, both cost about 100 more than the micro. If you really need polyphony and don't care about real analog I guess the mininova, Have you really exhausted all the capabilities with the Microbrute. The Mark Doty vids are an eye opener and I am sure other's have did similar videos on YouTube.
Another concern about the Mopho is reliability, since the one you may trade for is used and out of warranty
I would hope the unit is solid build wise.

Yea I've spent a lot more time with both in the last two days, and think I'm gonna keep the micro. The price difference is what made me consider these offers in the first place, and I guess the reason it worked for them is because both their synths are out of warranty, while mine is still under warranty. The mininova I ruled out pretty soon after posting, and I think the mopho is out too. The mini and micro are great together, and the pulse seems far more interesting than a mopho when I'll be ready to get it in a few months.

Yea the Marc Doty videos are helpful, and you should also check out the fluxwithit video for some more cool ideas.

We've got the Korg MS-20 Mini on sale for $449.99 (less when you use the "Forum" coupon code), that might be a nice combo since you'll retain some of the modular capabilities and also get a new sound source. I personally prefer the MS-20 Mini over the Minibrute SE and Mopho:

jrrshop.com/korg

Also, we still have some Bass Station 2's left over from last weekend's $399 sale. PM me if you're interested in one of those for a lower price.

Another vote for the Dominion 1 - 3 OSC, Mood Voyager type spec for about £1000 (E1300)- amazing valkue, probably why there are always out of stock! I have one on order- hopefully end of June....

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/03/ ... nthesizer/

I currently am, running a minibrute with microbute via midi fed to the audio in, great combo if your budget only stretches to £500, 2 variable Osc's with a lot of hands on control (but no midi recall, personably nothing I miss on the Arturia as it is so easy to dial up something cool and it keeps you away from the same old pre-sets and makes your learn synthesis!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:via midi fed to the audio in
Must see pics of this newfangled interface!
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
SLiC wrote:via midi fed to the audio in
Must see pics of this newfangled interface!
:D
MIDI out mini to midi in micro
Audio out micro to external audio in on mini (pre filter)
Last edited by SLiC on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Doesn't the SQ-1 and Beatstep do MIDI out to stereo jacks and use some weird dongle for DIN? What happens if you plug that into something else I wonder...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”