Looking for a brickwall limiter for < $80

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there is a CM version of TB barricade on the Computer music Magazine dvd
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Yep, AOM Invisible Limiter and Barricade. Get both and buy a few beers with the left over $30 :wink:

Elephant. A little more expensive (or plenty of cheaper second hand licenses around which fits), but it worth extra sonic destruction arsenal. It can go from clean limiting to several (selectable) types of distortion or any middle ground, whatever you prefer. And will certainly get more offensive than you and your listeners like, which will make them turn your music off.

If you certainly want to be punched in the face by some listener, nothing works better and louder than hard digital clipping. It's expensive mastering sound, like Vlado Meller.

dekadenz wrote:Elephant. A little more expensive (or plenty of cheaper second hand licenses around which fits), but it worth extra sonic destruction arsenal. It can go from clean limiting to several (selectable) types of distortion or any middle ground, whatever you prefer. And will certainly get more offensive than you and your listeners like, which will make them turn your music off.

If you certainly want to be punched in the face by some listener, nothing works better and louder than hard digital clipping. It's expensive mastering sound, like Vlado Meller.
Or, he could get Elephant's little brother, EBusLim for $79 and stay within his budget:
http://www.voxengo.com/product/ebuslim/

But, I'd still give AOM and ToneBoosters a look before doing that... :tu:

Why bother getting stripped version when full is around? EbusLim is not useful for anything except simple mix squash, Elephant can be used on tracks (drums in particular) for tone shaping. This is what separates really interesting limiter from standard brickwall. At least poster won't regret and will have uses for the plugin when he will get tired of squash (on some streaming sites it's already became obsolete due to automatic level control).

AOM is not invisible at all, it has nearly the worst aliasing and distortion (even with x16 oversampling). Yep, it can get very loud, but does it worth degrading the audio? Some material like metalcore could mask it so it appears ok on laptop speakers, but most good-sounding music won't tolerate it. It can be used only when audio quality is discardable and levels are everything.

On the other hand, agree with ToneBoosters barricade suggestion. This is classic lookahead limiter, there are cleaner ones around (like free Limiter #6), but it worth the money they asking and more configurable than #6.

If going classic oldschool low distortion brickwall route, I'd look into old Waves L1 or L2 without ARC and long release as well. They cannot get as loud as above, but for normal uses are nice and clean.

I'm obviously biased because I'm a DSP developer (although enthusiast), but I'm not doing brickwalls or any competiting product so could qualify.
Last edited by dekadenz on Sun May 24, 2015 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Limiter6
yzcoruhT

dekadenz wrote:Why bother getting stripped version when full is around?
Because, as the OP said, his budget is less than $80. Please pay attention... :wink:

Waves L1 is often on reduction , for a little more ATM you can have L3.

Return to “Effects”