Guitar Gadgets 1.3.4 support topic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Guitar Gadgets

GaryG > now I remember having tried something like that on a very old Zoom multi-effect pedal I had. Indeed it is a fun effect to use ! I'm going to try to develop something like that, I might release it as another plug-in if you are interested :)

Echoes in the Attic > I can't believe I have forgotten to change the name of the parameters. I'm going to update this asap

I have updated Guitar Gadgets with new automation names :tu:

I had a little fun this morning also with a few other plug-ins. I have been able to reproduce the "Auto-Swell" effect with a simple Noise Gate. I parametered it with a very short Release, an average Hold around 300 ms (very important if you want some sustain, an hysteresis controld in dB may do that too), and a variable attack / threshold, with the attack which can be very high (0.5-2 seconds). I plugged my guitar into that and a guitar amp / cabinet simulation on a clean channel.

To have a more interesting sound, I added a compressor before the Noise Gate so my playing won't have too much influence on the Auto-Swell rendering, a reverb at the end of the chain, and a few effects between the noise gate and the guitar amp sim : a delay, a chorus, a tremolo...

Then I played a few old Porcupine Tree songs :love:

Nice! That was quick!

Wolfen666 wrote:Then I played a few old Porcupine Tree songs :love:
:love: Which songs? Fadeaway and The Sky Moves Sideways pt 1 by chance?

The Sky Moves Sideways pt 1
Yes :love: :hihi:

Wolfen666 wrote:I had a little fun this morning also with a few other plug-ins. I have been able to reproduce the "Auto-Swell" effect with a simple Noise Gate. I parametered it with a very short Release, an average Hold around 300 ms (very important if you want some sustain, an hysteresis controld in dB may do that too), and a variable attack / threshold, with the attack which can be very high (0.5-2 seconds). I plugged my guitar into that and a guitar amp / cabinet simulation on a clean channel.

To have a more interesting sound, I added a compressor before the Noise Gate so my playing won't have too much influence on the Auto-Swell rendering, a reverb at the end of the chain, and a few effects between the noise gate and the guitar amp sim : a delay, a chorus, a tremolo...

Then I played a few old Porcupine Tree songs :love:
That sounds great, so do-able then? :)

If you were looking at making a plug of this then might I suggest a longer attack time, maybe logarithmic so you had more control with the shorter times? I like messing around with extremely ambient sounds (think Stars of the Lid) and think two seconds could be a little short. I guess if it's too long though the guitar will start to fade again before it's fully open. I would have thought five seconds or so would do.

Y'know, I've never listened to Porcupine Tree even once... I guess I should? :)

Love Porcupines!!! :love:

Y'know, I've never listened to Porcupine Tree even once... I guess I should?
Sure ! I love the first albums (have a listen for the live Coma Divine) and In Absentia :love:

About the Auto-Swell... The truth is I had a look for it this week end, and I have finally found an envelope detector algorithm suitable for doing this effect :D I said earlier that I didn't want to add any gadget anymore in the plug-in but well... Now that I have the algorithm... :cry:

I wonder if it would be great to have three knobs : threshold / sensitivity, attack time, and wet like in the Strymon Mobius : you have just the auto-swell on 0%, and at 100% you have the auto-swell + chorus + delay + tremolo :D

Great news, you're the man! :D

A mix control sounds good, can see the possibilities.

You realise with this and the reverb and microcassette etc Guitar Gadgets could be all you need for ambient guitar... :)

Cheers.

Moreover I wanted to put a chorus inside, but I didn't want something too "classic" or obvious, so now I think I have a satisfactory way to add one in Guitar Gadgets with the Auto-Swell. I might add a few presets using this after also. And don't forget the Marshallizer gadget with the hot switch and a little gain ;)

I have just finished the work on the new gadget called "Sideways" :D I need to test the auto-swell effect a little before releasing the update. I will make presets for it too :wink:

gotta try these out, man. thanks!

I'm sorry about the delay for the release, I was doing presets with the Larsenator, and then I decided to rework it :hihi:

No worries, you're efforts are all much appreciated. :)

Guitar Gadgets has been released ! Enjoy the new Auto-Swell effect ! :D

For information, I planned to do a huge update with the Sideways gadgets and some other stuff, but I didn't have time to work on the extra features this month, so I have decided to do a smaller update right now, and finish later :wink: I need to work a little on the Larsenator as I told you. I have developed also new convolution engines that will allow me to decrease A LOT the CPU load of the Micro-Cassette and the Convolutor gadgets. Finally, I will add a gadget I wanted to make for a long time. At this time, I will try to stop developing new stuff for real :lol:

As a side note, I solved an issue in the preset system which makes it work a lot better, but the presets from the version 1.2.0 might be incompatible with the 1.3.0 now. I hope you didn't create too much presets during the last month :neutral:

About the new sideways gadgets, don't hesitate to give me your remarks. The sens knob has a lot of influence. If you put it at 100%, you will basically have a standard chorus+tremolo effect. If it is too low and the attack too knob to high, getting the auto-swell effect will be complicated.
Last edited by Ivan_C on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”