Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TBH I wouldn't really know what a bad spring reverb was, unless it was terrible. I have a Fender Sidekick Reverb (35) that I bought in the 80s and I still love it. How good is that one?

If I could find an amp that was a tube (i.e. warmer) version of that combined with a lower wattage JCM800, I think it would be my dream one. I think Vonhatski does something close, but high wattage and high prices.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

khanyz wrote:TBH I wouldn't really know what a bad spring reverb was, unless it was terrible. I have a Fender Sidekick Reverb (35) that I bought in the 80s and I still love it. How good is that one?
The reverb of the Blues Jr. and Hot Rod Deluxe are opamp driven so I imagine they'll sound similar to the reverb of your Sidekick Reverb. Vintage Fenders have tube driven reverbs and that has a different sound. Still, an opamp driven long pan spring reverb sounds pretty great to me. :)
If I could find an amp that was a tube (i.e. warmer) version of that combined with a lower wattage JCM800, I think it would be my dream one. I think Vonhatski does something close, but high wattage and high prices.
You're looking for the Morgan Amps AC20 Deluxe but that's big money and doesn't have reverb.

I got my Framus Ruby Riot II for $650 and I've seen Ruby Riot I's sell for around that same price. The Ruby Riot I is Vox on the clean channel and JCM800 on the gain channel, while the Ruby Riot II is Vox on the clean channel and Matchless on the gain channel. I've played a Ruby Riot I and it has one of the best high channels I've ever heard. These are big, heavy, and loud amps, though.

^ Many thanks for that. I'll take a look at your suggestions.

I think the overriding thought is I need to wait and save up. I waited 20 years to get the guitar, so another one to get the amp isn't so bad.

Cheers.

Another thing you can do is use a tube preamp into the main amp input of your Sidekick Reverb 35. I believe that will still give you access to the spring reverb. Make sure to get an actual tube preamp and not a tube distortion.

I've been thinking about that. I have a Blackstar HT-DUAL which I use to make the Blackheart 5w a bit more flexible. I've tried it with the Sidekick and it sound good, very very indie (which I like).

I'll take a look at some preamps, it may be the way to go whilst I save.

I looked into the Vonhatski Purelight combo and it would't take much to mod it to half power (so 25w or 12w switchable). They are local (as are Hiwatt incidentally) so I could get them to do it. I'll reassess once I have a budget.

Cheers.

If you haven't already, try your HT-Dual into the Main Amp input on the back of your Sidekick Reverb. It could be cool!

You can cut an amp's power by cutting out half the power tubes (in a 4 power tube amp), adding a pentode/triode switch, or installing lower power tubes like 6V6's or EL84's. I personally think those first two options sound bad but I love changing the power tubes. You just have to make sure the amp can be biased low enough.

I haven't tried that yet but will do. I usually put a Marshall SuperVibe (or Cool Cat Chorus) pedal after the HT-Dual.

The Vonhatski already has a half power switch, so I could just put in EL84s to halve the power. I'm sure they would adjust the bias.

I'm convincing myself that it is the amp for me, I just need to save the cash now. The only thing that is a bit weird is that I'll end up with a Yorkshire Amp and a Lancastrian Guitar. I know the War of the Roses is over but it might be asking for trouble :wink:.

Thanks for all the help.

My new favorite guitar... trying to figure out how to hide from wife.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/californ ... -redburst/

:-o

It needs to have transformers that can accommodate EL84's. If it's a 50 watt amp, the transformers should be changed and the chassis might not fit the smaller transformers.

We modded a 50 watt amp to handle 6V6's and the resistor that is sucking up all that extra power is a death trap. Highly not recommended.

DHR53 wrote:My new favorite guitar... trying to figure out how to hide from wife.

Should be easy, seeing as how it's completely inconspicuous and doesn't stand out at all. ;)

Uncle E wrote:It needs to have transformers that can accommodate EL84's. If it's a 50 watt amp, the transformers should be changed and the chassis might not fit the smaller transformers.

We modded a 50 watt amp to handle 6V6's and the resistor that is sucking up all that extra power is a death trap. Highly not recommended.
OK, Once I have the cash I'll talk to them about it. I know solid state electronics (from my degree) but not the vacuum stuff. I can learn in the meantime so will know roughly the work involved.

Eastwood do have some nice weirdness

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/airline- ... -redburst/

Uncle E wrote:It needs to have transformers that can accommodate EL84's. If it's a 50 watt amp, the transformers should be changed and the chassis might not fit the smaller transformers.

Uh, it seems it would be more than a deathtrap from incidental probe poking, how are you dissipating heat? That sounds like a bad idea stacked on a bad idea.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Actually, I was impressed by how it sounded in the demo video. Sort of a Tele kind of thing with some great twangy stuff. Could have been the song though. Nice. I need a vibrato, my tele is "a tele" and my strat is a hardtail alas... Need some wangy action posthaste!

:)

SJ_Digriz wrote:Uh, it seems it would be more than a deathtrap from incidental probe poking, how are you dissipating heat? That sounds like a bad idea stacked on a bad idea.
Heat sink. There aren't reliability issues but I agree that it's a bad idea. We'll be converting it to Mullard EL34's.

DHR53 wrote:My new favorite guitar... trying to figure out how to hide from wife.

Tell your Mrs that you're getting into healthy canoeing and she's just found your new paddle.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”