Nature, a guitar, a mandolin, a synth, and some reverb

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ew wrote:OK- semi-lucid commentary...

I like this a lot, John. I see the early Floyd reference that was alluded to earlier; Charles should be chuffed.
And yeah, it does remind me of the area. :D

:hail:

ew
Thanks Eric!

I'll relay your words to Charles.

;)

Updated links for this old bit of kvriana:
herodotus wrote:So, in an obscure little corner of planet earth called Kanabec County, Minnesota, there is a ranger tower. Specifically, a forest ranger tower, used to track possible forest fires, in a part of the world where forest fires have a rather grim reputation.

This particular ranger tower looks kind of like this picture:

And when you get into the little house on the top (as we did many times, illegally) you can see for miles around. And you can hear the wind whistling through the metal framework of the tower, which has this weird sort of filter-sweep effected sound.

The surrounding landscape, which looks like this from a satellite:

is quite beautiful. Most of the trees are birches, which are quite lovely en masse, especially in the fall.

In any case, there is something kind of special about sitting up in that ranger tower on a windy, sunlit day, and this is an attempt to capture that.

The Ranger Tower

This is lovely. I missed it the first time around. The guitar playing is lovely, the sounds are lovely, the mood... Have I mentioned the word "lovely" yet?

I have the "stupid fingers" myself (fine motor skills are crap), so listening to guitar playing like this makes me think about picking up my guitar (to remind myself how NOT easy playing one is).

While I'm not a fan of perpetual guitar noodling, I greatly respect the skill and the love with which a player goes at it. It's really cool to have a partnership where you're welcome to pull pieces of your bandmate's playing into a more structured tune. I think that's actually a great way to work. Very complimentary. I sometimes wish someone would reassemble all my own musical bits and pieces in different combinations. Better yet, run the computer for me, too, hah hah.

I feel the Pink Floyd sense about this piece, too. I'm wondering if that's partially the playing near the bridge as much as the classical (?) playing style. I like that plucky and bright sound.

I enjoyed the backstory, too :-) Thanks for sharing and bumping the thread!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Beautiful! It sounds like what I've always wished Explosions In the Sky sounded like. The backstory adds a wonderful dimension.

I think I remember this from the first time around. Not sure why I didn't comment then. It's quite pretty. I enjoyed it. Thanks.
No longer a moderator.

I was hearing a much later PF vibe, something like Goodbye Blue Sky with a dash of Led Zep too. Whatever, it sounded great to me. Nicely mixed too. It suits the current weather here in the UK. The sky looks very similar to the one that features in you photo.

Good work :)

Ah yes! Remember this well - and still play it regularly when I'm out in the car :hyper: :tu:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”