Omnesphere: SSD or HDD?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, guys!

I am totally out of space on my computer as well as out of SATA ports. I only have one 3 Gb/sec SATA port left, all 6 Gb/sec ports are in use. I am thinking to buy Omnesphere 2, which is over 50 Gb. Folks on gamers' forum suggest to get large HDD. I run all my software synths from SSDs. Do you run Omnesphere from SSD or HDD? Will it load comfortably from HDD connected to the 3 Gb/sec SATA port? Thanks.
Last edited by Astralv on Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Astralv wrote:Hey, guys!

I am totally out of space on my computer as well as out of SATA ports. I only have one 3 Gb/sec SATA port left, all 6 Gb/sec ports are in use. I am thinking to buy Omnesphere 2, which is over 50 Gb. Folks on gamers' forum suggest to get large HDD. I run all my software synths from SSDs. Do you run Omnesphere from SSD or HDD? Will it load comfortably from HDD connected to the 3 Gb/sec SATA port? Thanks.
a conventional hdd won't even get close to saturating the 3g/s sata bus (not even a 10k rpm one - sata 3 will in theory go to 300mb/s, a 10k raptor is still only going to get to about 200mb/s)

of course the other option if you've got some pciE slots left would be a pciE ssd - I've seen a few relatively cheap cards that left you shove a m.2 ssd card on a pciE carrier.

http://www.amazon.com/M2P4A-PCIe-2-0-NG ... B00IPO7YCU

If you don't actually NEED a heap more space I'd just grab a 128g m2 ssd, shove it on a card and install omnisphere on that, cos I think you'll find omni slow on hdd if you're used to having everything on ssd

the addonics pciE->m2 card is even cheaper, and seems to review ok (but I do like the idea of a decent heatsink/spreader for the m2 card - espec if the card is going to end up in a relatively full machine with poor airflow around the cards)

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6422/a ... index.html

jdnz wrote: If you don't actually NEED a heap more space I'd just grab a 128g m2 ssd
he will eat that space up in a few weeks with sample libraries.... just go with a 20tb raid setup.

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Thunderbolt ... B00AX9ZAIU
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Onmesphere? :?

Make sure you buy the plugin you meant to buy

Astralv wrote:Will it load comfortably from HDD connected to the 3 Gb/sec SATA port? Thanks.
Yes.

Numanoid wrote:Onmesphere? :?

Make sure you buy the plugin you meant to buy
Hoo crs, customer is always right! :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I would highly recommend putting it on an SSD for quick patch auditioning. Patches load 4x+ faster depending on the SSD.
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

My motherboard does not support M.2. Did you mean there is a card for PCIe to M.2?

Another issue is that my graphic card covers PCIe port- I will have to move it and whole system can become unstable. Did anybody move it before?

Astralv wrote:My motherboard does not support M.2. Did you mean there is a card for PCIe to M.2?

Another issue is that my graphic card covers PCIe port- I will have to move it and whole system can become unstable. Did anybody move it before?
I have moved mine before with no problems.

Honestly just get a 256/512 GB SATA3 Samsung 840 EVO or Pro and you will be set. Yes, M.2 is more than twice as fast at certain things but its also twice as expensive.

I plan on doing M.2 my next build when my motherboard supports it but I am very happy with my Samsung 840 Pro performance (which is running Omnisphere / Kontakt stuff)

I ordered Samsung Evo 850 500 Gb thinking I will try to upgrade my lap top. But it getting old and I can use SSD for Omnesphere instead. But I only have 3 gb/ sec SATA left or I have to move graphics card and I am afraid everything will get unstable... If I move it, I would need PCIe to SATA card?

I am thinking the same thing- rebuild my music computer when Windows 10 released. Also my build is 2013...

Astralv wrote:I ordered Samsung Evo 850 500 Gb thinking I will try to upgrade my lap top. But it getting old and I can use SSD for Omnesphere instead. But I only have 3 gb/ sec SATA left or I have to move graphics card and I am afraid everything will get unstable... If I move it, I would need PCIe to SATA card?

I am thinking the same thing- rebuild my music computer when Windows 10 released. Also my build is 2013...
Suggestion: move hard drives off of your SATA 6Gb/s ports and onto your 3Gb/s ports.

Then put your SSD on the 6Gb/s port.

You hard disks can't use 3Gb/s much less 6Gb/s :wink:
Last edited by Phorous on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you for the suggestion. The only HDD I have on 6 gb/sec is the one for recording. All others are SSDs. I filled 240 Gb C drive and 2 others with soft synths already. My MoBo only supports 4 6 gb/sec and 4 3 gb/sec.

Astralv wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. The only HDD I have on 6 gb/sec is the one for recording. All others are SSDs. I filled 240 Gb C drive and 2 others with soft synths already. My MoBo only supports 4 6 gb/sec and 4 3 gb/sec.
I guarantee you that HDD isn't even using close to 3Gb/s. Most hard disks top out around 100MB/s or 800Mbit/s... much less than 3Gb/s.

My hardrive 7200 rpm manages Omnisphere no problem while also running Electri6ity and Trilian at the same time. I wish I had a PCI-e SSD though to flick through Omnisphere and Trillians presets faster.

Return to “Instruments”